Partially incontinent Shurflo 403-444

pedroinlondon

Featured Posts

Hi

My Shurflo has develop partial incontinence. I'm assuming this matter has been debated to death but rather than searching through the archives I decided to post it as a new topic, mostly because I couldn't waste an opportunity of mentioning ''partial incontinence'' in a forum topic and then repeat it a few times in the text.

Rather than repair it I could just replace the whole partially incontinent mess as it's six years old anyway, but then realized it's been discontinued. Any suggestions? Would it be worth repairing it (after finding out if it's the diaphragm or what exactly is wrong with it) or just replace the thing with the closest replacement on the market right now?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20190201_201425448[1].jpg

You are right. This has been discussed many times and replacement is the usual answer, perhaps with repair the old one and keep it as a spare.  Leaks are usually from the joins in the body. Most people do not suceed in curing the incontinence.  Jabsco pumps are frequently used as replacements.  If you are living aboard then 6 years use seems pretty good.

You could always try wrapping it in a pair of those big Tena Lady dung hampers from that advert where some bint tries to convince everyone watching that they are 'pretty'.  It won't fix it, but it'll give you time to think about it before you decide leaks really are best tackled properly at the first attempt and buy a new pump. ;)

2 hours ago, pedroinlondon said:

Hi

My Shurflo has develop partial incontinence. I'm assuming this matter has been debated to death but rather than searching through the archives I decided to post it as a new topic, mostly because I couldn't waste an opportunity of mentioning ''partial incontinence'' in a forum topic and then repeat it a few times in the text.

Rather than repair it I could just replace the whole partially incontinent mess as it's six years old anyway, but then realized it's been discontinued. Any suggestions? Would it be worth repairing it (after finding out if it's the diaphragm or what exactly is wrong with it) or just replace the thing with the closest replacement on the market right now?

Thanks in advance

IMG_20190201_201425448[1].jpg

That is a Shurflo Trail King designed primarily for use in mobile homes etc. and it is still available, as are the neccessary parts to repair it if you are so inclined :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.XShurflo+Trail+King+.TRS0&_nkw=Shurflo+Trail+King+&_sacat=0

We had one on our boat and it is virtually identical to the much more expensive Aqua King version, which is the one always sold in chandlerys, quite inapropriately, because the Aqua King is designed to be protected from salty water!!

Edited by David Schweizer

Regardless of what others say, they are very easily repaired. We have a very similar pump on Nightwatch. We have owned the boat for 14 years. During that time we have replaced the diaphragm unit three times now. We live aboard and it's in almost constant use.

Edited by Nightwatch

Very good considering. Doing great. Well on our way to Langley Mill. Think we may get there on time in April.In Atherstone.

How's you. Are you moving in the foreseeable future or are you raising pigs?

Edited by Nightwatch

They nearly always leak where the two plastic bits fit together. The surfaces are very narrow, I cured (so far) mine by betting a bit of Sylglass tape from a dark corner of the odds and sods box, scraping the greenish sticky stuff off of it and spreading it on the surfaces, as yet it seems ok.

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Very good considering. Doing great. Well on our way to Landley Mill. Think we may get there on time in April.In Atherstone.

How's you. Are you moving in the foreseeable future or are you raising pigs?

Pigs..........chickens............ducks.............dogs.............cats..............soon be barby time for some fab belly pork :D

17 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

That is a Shurflo Trail King designed primarily for use in mobile homes etc. and it is still available, as are the neccessary parts to repair it if you are so inclined :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.XShurflo+Trail+King+.TRS0&_nkw=Shurflo+Trail+King+&_sacat=0

We had one on our boat and it is virtually identical to the much more expensive Aqua King version, which is the one always sold in chandlerys, quite inapropriately, because the Aqua King is designed to be protected from salty water!!

Thanks a lot David

That seller is definitely not a chandler. Not sure how to classify that shop though, have you bought from them before? I don't expect to be exposed to salty water unless someone from Thames Water make a very tragic mistake!!

16 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Regardless of what others say, they are very easily repaired. We have a very similar pump on Nightwatch. We have owned the boat for 14 years. During that time we have replaced the diaphragm unit three times now. We live aboard and it's in almost constant use.

Thanks Nightwatch

3 hours ago, pedroinlondon said:

Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do.

I may try to amalgamate all the suggestions into one.

But seriously, I think I'll take it apart and see if there's something obviously wrong with it.

If in doubt I'll replace it.

Thanks again.

The overall consensus appears to be replace it and then at your leisure repair it if possible and then you have a spare for the next time it fails. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, pedroinlondon said:

Thanks everyone. I still don't know what to do.

I may try to amalgamate all the suggestions into one.

But seriously, I think I'll take it apart and see if there's something obviously wrong with it.

If in doubt I'll replace it.

Thanks again.

Having kept two Shurflo pumps operational for twenty years, I am confident in suggesting that it is the diaphragm unit which has failed , causing the leak.  Available as a spare part here:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHURFLO-Sflo-12v-Tking-7-Pump-i-Diaphragm-only/202597153124?epid=1535837593&hash=item2f2bbb3964:g:PNcAAOSw6GhcXVCn:rk:2:pf:0

or you can opt for the complete diaphragm/drive unit, available here :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diaphragm-Drive-Kit-For-Trail-King-7-94-238-05-Shurflo-New/333063212401?epid=4017004268&hash=item4d8c1d4d71:g:134AAOSwpsBcXkJL:rk:10:pf:0

Personally, I would buy a new pump and repair the other one, keeping it as a spare.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2