Canal & River Trust publishes 'Boater Report'

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

19 February 2019

Canal & River Trust publishes ‘boater report’ for licence holders

The Canal & River Trust has published a Boater Report for its 34,000 leisure licence holders.  The Report sets out how the Trust generates its income, including the contribution from boaters, and how that money is invested in the network.

The Report was produced with input from the boaters elected to the Trust’s governing Council as well as boater volunteers on the Trust’s Navigation Advisory Group.  It will be updated each summer to reflect the Trust’s latest available accounts.

Jon Horsfall, head of customer service support at the Canal & River Trust, comments: “The Trust’s core purpose is maintaining the 2,000 miles of canals and rivers we look after and making the experience of using them as good as we can.  Boaters play a central role in helping to fund the work with around 10% of our income coming from boat licences.

“The Boater Report is designed to give licence holders an overview of how much it costs to maintain the waterways, where the Trust’s money comes from and where it gets spent, for example how much gets spent on dredging, maintenance, vegetation management or on customer service and facilities.

“The report also includes information on licence evasion, the role of volunteering and the importance of boating on our waterways.  We’ll be interested to hear feedback from boaters to understand what info they find most useful and if there’s any other aspects of our work that they’d like to see more of in future Reports.”

The Boater Report will be provided in the main as an emailable PDF which will be included with licence renewals or new boat licence applications.  A small number of printed copies will be available for those boaters without email or for use at events such as this May’s Crick Boat Show.

The Boater Report is available to view online at: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/39814-boater-report.pdf

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

Correct - another 3-4 years and the DEFRA grant will be just a dim memory - and remember that C&RT receive more income from 'selling water'(extraction licences) and charging for water to be drained into the canals (discharge licences) than they do from Boat Licences.

Boat numbers falling - less income from licences (may be balanced by the Fat-Boat surcharges )

No more income from BWML now they have been sold.

C&RT will become and 'investment' company relying on an income from Property etc.

6 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

No mention of the income from fishing? Is it that insignificant? 

Does seem strange.  I'm also surprised that no other grant funding is shown other than defra.  CRT had a load of money from DfT for towpath improvements.  Maybe that doesn't class as income since the money went to LAs to spend on CRT assets, rather than direct to CRT.

43 minutes ago, Wrinkley said:

No mention of the income from fishing? Is it that insignificant? 

My brother in law is an active fisherman and was a keen member of a club using the GU near Watford. He says hardly anyone fishes the canal in the area now because fish stocks have massively diminished - a certain amount of theft but largely he says because of predatory crayfish and cormorants.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT will become and 'investment' company relying on an income from Property etc.

Wasn't that the big mistake that Roger Evans made hen he was the boss of BW.  Cost BW (i.e us) a huge amount of money.

Just now, dor said:

Wasn't that the big mistake that Roger Evans made hen he was the boss of BW.  Cost BW (i.e us) a huge amount of money.

Yes - buying into pubs when there were 50+ pubs per week closing down.

Then buying a 'shopping arcade' which they never managed to get any income from and sold at a loss.

42 minutes ago, starman said:

My brother in law is an active fisherman and was a keen member of a club using the GU near Watford. He says hardly anyone fishes the canal in the area now because fish stocks have massively diminished - a certain amount of theft but largely he says because of predatory crayfish and cormorants.

Hooray for Cormorants!

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

So the DEFRA grant is a quarter of all CRT income.  This is the bit that's going, right?  I wonder how the re-branding has gone re. getting new funding in on a Public Health platform? 

Any news on that?

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

Anyone else notice the similarity of that pie chart and the new CRT logo? ?

815985988_CRTchart.png.f0ce52ebb948b67609ecf04a9e76c045.png

Edited by David Mack
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

Anyone else notice the similarity of that pie chart and the new CRT logo? ?

We were too polite to comment ..........

The logo always looks rather "leaky"

Has anyone ever found out how much it cost and how much more income  it raised?

Has anyone asked.

Is there some sort of AGM when stakeholders can ask?

Edited by LadyG

I'm surprised by the mention of cormorants, which I think of as coastal birds - and also by the omission of herons, which do tend to fish on the inland waterways. Are cormorants driving herons away from their established fishing areas?

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised by the mention of cormorants, which I think of as coastal birds - and also by the omission of herons, which do tend to fish on the inland waterways. Are cormorants driving herons away from their established fishing areas?

I have no idea how the migration of cormorants has affected the heron population but they have over the last 20 years or so become more common inland.

You see them a lot on the commercial carp pits, which isn't all that surprising considering how heavily stocked with fish they are, I've also seen them more and more on rivers and canals .

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I have no idea how the migration of cormorants has affected the heron population but they have over the last 20 years or so become more common inland.

You see them a lot on the commercial carp pits, which isn't all that surprising considering how heavily stocked with fish they are, I've also seen them more and more on rivers and canals .

That's interesting, thanks. We do get them in the Fens, but their bird brains probably tell them that they're at the seaside.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

When I was young, herons were far less common.  

Yes, the ones I remember from my boyhood were well-spoken and didn't wipe their beaks on their wings.

I see more herons now than I did then, but that could be simply because I didn't spend time travelling the inland waterways back then. Have their numbers actually increased in Britain?

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, the ones I remember from my boyhood were well-spoken and didn't wipe their beaks on their wings.

I see more herons now than I did then, but that could be simply because I didn't spend time travelling the inland waterways back then. Have their numbers actually increased in Britain?

"In Britain, for example, the nesting population increased from 4,000 to 6,000 pairs between 1928 and 1991, rising at an annual rate of 8% per year during the 1980’s"

https://www.heronconservation.org/herons-of-the-world/list-of-herons/grey-heron

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I used to love watching the cormorants in Paddington Basin, Central London go up and down, at that time, the basin was crystal clear and also warmer so it stayed ice free. Several of the buildings there use the basin water as part of their eco system.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

We were too polite to comment ..........

The logo always looks rather "leaky"

Has anyone ever found out how much it cost and how much more income  it raised?

Has anyone asked.

Is there some sort of AGM when stakeholders can ask?

Dave Mayall of this parish did.......

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/costs_of_rebranding