Narrow boat slipping trailer

robby

Featured Posts

this is a narrowboat launch trailer i made two years ago it will carry 16 tons, with turn table front stearing very maneuverable, it has also got a hydraulic lift system so you can jack up your boat chock it up and pull the trailer out to be use again. the boat can be worked on without tying up the trailer.this has been very usefull tell me what you think

Robby

image.png.a82d818928026a6ec68262d17033c31a.png

image.png

Looks nice.  Loadsa questions!

For starters?

What is its maximum capacity, length wise and is the overall length/trolley spacing adjustable for short boats?

Will it do V bottoms?

How does the hydraulic jack bit work?

How do you stop the wheel bearings going rusty when it is out of the water?

N

2 hours ago, robby said:

this is a narrowboat launch trailer i made two years ago it will carry 16 tons, with turn table front stearing very maneuverable, it has also got a hydraulic lift system so you can jack up your boat chock it up and pull the trailer out to be use again. the boat can be worked on without tying up the trailer.this has been very usefull tell me what you think

Robby

image.png.a82d818928026a6ec68262d17033c31a.png

image.png

Where did you source the wheels? Are they polyurethane bonded units? 

12 hours ago, robby said:

...tell me what you think

It looks like a home made version (not in a bad way) of one that's commercially available - Droitwich Spa Marina have one.  Theirs is a lot more rugged (I believe it has greater lifting capacity) and has twin tractor sized wheels at one end only so will ride rough surfaces better, but works in a similar way in terms of the hydraulic lift to place boats on sleepers.

18 hours ago, zenataomm said:

The hat doesn't suit but I'm fond of checked shirts.

i am not fashion conscious, anyway i am not under the hat

18 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is that a Colchester lathe you have in your shed?

no a warco piece of rubish but it does the job for me

18 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is that a Colchester lathe you have in your shed?

8 hours ago, rusty69 said:

It looks good to me, but guess it is only suitable for Shallow inclined slips due to the small wheels. 

i made the wheels for our slip and i did not want them outside the trailer it makes it more difficult to remove when boat is on sleepers

8 hours ago, rusty69 said:

It looks good to me, but guess it is only suitable for Shallow inclined slips due to the small wheels. 

21 hours ago, BEngo said:

Looks nice.  Loadsa questions!

For starters?

What is its maximum capacity, length wise and is the overall length/trolley spacing adjustable for short boats?

Will it do V bottoms?

How does the hydraulic jack bit work?

How do you stop the wheel bearings going rusty when it is out of the water?

N

my own hydraulic rams

Imported Photos 00101.JPG

Imported Photos 00140.JPG

Imported Photos 00226.JPG

12 minutes ago, RichM said:

Looks really well constructed and I like how you've fabricated pretty much all of it without re-purposing or borrowing many parts so to speak. The only thing that lets it down is that dumper truck.  ?

I agree, unless it's powered by a Lister.

21 minutes ago, robby said:

the wheels were a challenge got to carry a lot of weight they carry my 50 ft and a friends 55ft showing no stress 4 at the back do the job

Sheesh, does the 50ft go on top?

Edited by zenataomm
My socks were on fire

On 13/02/2019 at 21:53, ianali said:

Where did you source the wheels? Are they polyurethane bonded units? 

had to make them myself, to buy ready made to carry this kind of weight was to expensive, my wheels were fabricated steel and cost nothing but my time, the expence was the solid polyurethane tyres done by a company in birmingham cost £400 the most expensive bit of the whole job

Imported Photos 00242.JPG

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, liam@interiorzest.co.uk said:

I am trying to find something like this to get narrowboats in and out of our workshop. Would you consider making one to sell us? What would the cost be. I've been trying to find something on the market for sometime. Thank you. 

You might be better sending the OP a private message, since he hasn't be on here since November

On 24/02/2020 at 21:08, liam@interiorzest.co.uk said:

I am trying to find something like this to get narrowboats in and out of our workshop. Would you consider making one to sell us? What would the cost be. I've been trying to find something on the market for sometime. Thank you. 

Talk to Alice at Alan Keef ltd.  They made the ACS trailer and put in the rails.

N