which fenders

juragirl

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, juragirl said:

As someone who is so far keeping their new year's resolution to learn to play some chords/songs on the guitar I found that funnier than I should have done...

Well, if you want some classic fenders, have a bid on these. I think there was two of us in the syndicate last look

I have to say, I was surprised at just how effective a couple of car tyres are when moored against a hard edge. Even if your mooring ropes have gotten a bit slack and there is movement of the boat, the tyres totally null out any banging, both sonically and physically, even if a boat goes haring past. 

I have two tyres on ropes, and I bring them up before cruising, and if need be swap them over to the other side when I moor - eventually will get round to a matching set of 4 to save re tying them, though of course they wil take up a bit more space on deck when cruising. You do need to drill holes in the bottom of them, to let the water out when bringing them up, so a good hole saw is essential (steel belted radials!).

I also have the thin hard rubber fenders, and they stay down at all times, they are so thin that they could only ever cause a problem on an abnormally tight lock - though on rare occasions they can snag and come pinging up when say exiting a lock. I've only lost two of six in three years so not too bad as they do offer a bit of protection on the go. 

If you are making your own fenders try making Soft Shackles too, quick and easy to use. I made myself a set out of some braided line I had hanging around.

here's a couple of links, one discussing pros and cons of different knots

http://www.balancecommunity.com/slack-science/comparison-soft-shackle-methods/

Edited by Jim Riley

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

A fitting quote from the Allen Register website:-

"Why put fenders all around your boat after we have spent hours putting solid metal rubbing strakes all around the boat".

Cos there'll be a god-awful graunching and grinding going on in the middle of the night - right next to your bed! No need at all when cruising though, which I suspect is the point of that quote, eh?

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Cos there'll be a god-awful graunching and grinding going on in the middle of the night - right next to your bed! No need at all when cruising though, which I suspect is the point of that quote, eh?

How dare you! There is definitely no grinding going on in my bed.:ninja:

3 hours ago, Johny London said:

I also have the thin hard rubber fenders, and they stay down at all times, they are so thin that they could only ever cause a problem on an abnormally tight lock - though on rare occasions they can snag and come pinging up when say exiting a lock. I've only lost two of six in three years so not too bad as they do offer a bit of protection on the go. 

But what if every boat loses a fender every 3 years, that would be a lot of fenders drifting around.

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But what if every boat loses a fender every 3 years, that would be a lot of fenders drifting around.

They don't drift - they lurk on the bottom with the floating polypropylene line reaching towards the surface to snare passing shipping, rather like a sea mine.  I think MtB used to go round picking them up with his prop. As a rule, I believe he then used to throw in a windlass to restore the balance.

11 hours ago, juragirl said:

Thank you Ditchcrawler - looks great - have sent him the link! 

11 hours ago, juragirl said:

Thank you Ditchcrawler - looks great - have sent him the link! 

You may also like the videos from Mikko Snellman - one of my favourites. Here is him doing a small side fender but the principle is the same for all sizes. He has his own web site where you can see more examples of his work.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...