Change of boat name

Laresa

Featured Posts

Hi there everyone,

I have just got my first boat, exited as ...... ?

I'm looking at changing the name of my boat. Someone in passing said that there is some ceremony I have to do and also have to let Canal and River Trust know, so will call them tomorrow.

Do you know what the ceremony is? as it sounds like I have to get the boat on land somewhere, which could be difficult.

Will be looking at some stickers for the boat name 'Laresa' and maybe a design for underneath it. If anyone knows anyone.

Also looking for recommendations for new cruiser back cover to shelter from the rain when travelling.

Matt

21 minutes ago, Laresa said:

Hi there everyone,

I'm looking at changing the name of my boat. Someone in passing said that there is some ceremony I have to do and also have to let Canal and River Trust know, so will call them tomorrow.

Do you know what the ceremony is? as it sounds like I have to get the boat on land somewhere, which could be difficult.

Will be looking at some stickers for the boat name 'Laresa' and maybe a design for underneath it. If anyone knows anyone.

Also looking for recommendations for new cruiser back cover to shelter from the rain when travelling.

Matt

You can change the name yourself online in seconds. Just join CART website and you will see how to do it.

36 minutes ago, Laresa said:

Hi there everyone,

Matt

Welcome to the forum Matt. The two answere already given iutline the administrative proceedure required by C&ART. The "ceremony" you refer to is part of the

superstition

that surrounds boats, some people believe that you should only rename a boat when it is out of the water, and there are others, all of which are "old wive's tales".

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Just not true im afraid, all previous advice is likely to end in catastrophy..

There are strong rituals about changing the name of your boat, and if you have been observing that the moon has been getting bigger, then this is a portent that the god of man made craft is aware of your plans and sending you a message.

firstly the boat must be lifted from the canal in alignment with the major trade routes you intend to travel. So align  with the a5 if you are on the grand union, the a14 if on the nene, etc. the dock must align. If lifting get the boat dropped on the flow line.

secondly the ritualistic check to the goddess of the split pin must be carried out.

balms and potions should be massaged into the exposed panels. Those of some persuasions light ritual bonfires of horse excrement and pitch, to smear over themselves and the goddess of the cut, but the cult of toopack has mostly ended that.

finaly remember to drop the boat back in with the words i rename this boat ‘ and ‘

break a bottle of fullers esb on the stern

( and remember to tie a line on somewhere) 

you may think i am taking the proverbial, im not, when a certain ship was launched in liverpool , they planned to name it enterprise . However the docker swinging the hammer on the final baulk was thinking about what his wife had said last night about him being a bit premature. He swung the hammer just as the mayor of liverpool reading from the script ‘we pray this enterprise is a titanic commercial success

i name this ship .........

as a result the ship hit the water early on a word begining with t. ( a name never to be quoth at a launch) and had to be renamed .

This  is because the last word spoken as a boat enters the water is its name.

the rest is history.

be very careful.

if it is a dark side wide boat  being placed on a silken thread of narrowness that is especially unlucky, you will be cursed and the god of wanton depreciation and high cost will haunt you forever.

Have you been on the waccy baccy?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

you may think i am taking the proverbial, im not, when a certain ship was launched in liverpool , they planned to name it enterprise . However the docker swinging the hammer on the final baulk was thinking about what his wife had said last night about him being a bit premature. He swung the hammer just as the mayor of liverpool reading from the script ‘we pray this enterprise is a titanic commercial success

If you mean the Titanic, she was launched in Belfast although her home port was Liverpool as that is where the White Star Line had its headquarters.

Look ive only just got up , im building a house on the wrong side of the planet which is alien to me. All the measurements keep getting screwed up, and the cement mixer goes the wrong way round. I havent had my medication. In the middle of this someone needs to avoid a titanic catastrophy over boat renaming and you expect instant accuracy and recall.

no wonder boats keep getting named ferfucsake and mindyourhead by mistake.

take advice.

Belfast or liverpool who cares why let truth get in the way, we are lead by our peers and they have an upside down map, and keep climbing off the bus.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

As someone who has changed the name of their boat eight years ago, I can confirm that no retribution has been inflicted to date (crosses every digit). Sadly there was no ceremony, although it did happen to be out of the water at the time. I have to confess though, I still refer to her by her old name when I'm talking to her so maybe that helps.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Why you keep calling my dog "f off" when you know his name is Fido? ;)

My dad used to call our cat Cooking Fat.

Every time he came back from the pub he’d trip over the cat curled up in front of the fire and exclaim “I’ll kill that Cooking Fat!”

4 hours ago, Laresa said:

Hi there everyone,

Most of the first part of your post is covered above. Make sure the alignment in Roland's post is done accurately or it will be more than the gear box that breaks.

Now this cover at the back thingy. Have you actually tried motoring down a canal?

They have these road things that cross the canals now and again which would require rather a low cover therefore requiring you to stoop permanently rather than just now and again. If you are a 4 ft midget then it should be fine and I would recommend going ahead. 

We have two solutions.

1) use an umbrella.

2) Stay in bed.

We usually default to 2.

The person to ask is Mr Smelly cause it always rains where he is and he loves pram covers.

With decent wet weather gear, rain really isn't much of a problem. With a cruiser stern, that's a big area to cover - I never understand what happens to those things when you end up in the trees. 

The only thing I really hate is horizontal hail in your face, although my beard turning solid in freezing fog was a bit odd. These days I just stay put. 

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Just not true im afraid, all previous advice is likely to end in catastrophy..

There are strong rituals about changing the name of your boat, and if you have been observing that the moon has been getting bigger, then this is a portent that the god of man made craft is aware of your plans and sending you a message.

firstly the boat must be lifted from the canal in alignment with the major trade routes you intend to travel. So align  with the a5 if you are on the grand union, the a14 if on the nene, etc. the dock must align. If lifting get the boat dropped on the flow line.

secondly the ritualistic check to the goddess of the split pin must be carried out.

balms and potions should be massaged into the exposed panels. Those of some persuasions light ritual bonfires of horse excrement and pitch, to smear over themselves and the goddess of the cut, but the cult of toopack has mostly ended that.

finaly remember to drop the boat back in with the words i rename this boat ‘ and ‘

break a bottle of fullers esb on the stern

( and remember to tie a line on somewhere) 

i name this ship .........

as a result the ship hit the water early on a word begining with t. ( a name never to be quoth at a launch) and had to be renamed .

This  is because the last word spoken as a boat enters the water is its name.

the rest is history.

be very careful.

if it is a dark side wide boat  being placed on a silken thread of narrowness that is especially unlucky, you will be cursed and the god of wanton depreciation and high cost will haunt you forever.

You forgot the beer for all the forum members

:)

13 hours ago, Laresa said:

Hi there everyone,

Matt

This company may be able to help with covers.   https://www.kinvercanopies.co.uk/

16 hours ago, Laresa said:

Hi there everyone,

Matt

Where are you located? if in the MidlandsIi can recommend A J Canopies of Braunston :- http://www.ajcanopies.co.uk/