Bob Allen RIP

dave moore

Featured Posts

I learned yesterday of the death of Bob Allen, the noted Oldbury boatbuilder. He ran the yard with brother John, taking over from father Les. Originally servicing the trade, they went on to produce chunky, good looking shells in the pleasure boat era. I painted a good few boats there over the years, whilst the paint dock was best described as primitive, it’s ver low floor made for comfortable working. I last saw Bob in a local supermarket after he retired, he expressed a wish for some new knees to help his walking. Another link with the past has gone....too many, too often, these days.

• Sad 4

Another link with a more graceful boating age has gone.

Bob built at least one hull for Teddesley and Peter Milward recommended him for my hull. I could never get him to answer the phone - so I gave up in despair and went elsewhere.

You could always tell an Allen hull - a slight tilt to one side......

I used to own a Bob Allen boat. 

This one :) I bought it as a wooden top called "Malben" as a tug project. I removed top and interior and had a steel cabin fitted then I covered the hold with old roof timbers and I put a SABB 2G in it. That boat swam like a fish. I called it INFLEXIBLE. Sadly I sold it. It then had a full cabin added and was renamed "KERENSA". Probably still about somewhere.  Its on the Allen register but I was told the wide flat plate stem bar was Bob not Les Allen. 

Lovely hull it was. I specially like the bows. 

13746173391550581556.jpg

(My photo from approx 2006 below Lot Mead lock). 

Edited by magnetman

7 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Another sad passing of one who experienced the "golden age" - I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back in the company of John and Albert Brookes and owning one of his boats - 

IMG_1374 (2).JPG

That's when I first met you coming up Atherstone flight. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

Is it just me or is it a bit sad that this post/topic isn't getting a bit more attention - now bumped

I think it's following the modern trend  of anyone/thing more connected with bygone days canal wise is seen as irrelevant to today's requirements so not much reliance/interest

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I think it's following the modern trend  of anyone/thing more connected with bygone days canal wise is seen as irrelevant to today's requirements so not much reliance/interest

If that were truly the case, I don't think there would be quite a number ofeventsin any single year where anywhere between 30 and 100 historic boats gathered together, and vast numbers of people turned up to see them.

Of course the Allens played a huge part both in the field of historic boats and of well manufactured new boats built purely for leisure purposes.

I agree though that only a small percentage of forum readers would be able to identify an Allen boat amongst a selection of the better quality modern builds.

IMO they go have great honesty, and fine lines, and are definitely better than most.

I always liked that little tug that Magnetman posted pictures of - it looks the part without a false rivet in sight.

26 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If that were truly the case, I don't think there would be quite a number ofeventsin any single year where anywhere between 30 and 100 historic boats gathered together, and vast numbers of people turned up to see them.

Of course the Allens played a huge part both in the field of historic boats and of well manufactured new boats built purely for leisure purposes.

I agree though that only a small percentage of forum readers would be able to identify an Allen boat amongst a selection of the better quality modern builds.

IMO they go have great honesty, and fine lines, and are definitely better than most.

I always liked that little tug that Magnetman posted pictures of - it looks the part without a false rivet in sight.

You get similar events with most "Niche"sports /hobby's etc but historic narrow boats are more limited in purpose /manufacture than most other groups ,steam fairs being the other that springs to mind ,historic boating is unique in that to achieve any movement the system has to be shared at all times with a much greater # of craft who's owners in many cases have no interest in historic units & as they out number the "oldie's their needs differ & the gap will grow as for some one who is a through & through leisure boater requiring all the "Mod Cons " of his /her residence on his/her floating residence & probably views a person buying a 70' boat with only 12/14' of it cabined over with a max of 8/10 ' to "live in"must view the enthusiasts of such " As Nuts"