Should I rip out my composting toilet in favour of a cassette?

Shangela

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

That would be the sanity clause, then? ?

(Waits for Chico...)

You are waiting for a small Spanish boy? In a Californian town? And you have the impudence to question my sanity when I have a certificate saying I am perfectly sane which is more than you will ever have Bruce baby.

Is it a full moon where you are? Its not here.

In answer to the original question,    YES.

21 hours ago, Jerra said:

We have a pumpout on the boat but I have emptied caravan toilets for 35+years, the smell is negligible.  Assuming you have used some form of additive correctly - I have never tried with out adding anything. 

On 23/02/2019 at 13:10, Señor Chris said:

I always thought emptying a cassette would be unpleasant but never realised it was that bad.

The older generation seem to deal with emptying cassette's far better then the younger generation that are coming onto the boats, the kids just can't deal with their own s#it. Maybe it's this "snow flake" generation thing? People just need to get on with it, after all it's their s#it.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

On 24/02/2019 at 09:58, Boater Sam said:

Judging by the state that some Elsan points are left in, it is a disgusting, foul and unpleasant duty.

Some get that way after a self pump-outer has used them :)

On 24/02/2019 at 09:36, Boater Sam said:

(snip)

I'm also aware that a few are into septic tanks with soakaways or reed beds, these should have no problem coping.

I look for the manhole cover where the main drains go, then I am sure it on the mains drainage. In fact sometimes I can use a manhole alone.

It's all too easy to overwhelm a septic tank, especially one which isn't in the best of health to start with. The effect isn't usually apparent for a few days, though.  Manhole is the way to go, but even then, caution is required. I know of at least two marked "FW" which go nowhere near the sewage system, but eventually discharge into a nearby watercourse. Conversely, many which do connect to the sewage system are not appropriately marked.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Some get that way after a self pump-outer has used them :)

It's all too easy to overwhelm a septic tank, especially one which isn't in the best of health to start with. The effect isn't usually apparent for a few days, though.  Manhole is the way to go, but even then, caution is required. I know of at least two marked "FW" which go nowhere near the sewage system, but eventually discharge into a nearby watercourse. Conversely, many which do connect to the sewage system are not appropriately marked.

Did you think that I did not know all that having been in the water and drainage business for 40 years?

On 18/02/2019 at 14:13, Shangela said:

Interesting. Mine is disposed of in a similar manner to a cassette so no problems here, but can see why some marinas dont want bags of waste being chucked around! Edit: the bloke I bought this off actually said to me he “just emptied the urine on the nettles” ?

Urine  is not the problem...............