Weather in July

Pa Kettle

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Ssscrudddy said:

Our weather is highly variable, so no one knows. February last year -10°C, this year 25°C.

25°C!! Really - in February.  I'm moving back :).  Don't you mean 15°C.  The highest ever recorded in the UK in February is 20.6°C

8 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

25°C!! Really - in February.  I'm moving back :).  Don't you mean 15°C.  The highest ever recorded in the UK in February is 20.6°C

But in Britain the meteorologists quote shade temperatures. Today it reached a lovely 60 degrees here (about 16 in centigrade) but it may have reached the 70s (so, 25 centigrade) in the bright afternoon sunshine.

Could this mean that we're in for a glorious 1976-style summer? We had half one last year but it turned colder and wetter just in time for the Cropredy Festival!

I don't know about 25 degrees but it was very comfortably warm this afternoon and may have made it up to 17 degrees according to my car.

However the clear skies and time of year meant the temperature dropped off and there may well be  a frost tonight.

Next weeks forecast is much more normal with daytime temperatures in single figures.

42 minutes ago, Athy said:

But in Britain the meteorologists quote shade temperatures. Today it reached a lovely 60 degrees here (about 16 in centigrade) but it may have reached the 70s (so, 25 centigrade) in the bright afternoon sunshine.

Could this mean that we're in for a glorious 1976-style summer? We had half one last year but it turned colder and wetter just in time for the Cropredy Festival!

Worldwide we (meteorologists) quote shade temperatures otherwise it gets very complicated and comparison is next to impossible.  With climate change yes the chance of another 1976 type summer (I was in Wales at the time so we didn't quite have the same experience :)) is increasing and rather than being a 1 in say 500 year event (don't know what the actual probability is) it will certainly have come down and we might get to see a couple in our own short lifetimes

1 minute ago, JJPHG said:

So it appears.  It takes a while for news to get round to this side of the world.  Well done Kew

It didn't feel that hot in Napton though?

Smelly must be down this Sunday. The Beeb said it was going to rain.

Windy, horrible, nasty, cold......i.e. Normal.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Today was an alltime UK record

I said that!

23 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wot! Is Smelly on the move again then??

Haven't seen him going down Well Creek yet 0- though, as there's been a land Rover Discovery partially submerged in the middle of the channel in Upwell since last Friday, he might not get far anyway. I have reported it to the MLC who say that they are aware it's there but that it's not their responsibility to fish it out.

15 hours ago, JJPHG said:

You know what, I don't measure the temperature with a wet thermometer & a dry thermometer in a louvred box that sits in the ideal location & then split the difference. Instead I have a digital thermometer in the bow. Being a steel narrowboat that is soaking up the heat from the sun & then radiating it back out, in a marina with a whole bunch of other steel narrowboats doing exactly the same thing, sheltered from the wind, therefore giving me a higher temp than what the met office would say. Presumably that also means the side of the boat facing the sun wasn't too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds either. Maybe it also means the river wasn't frozen last year. 

I just say the temp that the digital thermometer reads, after all I'm not doing scientific research so it really doesn't matter.

I guess this didn't happen last July either seeing as the highest recorded temp was 35.3°C in July last year in Kent, try telling it to the guy that was down in the engine hole! 

20180706_152158.jpg

Edited by Ssscrudddy

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

twas a lovely day and 18 deg C in Northamptonshire, pub garden has been full in the afternoons for 5 days now.

DJI_0003.JPG

Yep, same here, not in the pub, but drinkypoos on the back of the boat Sunday Monday Tuesday so far, probably again this arvo (see what I did there) if this weather keeps up. ?

7 hours ago, Ssscrudddy said:

You know what, I don't measure the temperature with a wet thermometer & a dry thermometer in a louvred box that sits in the ideal location & then split the difference. Instead I have a digital thermometer in the bow. Being a steel narrowboat that is soaking up the heat from the sun & then radiating it back out, in a marina with a whole bunch of other steel narrowboats doing exactly the same thing, sheltered from the wind, therefore giving me a higher temp than what the met office would say. Presumably that also means the side of the boat facing the sun wasn't too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds either. Maybe it also means the river wasn't frozen last year. 

I just say the temp that the digital thermometer reads, after all I'm not doing scientific research so it really doesn't matter.

I guess this didn't happen last July either seeing as the highest recorded temp was 35.3°C in July last year in Kent, try telling it to the guy that was down in the engine hole! 

Well that's fine and yes the temperature where you put the thermometer is exactly (depending on the accuracy of the thermometer) that.  Meteorologist are predominately interested in the temperature of the air mass and that is what is referred to in the forecast otherwise all they would say is something like it will be 15°C in the shade today but 25°C to 50°C in the sun depending where you are, what surface you are on etc etc - not much use to anybody.

That said though a forecast for say 25°C on a cloudy day would be very different to the same temperature on a sunny day for that guy down in the engine hole and in that respect the shade temperature is not much help to him.  It gets very complicated when you put the real world into the picture but it is possible.  For example I used to provide heat stress forecasts to the military decked out in full NBC kit and stuck in bunkers all day but to extend that to public forecasts would be impossible impractical to say the least.

Normal service looks like being resumed with frosts returning towards the middle of next week.  All this goes to show to the OP the variability and beauty of the British climate.  We may moan about it at times but it's a fascinating creature - I am biased though.