Towpath bike punctures

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

Any one have the same problems we have , when the spring and summer comes and the towpath hedges get cut the path is littered with thorns and basically un-ride-able ?

I just went out and only got 100 metres on the towpath before it was game over for both tyres. 

The contractors sometimes blow the path clear, but you can never be sure. 

I use the liquid-rubber (foam) tyre sealant. About £8-£10 for a can big enough to fix a 19" 4WD car tyre.

I drove with it in my motorcycle tyres for several years and despite having several nails & screws in the tyre I never got another puncture.

It will just continue to self-seal if anything penetrates the tyre / tube.

Edit to add :

Aldi had it in a couple of weeks ago as one of their 'specials' £4,99 / can and plenty big enough for 2 bicycle tyres (with loads to spare)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/holts-tyreweld/p/087615239707000?gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xnBSqAuE29qd9Ng3umTlcLoBqDbpgxLuGGuQctIESgZU5J04l2wokxoClJ8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Holts Tyreweld

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Any one have the same problems we have , when the spring and summer comes and the towpath hedges get cut the path is littered with thorns and basically un-ride-able ?

I just went out and only got 100 metres on the towpath before it was game over for both tyres. 

I'm on the hunt for some slightly less precious inner tubes for my road bike. I thought I'd try the kevlar types but they have awfully mixed reviews; I was having a look the other day and found this tape, now I haven't used it or even looked that hard at but it looks ok and seems to review not too bad. 

https://www.evanscycles.com/panaracer-flataway-tyre-protection-tape-EV154733

26 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

Get some " Green " slime innertubes. Work well.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

And there is this stuff but I think this might be what Alan has already mentioned. 

https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-sealant-spray-00104698

Looks like the same stuff but obviously at an outrageous price (comparing the can size) as all cyclists are very rich and live down South !!!

(The Aldi can is 500ml, the 'cycles' can is 100ml)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Looks like the same stuff but obviously at an outrageous price (comparing the can size) as all cyclists are very rich and live down South !!!

(The Aldi can is 500ml, the 'cycles' can is 100ml)

The Aldi can is obviously better value and probbly a good thing to keep in the shed, I like Aldi and lidl stuff, I find it quite good quality usually. The advantage with a 100ml size is that it can be tucked away in a pouch for an emergency, 500ml can be a bit bulky to accommodate on your bike. 

Would you suggest using it before you got a puncture as a preventative measure ?

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Would you suggest using it before you got a puncture as a preventative measure ?

That's what I did, and once in the tyre protected me from Punctures for 'years'.

My father was getting punctures in his buggy as an almost daily occurrence, filled his tyres with 'snot' and he has not had a single 'flat' for over a year.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's what I did, and once in the tyre protected me from Punctures for 'years'.

My father was getting punctures in his buggy as an almost daily occurrence, filled his tyres with 'snot' and he has not had a single 'flat' for over a year.

Right - will give that a go and see how we get on. 

Thanks Alan ?

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Right - will give that a go and see how we get on. 

Thanks Alan ?

Squirt it in and ride for 5 miles to ensure the 'snot' is properly dispersed around the inside of the tyre, it will also leave a 'puddle' which is always at the bottom of the tyre so when a thorn enters it will be into the puddle, (obviously any puncture is going to happen at the 'bottom' of the wheel) and the 'snot' then seals around it, leaving the rest of the puddle to continue sloshing around until the next thorn enters ……………………………….

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I use the liquid-rubber (foam) tyre sealant. About £8-£10 for a can big enough to fix a 19" 4WD car tyre.

I drove with it in my motorcycle tyres for several years and despite having several nails & screws in the tyre I never got another puncture.

It will just continue to self-seal if anything penetrates the tyre / tube.

Edit to add :

Aldi had it in a couple of weeks ago as one of their 'specials' £4,99 / can and plenty big enough for 2 bicycle tyres (with loads to spare)

https://www.aldi.co.uk/holts-tyreweld/p/087615239707000?gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xnBSqAuE29qd9Ng3umTlcLoBqDbpgxLuGGuQctIESgZU5J04l2wokxoClJ8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Holts Tyreweld

I confidently bought a tin of this for my wheelbarrow wheel, it turned out the tyre didn't exactly have A puncture, more the tyre had committed hara kiri,  it was almost osmotic in the way it oozed out

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

I confidently bought a tin of this for my wheelbarrow wheel, it turned out the tyre didn't exactly have A puncture, more the tyre had committed hara kiri,  it was almost osmotic in the way it oozed out

works ok on my bikes.

