Trying to ID the type of Epoxy used by Liverpool Boats 2007

TechcareUK

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can help me with trying to identify the type of Epoxy used at manufacture of our boat, a 2007 60' Semi trad Liverpool Boats Narrow Boat built around August 2007.

I realise that Liverpool Boats is no longer trading but I have tried contacting Collingwood  Boats but not had a reply, I have also tried to contact the previous owner who ordered the boat new but no joy their either.

Maybe someone on here worked for LB around that time and may be able to help? 

We are trying to clarify what type of Epoxy 2 pac was used on our boat as she needs blacking/recoat and the boatyard engineer suspects it may be Zinga and if so he needs that to be confirmed before proceeding.

I suspect the original Epoxy is still on the boat as the original owner did not use the boat much from new through illness, ( when we bought the her in 2016 the hour meter only showed 480 hours ) The boat appears to have been blacked over the original epoxy and this blacking hadn’t stuck very well which is giving reason for the suspicion that Zinga may have been used in the original order, its also quite light grey in colour.

I have also got a copy of a receipt in 2010 from Calcutt for blacking which appears to be standard blacking at a cost of only £495.

We have extensive paperwork relating to the original order and have the original handbook but although the order spec shows the boat was epoxied from new detail of the type used isn’t present.

Any help or information from anyone would be very much appreciated,

I can provide further info (LB hull number etc) if required.

Many Thanks

Mark

Mark

Our Liverpool boat, built in 2004 has had Epimastic MT ( Spencer Coatings) from new. Unfortunately this is no longer available.

Of course yours may not be the same, as I believe the original owner of our boat specified  the two pack.

Steve

You can't epoxy over standard blacking. So your choices are either to remove just the loose blacking and recoat with blacking, or to remove all the blacking back to the epoxy, abrade it lightly and then you can use epoxy 2 pack. After 12 years the original will be completely cured and I doubt it will matter what brand you use now.

Also note that Zinga is not an epoxy (nor is it 2 pack) so depending on how specifically the original order is worded you may gain sufficient confidence to rule it out.

Two pack epoxy systems do turn grey with time which might explain why it was over coated.

JP

You might find the zinc to be aluminium. Sigma does (did?)  a high al primer that went under their coal tar based epoxy, it looks like zinc.  I would  imagine the coal tar stuff is no longer available. Bailey paints in Stroud in Gloucestershire might be able to help. As for Epoxy over ordinary blacking the advice seems to be that you cannot but as its old stuff you might be OK. I would maybe get in touch with Jotun paints tech dept. Some of their paint is described as surface tolerant. Buy a cheap orbital sander and a heap of discs to abrade the old paint then chuck the sander away.

Epoxy Coal Tar ( epoxy modified pitch) is no longer readily available, having been banned for reasons I know not, but guess it is the carcinogenic add ons from coal tar

Other non-coal tar containing epoxy products are still available, but they are more expensive.  Any of these is likely to happily go on your hull, provided you remove absolutely all of any non-epoxy based coating first and abrade the underlying epoxy coat after that. Ask the makers technical departments  and do what they advise.

N

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

You can't epoxy over standard blacking. So your choices are either to remove just the loose blacking and recoat with blacking, or to remove all the blacking back to the epoxy, abrade it lightly and then you can use epoxy 2 pack. After 12 years the original will be completely cured and I doubt it will matter what brand you use now.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply but think you have misread, its not standard blacking, its 2 pac epoxy and it appears someone has in the past applied standard blacking over the epoxy most of which just flakes off when going through locks etc so I would imagine a good power wash with remove most if not all and leave us with the epoxy. we then want to either treat any areas that need treating or re coat the top coat, our engineer needs to ID the epoxy so he can decide the best way to proceed as shotblasting is the last resort.

He suspects its Zinga.

1 hour ago, Just Heaven said:

Mark

Our Liverpool boat, built in 2004 has had Epimastic MT ( Spencer Coatings) from new. Unfortunately this is no longer available.

Of course yours may not be the same, as I believe the original owner of our boat specified  the two pack.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Also note that Zinga is not an epoxy (nor is it 2 pack) so depending on how specifically the original order is worded you may gain sufficient confidence to rule it out.

Two pack epoxy systems do turn grey with time which might explain why it was over coated.

JP

Thanks JP for your reply,

yes I realise Zinga is not actually 2pac but a coating system.

The original owner seemed to spare no expense in his spec requests and the fact that the epoxy is very light grey and the paint is flaking off it so easily is leading our boat yard to suspect its Zinga and considering the original owner's detailed high spec requests at the time of order it adds to the suspicion that Zinga may have been used.

The paperwork from LB stated standard blacking on one instance which was crossed out and written EPOXY in pen and on another instance showed 2 pac epoxy so its a bit vague.

Thanks Everyone for all the info and advice,

I'm leaning toward that its likely not to be Zinga and think I will contact some paint/coatings manufacturers as suggested, will come back and update the post when I have some further answers.