which fenders

juragirl

Featured Posts

We have solid rubber round fenders with rope through a hole. Best investment I have ever made. Had then over five years now. Friend bought rope ones at the same time. They got squished within months.

We have even passed through locks with them down!!

(We are hoping to buy a new bow fender very soon. It's a mine field. What rope? What insert? Which fender maker? Boating is soooo stressful. Not far away from Glascote Basin. Thought there was a good maker there.)

recently seen bicycle wheels with tyres used as fenders. (Hope they don’t cruise with them down)

Don’t think wheelbarrow wheels have been mentioned. Chandlers charge more than the price of a wheelbarrow for one, so best got from a knackered barrow. 

I’ve a hollow plastic fender with an eyelet at either end, if needed, it can be weighted so I can submerge it and keep the bottom edge from scrapping. 

Dont forget birds can nest in tyres/wheels used as fenders. 

This could be considered an advantage for some (boaters)?

Edited by Goliath

25 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Dont forget birds can nest in tyres/wheels used as fenders. 

This could be considered an advantage for some (boaters)?

For those that do Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/NarrowboatOwnersGroup/permalink/2293374637607478/

I'd advise against the thin hollow pipe fenders which do a similar job to the solid rubber ones but look much smarter. They last about 5 minutes on a narrowboat before they puncture or split and become both useless and tatty.  Although I'm sure there ought to be something better, I'll be going back to the solid rubber ones, but with sinking polyester lines instead of the floating polypropylene which is such a prop magnet should you lose one - and you surely will if you leave them dangling when navigating a narrow canal. I also carry a couple of other types for where more bulk is needed to keep the boat clear of dodgy moorings.

The rope ones are definitely best IMHO, they provide a soft and noise-free cushion against hard piling etc. I am so grateful that other people travel with them dangling, because after they have been torn off (in locks, etc) they float and I can then pick them up later. In 30 years I have never had to buy any, I can always collect more than I need and throw them away when they start to get too tatty.

Just now, Keeping Up said:

The rope ones are definitely best IMHO, they provide a soft and noise-free cushion against hard piling etc. I am so grateful that other people travel with them dangling, because after they have been torn off (in locks, etc) they float and I can then pick them up later. In 30 years I have never had to buy any, I can always collect more than I need and throw them away when they start to get too tatty.

Spot on, I have given dozens away over the years.

6 hours ago, dave moore said:

Phil English is a good fender maker very close to Glascote basin. I’ve seen his work and I’m impressed. Could do worse, IMHO....

Thank you. I have emailed him twice now, asking for details and availability. I believe there's a two week lead in. I have had no response. I'm going to wait until we pass the Basin in a week or so (ish). Is he not in the Basin then? I thought he was. 

My flat black ones seem to last about 12 years until we get mashed against piling by a speed boat or bashed hard when moored, like at Banbury by a hire boat. The do go off with a good POP.

I do prefer rope, they don't squeak but the cheap ones lose their top loop too easily.

19 hours ago, juragirl said:

So our newly purchased wee narrowboat is being blacked - has no fenders so we need some. Which types do you experienced narrowboaters use? Any advice appreciated!

Assuming you are talking about side fenders - NEVER whilst cruising (there is a reason why boats are built of steel) and I use 2 motorcycle front tyres (adjusted to be 1/2 submerged) when mooring up - they are free from most M/Cycle shops and are wide enough to stop you "rolling"  I admit they aren't pretty but certainly on a tug look fine and they have never failed to do the job even on the shroppie when I submerge them completely to buffer the base plate from the "shelf/edge"

4 hours ago, dave moore said:

Phil is nearby but not actually in the basin. I’m there later, will see if I can get more info for you.

Thank You. I would be greatful. We are after a bow fender, principally a button but with two retuning 'arms'. A 'U' fender.

We are just between Atherstone and Grendon.

Martyn

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I admit they aren't pretty but certainly on a tug look fine and they have never failed to do the job even on the shroppie when I submerge them completely to buffer the base plate from the "shelf/edge"

Sounds similar to the solution I came up with  after much head scratching and experimentation, when I first encountered the infamous Shroppie Shelf. I put a goat chain inside the bottom of each kart tyre, which sank them enough to drop below the shelf.

Jen

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank You. I would be greatful. We are after a bow fender, principally a button but with two retuning 'arms'. A 'U' fender.

We are just between Atherstone and Grendon.

Martyn

I have one of those that came with the boat, its nearly worn out and I will be glad to see it go.

It has never fitted on the bow properly despite many attempts to refit it. It has a half tyre over it for gate leaning.