Mooring

Peter009

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

I don't understand this hatred or dislike of widebeam boats and or boaters....people make choices dependant on there needs not because they want to be bloody awkward or difficult or because they fancy blocking the oxford canal.....if they want a widebeam then so be it......answers with terminology such as orrible great sewer tubes or monster wide beams etc is just not really needed.....

Id live on a wide beam if i could afford one to hell wether the traditionalists like it or not.....

The originator has joined this forum and has asked for help so lets at least attempt to assist.....

The best thing about boating is the canal community but sat behind a keyboard for a few that collapses and keyboard war takes place.....

Enjoy your widebeam and best of luck finiding a mooring ill keep my eye out as im K&A and ill let you know if i see anything suitable.

Matt.

Hi Matt have had a fair bit of it on this forum re the size of the boat, it is OK we are used to it but thank you for your post.  Our choice in having a widebeam boat was not just the size it was a necessity I am 6 ft 5 and cannot stand up straight on most other canalboats and my wife cannot stand being cramped up even in our current home she finds it difficult she needs space and so do I so that was the main reason we are looking forward to life on the water but hope there is not too much negativity with us for having a widebeam as there has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into this and everything we have we are far from rich in fact terribly skint now because of the boat so if people think people with widebeam boats have money I think it is the opposite in our case we did not fully know the extent of what we were taking on when we brought it but being 80% there now makes it worthwhile she is a beautiful boat

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Peter009 said:

Hi Matt have had a fair bit of it on this forum re the size of the boat, it is OK we are used to it but thank you for your post.  Our choice in having a widebeam boat was not just the size it was a necessity I am 6 ft 5 and cannot stand up straight on most other canalboats and my wife cannot stand being cramped up even in our current home she finds it difficult she needs space and so do I so that was the main reason we are looking forward to life on the water but hope there is not too much negativity with us for having a widebeam as there has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into this and everything we have we are far from rich in fact terribly skint now because of the boat so if people think people with widebeam boats have money I think it is the opposite in our case we did not fully know the extent of what we were taking on when we brought it but being 80% there now makes it worthwhile she is a beautiful boat

Im pleased she is what you wanted and all the blood sweat and tears makes it even more special when it finaly happens.

We are litterally 1-2 months away from our life afloat. We have had our boat for 3/4 of a year now and love it. The house is registered with estate agents for rent the savings are ready for our year afloat and i am really looking forward to it...work were not so happy tho but gave me a sebatical which was nice of them.

Cant wait to explore

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Hi Matt have had a fair bit of it on this forum re the size of the boat, it is OK we are used to it but thank you for your post.  <snip> we are far from rich in fact terribly skint now because of the boat so if people think people with widebeam boats have money I think it is the opposite in our case we did not fully know the extent of what we were taking on when we brought it but being 80% there now makes it worthwhile she is a beautiful boat

Being broke is one of the side effects of having a boat, whether a skinny one or a fat one. Worth every penny, though.

No-one here really hates fat boats (or, in fact, thin ones, shiny ones, marina squatters or continuous cruisers), it's just they have their place and it isn't on the narrow canals.  If you're planning on living on a boat rather than exploring the whole system, a widebeam is the logical choice - I do envy you the space. And the height - I'm six foot two and collide with light fittings on a regular basis.  And there's plenty of canal that you can explore.  There's a lot of it about.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Im pleased she is what you wanted and all the blood sweat and tears makes it even more special when it finaly happens.

We are litterally 1-2 months away from our life afloat. We have had our boat for 3/4 of a year now and love it. The house is registered with estate agents for rent the savings are ready for our year afloat and i am really looking forward to it...work were not so happy tho but gave me a sebatical which was nice of them.

Cant wait to explore

Hi we are a few months away too very exiting now it is finally happening looking forward to a new life like many on this forum once did it is also a bit nerve racking but it will be worth it in the end 

8 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

As i said packet boat lane. 

Middlesex grand union wide thames accessible

i wasnt having a go at peter 009 he has done much research unlike myself who in 1980 just bought a boat and went to cowley..

Hi am looking at that one it is a good location too for us to see family, I know you was not having a go all good with me and our monster boat ☺️

19 hours ago, Athy said:

I did think of that, but assumed (not having figures to hand) that running the engine would be FAR cheaper than using plug-in electricity - after all, it will heat the water at the same time and thus do two jobs for the price of one.

You are miles away old sport. Plug in leccy as like household leccy were you all get it for as near as damn it free. I am plugged in at present and run everything including seperate fridge and freezer, immersion heater on 24/7 lectric cookery gadgets and kettle etc etc and its less than #1.50 per day. Couldnt possibly have unlimited leccy and hot water for 24 hours for that money.

13 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Cant wait to explore

Well done that man. cruising whilst you are still alive is way more sensible than working all your life and being a " Gonna do " waiting to take " early retirement " and not even getting there. Enjoy it whilst you can, you may even bin the job and do something else that enables you to go cruising many times more over the years. Makes sense to me ?

