wiring behind stove

mboat01

Featured Posts

Complete boat refit - going to run wiring boxed in under gunwales (12v on one side, 230v on another). At one point this will mean the wiring running behind the stove (this will be tiled and stove insulation boarded to BS8511). Is this : (a) Safe generally ? - is there a risk of plastic round wires melting ??, and; (b) Ok in terms of BSS ?.

When I did the surround for my stove, I cut out the wall ply and replaced it with Cal-sil board (to maximise space) and there were a couple of wires in the void. I made sure they were well secured away from the back of the cal-sil board.

So, to try and help with your question, I think the devil is in the detail. The cal-sil board is very very good at stopping heat transfer - I've got a bit just sitting on the side by the stove that I haven't finished yet so I can access behind it (the washing machine!) and it never gets hot or even barely warm in there. 

If you have cal-sil board, and a decent sized space for the wires, and they are clipped more to the side away from the board, in my opinion you should be very ok. (you wouldn't want the wires getting any more than very slightly warm-ish because eventually they could degrade)

You could always stick a temperature probe in for a couple weeks, just to check what goes on in there.

This is the thing with nb's - one thing runs into another.

Good heat insulation between the cables and stove and an air gap between the back of the insulation board and the cable.  Not sure what cable you are using but arctic cable is usually rated up to 60c or higher. So a well installed stove installation should not be that hot behind the insulation board.

Thanks All. It will be a morso 1410 with min 45mm gap to tiles, 25mm silicate board, 10mm airgap (as per http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf) to the side walls. I'll line bottom of wire tray under gunwales behind stove with a base of 25mm silicate. If arctic cable has inc temp rating then I guess thats another reason to use it... pity about price !!! -- know any good suppliers ??

1 hour ago, Sassy Lass said:

Thanks All. It will be a morso 1410 with min 45mm gap to tiles, 25mm silicate board, 10mm airgap (as per http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf) to the side walls. I'll line bottom of wire tray under gunwales behind stove with a base of 25mm silicate. If arctic cable has inc temp rating then I guess thats another reason to use it... pity about price !!! -- know any good suppliers ??

Toolstation do you?

https://www.toolstation.com/arctic-pvc-cable-3183a/p24117

Just now, Sassy Lass said:

yes ! ... my concern is really about temps around say 100deg over many months/years degrading cable plastic, shorting out and it being a real pita to sort out, ie., needing tiling etc behind stove to be removed

If you’ve got temps above 100C behind the lining then you’ve made a real mess of installing the stove surround. It should be barely above ambient if done correctly.