Hull measurements

TGweeder

Featured Posts

Hi all

Could anyone please explain why a boat corrodes in the way it has in this image?

I have not yet seen where the anodes are placed so could it be reduced by fitting more or possible moving what's fitted. 

Would this be a normal kind of expectation subject to good or poor maintenance. Boat is around a 1998 build.

Just seems odd how the centre of the boat is going before the ends. 

Look forward to your views :)

_20190213_090810.JPG

5 minutes ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Hi all

Could anyone please explain why a boat corrodes in the way it has in this image?

I have not yet seen where the anodes are placed so could it be reduced by fitting more or possible moving what's fitted. 

Would this be a normal kind of expectation subject to good or poor maintenance. Boat is around a 1998 build.

Anodes only have a limited sphere of influence so with the typical front and back anodes it is to be expected. On a typical narrowboat covering much of the country anodes down the hull might not be practical. Probably better to keep the hull coating up to date and ensure the hull is protected from shoreline grounding corrosion.

Yes, it is pretty much normal for the maximum loss to be as far away from the anodes as is possible to get. If you think about it, this is hardly surprising. Unfortunately, putting a line of anodes down the side of the hull is not practical, and for the baseplate, as has been said, the relative thinning is as likely to be due to damp inside the boat as outside. If the thinnish  baseplate areas relate to the location of the bathroom and shower, check under the floor there for any signs of leaks from the shower tray. For the age of boat I personally wouldn’t be even slightly worried about the hull (if you are).

4 hours ago, Tim Gilbert said:

Hi all

_20190213_090810.JPG

So its in brilliant condition then ? check again in 2060 ish just in case it needs looking at.

Thank you everyone :)

That image was from a survey done at the end of 2016. 

Call me mad if you wish. I am in the process of buying it. 

Haven't bothered with a survey as I have all the equipment and enough knowledge of how to repair if anything needed cutting out and replacing rebuilding ect and have been over the boat as much as possible myself. 

Just wanted to confirm and understand what might be going on with the Hull. 

Anything go's wrong when I get it home it will only cost me in materials. 

I do realise the risk :)

I do intend to befriend a surveyor along the way and have them check it over. 

I am new to boats have been looking and learning for a year and a half now was saving up for a 125 year old boat that I like but this has come along at a good price and fits what I am looking for. 

Look out for some more odd questions along the way. 

Thank you all again :)