Featured Posts

Lots of modern boaters like modern signwriting including a few cartoon characters or little pictures, if you can do that then you might find a bit of extra work and won't be competing the the likes of Dave Moore who is very unlikely to do that sort of thing (it might even be dangerous to ask him :))

A slight problem is that much signwriting gets done when the boat gets a repaint and quite a few boat painters will do the signwriting themselves, in fact for a few boat painters I suspect the writing is the fun bit that makes the rest of the job worthwhile.  Can you paint boats?????

.................Dave

36 minutes ago, dmr said:

Lots of modern boaters like modern signwriting including a few cartoon characters or little pictures, if you can do that then you might find a bit of extra work and won't be competing the the likes of Dave Moore who is very unlikely to do that sort of thing (it might even be dangerous to ask him :))

A slight problem is that much signwriting gets done when the boat gets a repaint and quite a few boat painters will do the signwriting themselves, in fact for a few boat painters I suspect the writing is the fun bit that makes the rest of the job worthwhile.  Can you paint boats?????

.................Dave

Oh ? is he a bit of a traditionalist? 

I love doing quirky creative stuff ? 

I am a qualified painter and decorator but I've never painted a boat so I'm gonna go with no... Lol 

Yes I think I got quite lucky with the last boat I did as the guy who painted it wasn't a signwriter so he did the painting and I did the writing and painted the ducks (on the boat, not the actual ducks?) but since I've started looking into the boat route I've noticed a lot of people seem to do both.

I’m more than a bit of a traditionalist, rather a dyed in the wool dinosaur type, but after more than half a century around boats, what else would you expect? Thank you to those who offered positive comments on my work. Good luck with your venture, Sarah, I’m happy to share pictures of the sort of thing I do, happy to speak too. Ginny Barlow works around the K & A canal, I had some input into her work years ago. Might be worth touching base. You are more than welcome to the offbeat, wacky stuff....I’ve yet to be persuaded to paint a wine glass clutching frog dancing down anyone’s cabin side!! 

Phil, by the way, is still working and has relocated somewhere in Cheshire. Not been in touch for a while.

PM me if I can help at all.

• Greenie 2

Dino Dave the dinosaur has been busy

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3455web/3455abnb.php?BoatID=3455

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3456web/3456abnb.php?BoatID=3456

and of course he did mine too. Trad signwriting art at its best.

20160517_184017.jpg

Edited by mark99
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

20160517_184017.jpg

Wow ? that is beautiful work. Did he do all the pictures on the inside too they're really pretty! 

8 hours ago, dave moore said:

I’m more than a bit of a traditionalist, rather a dyed in the wool dinosaur type, but after more than half a century around boats, what else would you expect? Thank you to those who offered positive comments on my work. Good luck with your venture, Sarah, I’m happy to share pictures of the sort of thing I do, happy to speak too. Ginny Barlow works around the K & A canal, I had some input into her work years ago. Might be worth touching base. You are more than welcome to the offbeat, wacky stuff....I’ve yet to be persuaded to paint a wine glass clutching frog dancing down anyone’s cabin side!! 

Phil, by the way, is still working and has relocated somewhere in Cheshire. Not been in touch for a while.

PM me if I can help at all.

Thank you Dave I really appreciate that, I would love to see your work and any tips and advice you can throw my way would be amazing ?

Nothing wrong with being a traditionalist, I was taught to write by a man who had been signwriting railway carriages for 40 years before he worked at the brewery, everything I was taught was traditional pub style until I started doing my own stuff and people started asking for more modern things. I loved to watch him work it was almost hypnotic ? 

That's great, I will try and look her up thank you ? 

I noticed Phil does courses up near Liverpool, I might have to drop him a message and see when the next one is, I've been a to a couple of courses in the past and I find it really interesting to see how others techniques differ and get tips  ?

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

Traditional

ad-1.jpg.bdd3adfaa45bdc01ff34fcfdf94a48aa.jpg

Not so

Sustrans%20NB.jpg

That traditional one is beautiful ? but I have to admit I think the 'not so' one is kinda funky ? sorry 

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

20160517_184017.jpg

Dave did ours as well,he is my signwriting hero.

