Where is MtB?

mark99

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s a verb with object. It’s not a standalone verb. So you can’t moot something but you can raise a moot point. Inversely, a point may be moot. 

I think you are using the word moot here as an adjective. Whereas the definition above suggests it can also be a verb, I.e. you can moot something, and things can be moot.

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I think you are using the word moot here as an adjective. Whereas the definition above suggests it can also be a verb, I.e. you can moot something, and things can be moot.

By Jove I think you’re right. I stand corrected. Perhaps @Athy can explain what a verb ‘with object’ means. Surely every verb needs an object?

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

By Jove I think you’re right. I stand corrected. Perhaps @Athy can explain what a verb ‘with object’ means. Surely every verb needs an object?

Of course it doesn't. A transitive verb has a direct object [He steered his boat], whereas an intransitive verb may have an indirect object [He looked at his boat] or none at all [He looked gormless].

Moot can indeed be an adjective: the Moot Hall at Thaxted for example. Or is it Thaxted? That's a moot point.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Well, some people were putting out a breadcrumb trail.

Trivia note: a mute swan is white. That one is black. It is, therefore, (yes you've guessed) a black swan. I suppose a white one would not have shown up against the wall.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

Of course it doesn't. A transitive verb has a direct object [He steered his boat], whereas an intransitive verb may have an indirect object [He looked at his boat] or none at all [He looked gormless].

Moot can indeed be an adjective: the Moot Hall at Thaxted for example. Or is it Thaxted? That's a moot point.

Thanks. So does ‘moot with an object’ mean that you cannot simply moot, as you have to moot ‘something’ such as a point or subject?

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Thanks. So does ‘moot with an object’ mean that you cannot simply moot, as you have to moot ‘something’ such as a point or subject?

"Mooting is the oral presentation of a legal issue or problem against an opposing counsel and before a judge. It is perhaps the closest experience that a student can have whilst at university to appearing in court."

and.....

"adjective

1. 1.
    subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.
    "whether the temperature rise was mainly due to the greenhouse effect was a moot point"
    synonyms: debatable, open to debate, open to discussion, arguable, questionable, at issue, open to question, open, doubtful, open to doubt, disputable, contestable, controvertible, problematic, problematical, controversial, contentious, vexed, disputed, unresolved, unsettled, up in the air, undecided, yet to be decided, undetermined, unconcluded
    "whether the temperature rise is due to the greenhouse effect is a moot point"
  2. 2.
    having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
    "the whole matter is becoming increasingly moot"
verb

1. 1.
    raise (a question or topic) for discussion; suggest (an idea or possibility).
    "the scheme was first mooted last October"
    synonyms: raise, bring up, broach, mention, put forward, introduce, advance, present, propose, suggest, submit, propound, air, ventilate
    "the idea was first mooted in the 1930s"
noun

1. 1.
    HISTORICAL
    an assembly held for debate, especially in Anglo-Saxon and medieval times.
    •  
  2. 2.
    LAW
    a mock judicial proceeding set up to examine a hypothetical case as an academic exercise.
    "the object of a moot is to provide practice in developing an argument" "
Edited by Richard10002
  • Greenie 2

Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way ............... I think.

I think I'm glad, or perhaps, I think we've got it out of the way ................... what do you think ?

Edited by LadyG
moot point

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you don't know, how can anyone know?

Shades of the Scots drinking game. You all sit round in a circle. Everyone has a bottle of whisky, which they drink. After a bit, someone leaves the room and the rest have to guess who it was.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Anyway...........what the hells happened to Nick? We need our resident helichopter driver innitt!! We are losing folks by the bucket load!!

I think he’s a bit happier across the road these days. 

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 1