Calorifier Problem

lpp1612

Featured Posts

Good afternoon

Until Sunday my sur-cal  vertical 55l calorifier was working fine, providing hot water and running one radiator since Sunday I have only tepid hot water to the taps, the radiator seems to be working fine. Heat is provided by a Boatman stove with a back boiler, I have monitored the temperature on the return pipe temperatures seem no different as previously, today I have fitted a new sur cal thermostat but with no difference .

Thanks ,Any ideas lpp2

There's probably a tide mark on the engine where the water reached. Is it above things like the starter motor, dipstick hole ect and gearbox filler,-dipstick hole. Check dipstick on engine for water ingress, white emulsion.

Sorry don't know how this ended up here, it belongs to,''water in the hold''.

Edited by bizzard

Just now, bizzard said:

There's probably a tide mark on the engine where the water reached. Is it above things like the starter motor, dipstick hole ect and gearbox filler,-dipstick hole. Check dipstick on engine for water ingress, white emulsion.

Wrong thread, Bizz :)

Generally if there is air in a closed system it will make its way to the highest point in the system, the circulation pump can start  making a racket due to cavitation caused by the air. If as you say both In &Out pipes are the same temperature then the water is not circulating.  Maybe if there is no trapped air the impeller has parted company with the pump shaft

HI All

Just bead the radiator didn't appear to be any air trapped, the pump is working just checked it, do calorifers get furred. up either in the hot water circuit or the tank it's self. Just to avoid confusion the system doesn't have a pump, it relies oh the heated water running slightly upwards, the system has worked fine till Sunday the pump I'm referring to is the general cold water pump on the boat sorry for any confusion.

Thanks lpp1612

6 minutes ago, lpp1612 said:

HI All

Just bead the radiator didn't appear to be any air trapped, the pump is working just checked it, do calorifers get furred. up either in the hot water circuit or the tank it's self. Just to avoid confusion the system doesn't have a pump, it relies oh the heated water running slightly upwards, the system has worked fine till Sunday the pump I'm referring to is the general cold water pump on the boat sorry for any confusion.

Thanks lpp1612

Apologies. I thought the thermostat you changed was for a circulation pump. It sounds like you have a gravity system. So assume the thermostat was for the immersion heater? Seems odd if the return pipe is getting hot . You haven't possibly moves a valve somewhere? If you have checked the levels in the system, and the fire is heating up well, no flue blockages, crap on the back boiler etc.

Someone clever will be along in a bit....

14 hours ago, David Mack said:

The back boiler/radiator/calorifier circuit must have a header tank somewhere. Have you checked whether this has water in it? My guess is it needs topping up.

Yes and no really. If some idiot has followed domestic practice and installed a sealed system with an "accumulator" as the pressure vessel (I have seen this on diesel fired eberbatso type systems) the OP may very understandably believe there is no central heating header tank.

I would be trying to bleed air from the higher calorifier connection that connects to the central heating system, especially if its a vertical calorifier. If that worked I would fit a bleed valve there in the summer.

I have never known the calorifier coil to fur up enough to stop the  calorifier contents getting hot. My own calorifier is 20 years old and still works fine. It takes time for a ccalorifier to come up to temperature so are you waiting long enough?

Good morning all

Still at it! yes there is a header tank on the heating system with anti freeze in it, I've just drained that all out and refilled it to the prescribed level. I have also I also tried cleaning the coil of any obstructions  and crud a few pieces of rust and slime did come out so we'll see how we get on. 

I'll let you know thanks for all the replies lpp1612

Good Afternoon 

I'm very pleased to report I now have hot water. Today I drained the system down and using a long flexible brush type thing I cleaned out the coil, as I said earlier quite a bit of slimy crud came out then i connected everything up again, refilled the system, bled it and it's now working. Looking back I suspect an airlock

Thanks for all the replies.

Best wishes lpp1612

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1