Making 10 year old paintwork look smarter again

Featured Posts

Valid point Mr Cuthound. However you have cracked open the door to a whole industry of finishers and detailers who have made a fortune on rubbing compounds, cutting compounds, sealers, finishers et al.

The "old" T cut  (usually in a red plastic bottle and a cream liquid) have gone.

My advice, coming from decades of "fettling" car and boat bodywork, is to ask around, look at the finished product and decide for yourself.

BUT if you are the vast majority, then buy a well known brand of T cut, same for a polish, possibly a sealant to add icing to the cake.................and get on with it.

Foolproof. 

Your neighbours will be impressed!

Remember: KISS. [Keep It Simple, Stupid]}

And don’t forget that polish and wax are two entirely different things, with different purposes. One is to abrade the surface and remove a microscopic layer of paint and the other is to protect the newly polished finish. 

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I've just found a bottle of 'Original' T cut, in the red bottle. Got to be worth a try on oxidised paintwork right ?

After all, it's free and nearly a full bottle !!

I found T Cut formed small balls of old paint,which marked the paint on my boat. I swapped it for Farecla G3 from a motor factors, which i found much better.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I found T Cut formed small balls of old paint,which marked the paint on my boat. I swapped it for Farecla G3 from a motor factors, which i found much better.

Do you think you rubbed it too hard/let it dry out ? 

12 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Do you think you rubbed it too hard/let it dry out ? 

No, I had a very old (10 years plus) bottle of T Cut that worked fine, but ran out before I had finished. I bought a new bottle and they have changed the formulation. 

It was the newer bottle that caused the hard balls of old paint to form.