5mm of water at back of boat

Featured Posts

Inspecting the hatch at the rear of my boat there is a pool of water about 5mm  deep. A couple of months ago my calorifier decided to dump all 55l of water into boay which I thought I'd all mopped up. Could this pool of water be coming from back then? The other inspection hatches middle and front show damp on the floor but only damp no water. Which I'm assuming can be put down to condensation?  There are no pipes leaking as far as I can tell  but this pool of water reappears every week or so since clarifier leak. This boat larks a real learning curve ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pirateringo said:

Inspecting the hatch at the rear of my boat there is a pool of water about 5mm  deep. A couple of months ago my calorifier decided to dump all 55l of water into boay which I thought I'd all mopped up. Could this pool of water be coming from back then? The other inspection hatches middle and front show damp on the floor but only damp no water. Which I'm assuming can be put down to condensation?  There are no pipes leaking as far as I can tell  but this pool of water reappears every week or so since clarifier leak. This boat larks a real learning curve ?

Yes it could easily be from a previous problem. It often takes a long time for all water to accumulate at a low point. It may also be some window leakage and or condensation adding to it. Its nowt to worry about, many many boats have water in the bilge at some point. Suck it out with a wet vac and again and again until all gone. Best done in summer weather and keep checking it. Some people worry about it rusting the baseplate but in reality that takes a very long time.

Probably a bit left from the flood. Condensation is also a factor, we are getting loads right now. As Mrsmelly says, remove it and keep an eye on things. A little water goes a long way in a boat, and without fail it turns up somewhere.

I can't visualise 5mm but it sounds like a tiny amount - perhaps a quarter of an inch or even less? What's the problem?  Your bilge pump probably won'tr pump it out, as it is so very shallow, but apparently cat litter will absorb small pools of water.

33 minutes ago, CV32 said:

Cat litter can be messy to then clear up - I use nappies (cheapest from lidl or aldi) - great for soaking up quite large puddles from the bilge etc

So do I. In fact I leave one in the back of the accommodation bilge BUT you have to be a bit careful.  If you leave them for more than a day or so they tend to absorb so much water the "wet side" splits open unless lifted very carefully. This dumps a load of jelly into the bilge.

Probably the best thing to use when you have a bit of water in the engine tray because the contaminated water can be disposed of in the waste bin.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

So do I. In fact I leave one in the back of the accommodation bilge BUT you have to be a bit careful.  If you leave them for more than a day or so they tend to absorb so much water the "wet side" splits open unless lifted very carefully. This dumps a load of jelly into the bilge.

Probably the best thing to use when you have a bit of water in the engine tray because the contaminated water can be disposed of in the waste bin.

I have had good results with cat litter placed inside of ladies' tights (not when I am wearing them obviously.)
Easy to clear up after they have absorbed the water out of the bilges.

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I have had good results with cat litter placed inside of ladies' tights (not when I am wearing them obviously.)

What a good idea. There are some very clever people on the site. :clapping:

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

And did Mrs C notice that you had borrowed her tights? ?

I used to wear ladies tights under my leathers during my winter bike days. They were very warm (honest it wasn't a fetish.) I got carted into a&e late one night after rearranging the arse end of a mk3 cortina. Even though I was only semi conscious, I remember the lovely nurses laughing at my tights.

2 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I used to wear ladies tights under my leathers during my winter bike days. They were very warm (honest it wasn't a fetish.) I got carted into a&e late one night after rearranging the arse end of a mk3 cortina. Even though I was only semi conscious, I remember the lovely nurses laughing at my tights.

That brought back a memory of me saving up my laddered ones for my brother. He'd take them back to barracks with him after army leave. He and his army mates wore them when out on manoeuvres. Poor dad never understood, he never understood why men would use shampoo and hand cream either :)  

5 hours ago, catweasel said:

Perhaps fishnets were a little to OTT for them? Oh damn, I mentioned fish, Rusty will be on like shot.

On 21/02/2019 at 08:52, Tony Brooks said:

I’m currently using puppy training pads they are about 50cm x 50cm and a few pence each (10-12p ) and lay flat under the engine.

not sure if they are absorbent as nappies but seem pretty good to me 

11 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I’m currently using puppy training pads they are about 50cm x 50cm and a few pence each (10-12p ) and lay flat under the engine.

not sure if they are absorbent as nappies but seem pretty good to me 

I use aldi or lidl cheapo nappies. They cost peanuts and soak up well. Dont leave them down too long though, only a day or so or they make one ooooge mess. Dont ask me how I know this fact.