Harvesting free power

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

>> how many watt hours can I carry and what is the most efficient / most compact / easiest to carry way of doing this<<

Correct.

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

Aye?

I don't know what the most powerful wall adapter is on the market, but you'd take the power this (most powerful adapter) can generate and see if that meets the energy required

Oh dear. An adaptor does not generate power - it transforms electric energy from 230V AC to 5V DC (or whatever).

But as I said above, and 1st Ade explained for you, it is the rate of energy flow that matters, whether you measure it in joules or watt hours (we are, after all, talkign about quite small amounts of energy).

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Correct.

Oh dear. An adaptor does not generate power - it transforms electric energy from 230V AC to 5V DC (or whatever).

But as I said above, and 1st Ade explained for you, it is the rate of energy flow that matters, whether you measure it in joules or watt hours (we are, after all, talkign about quite small amounts of energy).

also worth noting that it doesn't matter whether you have a 5A usb supply or a 5000A usb supply since the rate of charge will be limited by the device being charged.

much like a 150A alternator putting the last 20% into batteries on a boat.

On 13/02/2019 at 19:41, CompairHolman said:

We have no electric on our mooring, we often go to Costa coffee and spend about half an hour in there, they have mains sockets free to use to charge devices, we were thinking if we took a power bank with us in our bags how much charge could we suck up in half an hour without blowing their fuses ? 

Might be worth it if we could power our tablets, WiFi device, phones, and led lamp for the night ? 

Every little helps if your off grid. 

Can you not ask your boss at work assuming its not your business if you can charge a battery pack each day? Assuming you work a five day week a couple of packs and you could even cover days off? No good of course if you are retired? If you are on the dole then surely wetherspoons are used to this and will have dedicated sockets near the fag machines?

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Can you not ask your boss at work assuming its not your business if you can charge a battery pack each day? Assuming you work a five day week a couple of packs and you could even cover days off? No good of course if you are retired? If you are on the dole then surely wetherspoons are used to this and will have dedicated sockets near the fag machines?

Fag machines!! Haven’t seen them for yonks. 

But I have seen people recharging smoking gadgets, eco cigars and such like using the old fag machine sockets. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Goliath said:

Fag machines!! Haven’t seen them for yonks. 

But I have seen people recharging smoking gadgets, eco cigars and such like using the old fag machine sockets. 

Yonks, bloomin awesome. Praps we could baffle t suvverners wiv us own language? appen

• Happy 1

Other parts of the south may have their own words for it, but to me, brought up in south London, any foot path between or around buildings which isn't part of a road is an alley. And yes, we do use yonks down here, I think it's widely used across England at least.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’m quite happy to be blocked by someone who thinks that all Jags are made on Mondeo floor pans!

The X-type is / was.

Based on the original CDW27 platform that was developed by Ford & Mazda as a 'world' platform.

Edited by Alan de Enfield