I had the same problem with a wheelbarrow tyre, had to throw it out of the kitchen door, tried again outside, same thing happened, tyre and wheel still outside the kitchen door

7 hours ago, Chris G said:

Schwalbe Marathon tyres?

Another vote for schwable marathon plus......I have done 1500 puncture free miles on mine. They are a bit heavier than a standard tyre and a bit tight to fit but well worth it.

For mountain bike

1 Zefal puncture resistant tape, goes between tyre and inner tube 

2 Kenda puncture resistant tyre K847 with K Shield. I use the semi slick tyre but full knobbly tread is also available. 

3 For belts and braces I also use puncture resistant inner tubes. 

Rarely get a puncture although thorns can occasionally get in through the side wall, this can be mitigated by using high tyre pressures.

For Road bike 700c

1 Continental puncture resistant hybrid tyres 700c, various types available to suit your requirements. I use hybrid tyres but full road tyres are also available. 

2 As above Zefal puncture resistant tape. 

For 20 inch folding shopping bike

1 Schwalbe Marathon Plus (superb little tyre only downside is that tread is not best suited to muddy towpath conditions) 

2 For belts and braces approach I again use the Zefal puncture resistant tape. 

Even with all of the above I still get the occasional thorn inflicted puncture. 

As mentioned above I find high tyre pressures help reduce punctures. 

Eta

For the road bike I chose continentals because of a greater choice of tread pattern for their puncture resistant tyres when compared to the Schwalbe marathon plus, however if you are happy with the Schwalbe tread pattern then I would pick the Schwalbe over the Continentals. 

Whatever you choose I would say that you can only ever going to increase the puncture resistance and cannot ever make the tyres puncture proof (solid tyres are another discussion and not one I would join in) 

Edited by reg

7 hours ago, Chris G said:

Schwalbe Marathon tyres?

41 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

If you want completely bomb proof, get the Marathon Plus.

21 minutes ago, NickF said:

Another vote for schwable marathon plus......I have done 1500 puncture free miles on mine. They are a bit heavier than a standard tyre and a bit tight to fit but well worth it.

I like this idea, not my thread but thanks the recommendation. 

2 minutes ago, reg said:

For mountain bike

1 Zefal puncture resistant tape, goes between tyre and inner tube 

2 Kenda puncture resistant tyre K847 with K Shield. I use the semi slick tyre but full knobbly tread is also available. 

3 For belts and braces I also use puncture resistant inner tubes. 

Rarely get a puncture although thorns can occasionally get in through the side wall, this can be mitigated by using high tyre pressures.

For Road bike 700c

1 Continental puncture resistant hybrid tyres 700c, various types available to suit your requirements. I use hybrid tyres but full road tyres are also available. 

2 As above Zefal puncture resistant tape. 

For 20 inch folding shopping bike

1 Schwalbe Marathon Plus (superb little tyre only downside is that tread is not best suited to muddy towpath conditions) 

2 For belts and braces approach I again use the Zefal puncture resistant tape. 

Even with all of the above I still get the occasional thorn inflicted puncture. 

As mentioned above I find high tyre pressures help reduce punctures. 

I've just been looking at some of these suggestions and realise how woefully inadequate my tyres are so I'm going to up grade mine. 

I didn't start this thread but the advice has been really helpful, thanks.

Another thing that I have considered trying are the 

GAADI two ended inner tubes, these can be removed without removing the wheel, particularly useful for electric bikes. 

They are expensive though at circa £11 each but may be worthwhile if fitted  justto a wheel with a built in electric motor, saves all the hastle of disconnecting cabling and, usually, associated cable ties. 

8 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I suspect anything Evens have to offer is worth a punt as they have an excellent pedigree in the cycling world, I remember using them about 60 years ago.

Phil

Whilst agreeing about the quality of Evans stuff, aren't they the company that went into administration and were bought up by Mike Ashley of Sports Direct?