Does a boat need PAT Testing

1st ade

Featured Posts

(Idle curiosity - I have no intention of offering a boat PAT Testing service [and I'm well aware the T of PAT is "testing" so "PAT Testing" is as incorrect as "PIN Number"])

I've just signed up for a PAT Testing course. I do a fair bit of "expenses only" work for friends, local community projects etc and it seemed a quick (and not too expensive) way to tidy up some loose ends*

The "Portable" bit of PAT seems to be based around "do you plug it into the mains" so a storage heater (for example) is not, a kettle is, and a rechargeable drill is not (although the charger probably is)

So where do boats with shore supply fit in? Are they a B*** great extension lead which should be tested or are they a piece of equipment (thinking charger / inverter etc) in their own right? And if they need to be tested, is it a case of plugging the shoreline into the tester, clamping a crock clip on the hull and saying "Passed"? Will Galvanic Isolators and Isolation Transformers a) get in the way or b) be broken by the test?

As I said, just for idle curiosity..

[ * - For example I've just built an electronic Billboard based on an old 42 inch TV and a Raspberry Pi for a local charity shop. But it seems a shame to build it, install it, demonstrate it and then say "By the way, get it PAT tested before you open to the public again" ]

As far as I am aware PAT testing dos not apply to domestic premises so I would say it does not apply to private boats but may well to things like trip boats. Not so sure about hire boats but they have to comply with an enhanced BSS exam so that MIGHT cover the 240V AC stuff

19 minutes ago, Fly Navy said:

PAT testing is only necessary if part or all of your activity is commercial. Domestic or private use - not needed.

[Having said that....technically and in theory, a marina "could" insist on your kit being PAT tested, to comply with the marinas insurance policy.....]

And that's the other reason for me getting qualified - I give the odd presentation in village halls, local pub's etc and one of these day's someone is going to say "is your projector PAT Tested?"

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

But how can you regard a boat as a Portable Appliance? The clue is in the title methinks.

The appliances on board certainly qualify if the boat is hired out, as in rented property. I would think share boats also would be considered.

As I suspect you know the "appliance" in question is the thing that that you plug into the socket, like a laptop, table lamp, toaster, kettle etc.  In any office in the U.K. you will see the every lead with a 13amp plug on it has a sticker attached with the test date.

You will not be able to pat test a boat as a whole....i am a pat trainer bur not an electrician which is not a requirement i my add.

There is zero requirement to carry out pat unless your are a place of work and even then this is not a legal requirement per say but an approved code of practice....we must ensure under puwer we have safe electrical equipment so hence pat.

I get its for fun but only pat your portable appliances or it will not work and even then not all things can be tested such as phone chargers for example.

• Greenie 1

Actually the law does require phone chargers etc to be assessed, where people get confused or possibly conned is being told that pat testing in all cases requires a special test box operated by an expensive person.  This is not a requirement, a simple visual inspection is often adequate, especially in a low risk place like an office.

51 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Actually the law does require phone chargers etc to be assessed, where people get confused or possibly conned is being told that pat testing in all cases requires a special test box operated by an expensive person.  This is not a requirement, a simple visual inspection is often adequate, especially in a low risk place like an office.

There are three parts to checking electrical equipment...

A pre use check

A thorough examination

And then the electrical testing element.

If you can not do the later you can still inspect and issue a pat sticker but you can not test electrically all equipment

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe we should suggest it to the BSS people, What if someone gets hold of your boat and its live? a definite danger to others I would say

Pat testing is for individual appliances and not electrical circuits so in your scenario such faults would not necessarily show up unless the fault is from an appliance.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe we should suggest it to the BSS people, What if someone gets hold of your boat and its live? a definite danger to others I would say

6 hours ago, jam said:

Pat testing is for individual appliances and not electrical circuits so in your scenario such faults would not necessarily show up unless the fault is from an appliance.

BSS Inspectors look away please...

A band set up their (PAT Tested) gear in a pub. The nearest 13A socket is a little too far away so Alf (one of the regulars) nips home for an extension lead. It's from home so not tested.

During the act, Jim (another regular) goes up for a spot of karaoke and gets a shock off the microphone. It turns out that Alf's extension has no earth connection. PAT Testing would have spotted this.

Substitute boat and shore connection for Alf's extension lead and replace Jim with some poor sod standing with one leg on the deck and one on shore?

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

You say this with the best of intentions, I know, but please no more regulation on the BSS.

The probability of this occurring is low, the water is sufficiently polluted in most canals and rivers for a significant current to pass and the land side RCD will trip. And there should be such an RCD on the supply.

Either that or the boat will rapidly dissipate in a flurry of bubbles caused by electrolysis like a Minto in Coca Cola and sink.

Edited by Boater Sam
smellings & Added

Do peeps pontificating about PAT not being suitable for boats think that an insulation resistance test and an earth condition and bonding test similar to the tests on electrical systems in  domestic property would be a good idea for boats?

After all we have gas soundness tests and electricity can kill far quicker than gas can.

Edited by Loddon

16 hours ago, 1st ade said:

But the guidance says, it's portable if it has a plug on it...

There is loads of stuff in our office with plugs on - eg about 150 computers .  Most of them are desktop computers so they are not portable. Therefore they have not been PAT tested. .  There are loads of extension leads for the computers but they are in place all the time so not portable and they have not been PAT tested. Only the portable cords for the laptops have been PAT tested.

We  have portable things like fans and they are PAT tested , as have the kettles.

As said there is no legal requirement to do any PAT testing

25 minutes ago, MartynG said:

There is loads of stuff in our office with plugs on - eg about 150 computers .  Most of them are desktop computers so they are not portable. Therefore they have not been PAT tested. .  There are loads of extension leads for the computers but they are in place all the time so not portable and they have not been PAT tested. Only the portable cords for the laptops have been PAT tested.

We  have portable things like fans and they are PAT tested , as have the kettles.

As said there is no legal requirement to do any PAT testing

It reads to me that unless there is some other means of checking the safety of the equipment then whoever is responsible for the testing in that office is failing in their duty.

Could be an interesting conversation with HSE if a computer/extension lead developed a fault and electrocuted someone.