Mooring

Peter009

Featured Posts

Hi everyone starting to look around now for mooring and we are looking down south due to our current location does anyone know of any mooring avaialble at all on the Grand Union towards middlesex or proximity of the area, also looking at the oxford canal, we have been on the canals and river trust website but not much there we have a 60 x 12 widebeam so makes it a bit limited on what canals we can moor on

We are looking to live on the boat not leisure mooring thanks

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Now then, which part of the widebeam Oxford canal were you considering with your 12' wide monster boat?

You would not be popular or able to move very far.

A couple of the marinas on the North Oxford accept widebeams, I think. As you say, the potential cruising range  would be limited, but perhaps Peter is not interested in cruising very far.

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Now then, which part of the widebeam Oxford canal were you considering with your 12' wide monster boat?

You would not be popular or able to move very far.

What a thoroughly obnoxious reply. I think some boaters are becoming fishermen. The OP is looking for a live aboard mooring and your reply was of no help whatsoever. It's no wonder that new posters to this forum don't stay long and we end up with the same old same few on here.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, pete.i said:

What a thoroughly obnoxious reply. I think some boaters are becoming fishermen. The OP is looking for a live aboard mooring and your reply was of no help whatsoever. It's no wonder that new posters to this forum don't stay long and we end up with the same old same few on here.

But the OP made himself look a bit foolish by stating he was looking for a wide beam mooring around Middlesex or on the Oxford canal for a wide beam. He also  said "down South". I felt Sam's reply was light touch of humour aimed at a bit of an ill thought out question.

I can not help with a reply but I know Thames and Kennet marina in Reading accept wide beams and livaboards and I have seen livaboards on the K&A (non-CaRT I think) moorings below Burgfield Island on the offside but I suspect he will not like the T&K prices. If he wants to be around Oxford in a widebeam he needs to look at Thames moorings.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, pete.i said:

What a thoroughly obnoxious reply. I think some boaters are becoming fishermen

Hmm, I wonder whether this comment might merit you rereading your earlier response?

What a thoroughly obnoxious reply. The OP is looking for a live aboard mooring and your reply was of no help whatsoever. It's no wonder that new posters to this forum don't stay long and we end up with the same old same few on here.

Edited by Sea Dog
Gobbledegook removal! :D Anyway, I'm only messing about.

Peter009, I think you need some more direct answers. My apologies if I'm restating stuff you know, but:

All the locks on the Oxford canal are narrow i.e. 7 feet wide; your 12' boat is way too wide to fit through them, and many of the bridge holes too.

The same applies to many canals especially in the midlands, so if your boat is in the north and not seaworthy enough to go around East Anglia, the only way to reach the Thames etc. is by craning out, road haulage and back in; not cheap.

There are waters in the south which your boat will fit along, notably the Thames, the K&A and the Grand Union. The latter all the way up to almost the centre of Birmingham, but generally the further up you go the more awkward it gets for a widebeam. However lots of people want to live on a widebeam in the south, so moorings don't come cheap and you will need to shop around for the best compromise for you between price, facilities and location. It sounds as if you're not interested in moving far, so you'll be wanting a place in a marina really.

You say you don't want to be on a leisure mooring, which will really limit your choice, but maybe others can point you to fully residential moorings in your desired area, perhaps somewhere on the Thames or along the GU through West London or up from there towards the Tring summit. It definitely won't be cheap; good luck!

TERRIBLY SORRY!

If my attempt at levity in my response to the question is regarded as obnoxious it is sad.

Simply telling the member that his boat won't fit in a narrow canal seems not to stress the point sufficiently in my view.

Are there members who are so sensitive to humour that they will insult me by accusing me of being obnoxious when I am only a bit daft?

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Are there members who are so sensitive to humour that they will insult me by accusing me of being obnoxious when I am only a bit daft?

Oh yes! 

ETA (Sorry  you won't read this comment as you have blocked me due to my "humour") . 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Oh yes! 

ETA (Sorry  you won't read this comment as you have blocked me due to my "humour") . 

Oh rusty, how could you accuse me of that after all this time? I only said I could, not would, ignore you but you have got much better of late. I secretly read all your posts.

There are currently only 6 members in the ignore list.

VOTE     Am I really obnoxious?  Aye or Nay?

Edited by Boater Sam
added more
  • Haha 1

VOTE     Am I really obnoxious?  Aye or Nay?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A poll is what you require. 

Don't do it Sam!  You managed to convince us you're only a bit daft in Post #9 - quit whilst you're ahead! :D

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You've gotta be daft to own a boat. 

What about being on this forum?

I'll quit.

its 27 degrees, the sun is shining, gentle breeze blowing.

The sea is blue, 2 kilometres of clean sand, sat in the bar with a San Miguel Pilsen.

And I have another 6 weeks of this.

Why should I care about 12' wide boats, Br***t, the £, or whether I'm obnoxious?

What about being on this forum?

I'll quit.

its 27 degrees, the sun is shining, gentle breeze blowing.

The sea is blue, 2 kilometres of clean sand, sat in the bar with a San Miguel Pilsen.

And I have another 6 weeks of this.

Why should I care about 12' wide boats, Br***t, the £, or whether I'm obnoxious?

If you're trying to make me jealous........its bloody well working. I hope you spill your beer down your shorts and get sand in yer bum crack.

PS you are not obnoxious, you are like a cuddly pink hand grenade.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

Super obnoxious! May all your Josher washers fall off and your bottom have barnacles. 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you're trying to make me jealous........its bloody well working. I hope you spill your beer down your shorts and get sand in yer bum crack.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Dont quit . You speak much truth and honesty... frequently you say what i think.

24 degrees sun shining, back to boat  and bad weather in a few weeks. 

I'll take that as a Nay then. Thanks Roland.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, pete.i said:

IMHO no-one with any empathy with our waterways and the degree to which they are changing is going to encourage wide-beams on the Oxford canal which I think was the responders main point as he didn't make a GU reference - in my direct experience wide-beam marina dwellers often think its nice to go outside...……………………………...

23 hours ago, Peter009 said:

Hi everyone starting to look around now for mooring and we are looking down south due to our current location does anyone know of any mooring avaialble at all on the Grand Union towards middlesex or proximity of the area, also looking at the oxford canal, we have been on the canals and river trust website but not much there we have a 60 x 12 widebeam so makes it a bit limited on what canals we can moor on

We are looking to live on the boat not leisure mooring thanks

PLEASE stick to the GU, Thames or K&A 

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 2