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, RichM said:

FYI I have done two things:

1. Moved this topic from links directory forum to the general boating forum

2. Left a link in the links directory forum back to the topic in question, so that it can be found and to ensure that it still serves its original purpose as intended by the OP.

Due to how the forum permissions are set for the Links Directory forum, all posts require Moderator approval and this was causing an issue with the ordering of posts and causing frustration among some members.

Prior to now I don't believe this has been an issue given that the Links Directory forum is not typically used for discussion as evident from previous topics posted there. That said, I will look at revising the permissions going forward.

Rich

Thank you Rich ?

On 22/02/2019 at 22:04, Signwriter0405 said:

Thank you Dave I really appreciate that, I would love to see your work and any tips and advice you can throw my way would be amazing ?

Nothing wrong with being a traditionalist, I was taught to write by a man who had been signwriting railway carriages for 40 years before he worked at the brewery, everything I was taught was traditional pub style until I started doing my own stuff and people started asking for more modern things. I loved to watch him work it was almost hypnotic ? 

That's great, I will try and look her up thank you ? 

I noticed Phil does courses up near Liverpool, I might have to drop him a message and see when the next one is, I've been a to a couple of courses in the past and I find it really interesting to see how others techniques differ and get tips  ?

That traditional one is beautiful ? but I have to admit I think the 'not so' one is kinda funky ? sorry 

I've noticed that Phil Speight has some courses at Bollington Wharf, in case that's of any interest Sarah.

Jon Leeson who trades as LetterKnight is excellent for less traditional sign writing. He did the steam punk boat that was featured in Waterways World last year he also did our boat . Andy Russell is another well respected boat painter - he posts regularly on Facebook.

Edited by Richard T

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:26, Chris T said:

I've noticed that Phil Speight has some courses at Bollington Wharf, in case that's of any interest Sarah.

The courses run at Bollington are very good, Both Phil's Painting and Brian's Fender making. I must admit I've only attended the fender making course as my painting skills are terrible. Anne Marie, Brian and Jason from the Wharf make the place very welcoming and Anne Marie's food is excellent. I hope this doesn't come across as unapproved advertising.

I have no connection with Bollington Wharf apart from being a satisfied customer of theirs.

19 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

The courses run at Bollington are very good, Both Phil's Painting and Brian's Fender making. I must admit I've only attended the fender making course as my painting skills are terrible. Anne Marie, Brian and Jason from the Wharf make the place very welcoming and Anne Marie's food is excellent. I hope this doesn't come across as unapproved advertising.

I Think you were joking, but no, it doesn't: it comes across as a recommendation based on first-hand experience, which is a type of post greatly to be desired.

On 22/02/2019 at 20:42, RichM said:

FYI I have done two things:

1. Moved this topic from links directory forum to the general boating forum

2. Left a link in the links directory forum back to the topic in question, so that it can be found and to ensure that it still serves its original purpose as intended by the OP.

Due to how the forum permissions are set for the Links Directory forum, all posts require Moderator approval and this was causing an issue with the ordering of posts and causing frustration among some members.

Prior to now I don't believe this has been an issue given that the Links Directory forum is not typically used for discussion as evident from previous topics posted there. That said, I will look at revising the permissions going forward.

Rich

Thank Rich.

I have now split the other posts off into the tech support area:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/100266-post-approval-in-links-directory-split-from-signwriting/

Daniel

On 24/02/2019 at 10:34, blackrose said:

Can I ask what criteria are used to decide who can advertise their services freely on the forum and who can't? Do advertisers just have to seek permission first and the content/services advertised are deemed to be appropriate for example? I just wondered as we've often seen unapproved advertisements removed and I'm not sure who can and who can't advertise.

In short, all reasonable requests to advertise canal related businesses to users is allowed, something that has been the case through the existence of CWDF.

Topic split to here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/100267-advertisement-permission-split-from-signwriting/ 

Daniel

On 24/02/2019 at 09:26, Chris T said:

8 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

I have no connection with Bollington Wharf apart from being a satisfied customer of theirs.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

And Brian has already advertised the courses here.

Thank you very much guys!!! I've had a look and will definitely be booking!! ?