Centaflex for Yanmar KM2P-1

MartinV

Featured Posts

Hi

Engine: Yanmar 3YM30 (approx 2006)

Boat: Narrowboat

We've recently had our gearbox fail and it's being replaced by RCR who are doing an amazing job.  The issue we have is that the new gearbox (which I think is a Yanmar KM2P-1 as that is the recommended on the Yanmar website*** for the 3YM30 but can't be sure as RCR have taken it away) has four bolts and the old gearbox had 8 bolts leading to a Centaflex-M.

Old gearbox:

Gearbox (8 bolts) > Centaflex flange (8 holes; 4 with captive nuts, 4 with holes for bolt passthrough) > Centaflex-M (4 screwholes)

New gearbox:

Gearbox (4 bolts) > doesn't line up with the four passthrough holes on the Centaflex flange OR the screwholes on the Centaflex-M

RCR are contacting Centa-UK to see if they do an adaptor plate from the four bolts of the new gearbox and the 4 screwholes on the Centaflex-M but Centa-UK haven't been able to get answer yet. 

The questions are;

- Has anyone out there known of a connector that will work between a Yanmar KM2P-1 (4 bolt) and a Centaflex-M

- If there's not an adaptor does anyone know of an alternative to the Centaflex-M that will work with the Yanmar KM2P-1 gearbox?

I've included a picture of the old gearbox setup as well as a close up of the existing centaflex flange front and rear.

I'm not very technical in engineering terms so apologies if some of this doesn't make sense.

Many thanks in advance

Martin

TL;DR New yanmar KM2P-1 gearbox doesn't fit into an existing Centaflex-M - RCR are doing a great job but I'm trying to understand the options from you wonderful people!

*** https://www.yanmarmarine.com/Products/Light-Duty-Commercial-SOLAS-Engines/3YM30-400/

YanmarEngine.jpg.f6ccb80053e2207089bc4f7cec880595.jpg

CentaflexPlate_Front.jpg

CentaflexPlate_REAR.jpg

3 minutes ago, MartinV said:

Unless it's done on the gearbox side I don't think it'll be possible with this unless it's done on the gearbox side as the bolt holes are fixed on the centaflex

The plate fixes to the centa flex via studs on my version then nuts and bolts through the flange to the plate, good luck

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I remember that the 2 sets of 4 holes in the Centaflex are on different PCDs or am I once again confused?

There is more than one size of Centaflex coupling.

Best of luck with RCR for a satisfactory conclusion.

Sam

Thanks ?

I think that the RCR engineer tried that but it wouldn't line up.  We'll have to wait and see what Centa come back with.

Martin