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Wow residential moorings are serious money. Its more than double my mortgage.....? 

Wholly shamolly, glad we are looking to cc for the year......as could not afford those prices

Welcome to the real world of canal boating!
Plenty of people on this forum have been saying for ages that boating is not the cheap way to live, and now you know one of the reasons.
Not start adding in all the other expenses.

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Wow residential moorings are serious money. Its more than double my mortgage.....? 

Wholly shamolly, glad we are looking to cc for the year......as could not afford those prices

But if you move away from the artificially inflated "South" and take a mooring in the more pleasant parts of our Great Britain the costs become much more 'normal'.

Whilst a Residential mooring in London can be £15,000 pa, in the 'Midlands' a full residential mooring (free washing machine usage, free Wi-Fi, free pump-out etc etc) can be had for £4000 pa.

I have never understood why anyone would choose to live South of Watford Gap.

• Greenie 2

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But if you move away from the artificially inflated "South" and take a mooring in the more pleasant parts of our Great Britain the costs become much more 'normal'.

Whilst a Residential mooring in London can be £15,000 pa, in the 'Midlands' a full residential mooring (free washing machine usage, free Wi-Fi, free pump-out etc etc) can be had for £4000 pa.

I'm with you there - never done it myself (if you discount some spells when I was SoWG but knew that I was coming back).

Strangely, the vast majority of the world's population seem to manage it ok - just shows you - theres now't so strange as folk.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have never understood why anyone would choose to live South of Watford Gap

Don't they do it for the inflated wages which are brought about by the inflated cost of living... which they then can't or don't want to pay? 

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Don't they do it for the inflated wages which are brought about by the inflated cost of living... which they then can't or don't want to pay? 

Agreed, but at the end of the day - its disposable income that counts.

My No2 Son is just moving down to the South coast for work.

His salary will be about £5k more than it is here, but his house rent will be about £10,000 more. He is actually going to be considerably worse off (financially). he was offered a job locally but wanted to 1) move to the South Coast and 2) have a pay rise.

O' the naivety of youth !!

35 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Its that lure of possibility isnt it that very rarely exists for but a few......

If truth were to tell - I think its more of 'ease of launching his boat and going Cod fishing in the Channel', rather than trying to launch of a flat east Coast sandy beach and having to push the trailer out 'miles' before it is deep enough to launch.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If truth were to tell - I think its more of 'ease of launching his boat and going Cod fishing in the Channel', rather than trying to launch of a flat east Coast sandy beach and having to push the trailer out 'miles' before it is deep enough to launch.

Well at least he has got his priorities right ?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because it's where you were born and where your family and friends live?

We enjoyed our time living in Staffordshire but in the end the pull of home was too strong and drew us back to Kent.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there is no reason not to live somewhere else and travel to see family & friends - you don't have to 'live in their pockets'.

Home is where you lay your head.

I often 'smile to myself' watching these moving house programmes "we need 4 or 5 bedrooms for when Auntie Wotsit comes, and if she happens to be here when the Grand kids arrive we must have enough bedrooms to put them all up",

Its your house (for 2 people ?) yet you are going to get a big house with (say) 3 additional bedrooms that MAY get used once a year just to accommodate someone who MAY pay you a visit.

If friends and family come and visit us, they either sleep in the 'spare' bedroom', on the pull-out bed in the conservatory, or curl up on the sofa(s) or we/they put a tent up in the garden.

We expect the same if we visit friends.

Maybe its just a 'gender thing'.

We're a very close family who want to live close enough to each other to pop round without a six hour round trip. We regularly meet up for family meals - usually about 14 of us. Plus I'm not very well at the moment and need family support.

As you say we're all different - I was just putting forward a reason why someone would choose to live in the south east ?

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there is no reason not to live somewhere else and travel to see family & friends - you don't have to 'live in their pockets'.

Home is where you lay your head.

I often 'smile to myself' watching these moving house programmes "we need 4 or 5 bedrooms for when Auntie Wotsit comes, and if she happens to be here when the Grand kids arrive we must have enough bedrooms to put them all up",

Its your house (for 2 people ?) yet you are going to get a big house with (say) 3 additional bedrooms that MAY get used once a year just to accommodate someone who MAY pay you a visit.

If friends and family come and visit us, they either sleep in the 'spare' bedroom', on the pull-out bed in the conservatory, or curl up on the sofa(s) or we/they put a tent up in the garden.

We expect the same if we visit friends.

Maybe its just a 'gender thing'.

I have friends who had a boat built, he wanted a trad with an engine room and 2 berth, she wanted 6 berth for the grand kids to visit so no room for an engine room and it had to be semi trad so room on the back for them all. Two guesses for you, who got what they wanted and how many times have the grand kids stayed?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1