Lister ST3

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

A smoky one could easily be sump oil contaminated with fuel oil due to cracked internal oil pipes, its a common problem.

The copper gets brittle and cracks, they should be taken out and annealed regularly to prevent this.

Ignoring it will destroy bearings and bores.

What colour is the smoke? and when does it smoke?

Blue all the time is worn pistons and rings/bores or fuel in the oil thinning it down.

Black is overloaded engine or injectors out of adjustment.

White is unburnt fuel due to misfires or retarded timing.

Smoke on tick over in locks is common but should not be excessive, black smoke on full chat is normal until the engine reached full speed or the load is reduced.

Heavy blue smoke after  a long idling period when the throttle is cracked open is valve guides worn.

The OP hasn't bought it. His friend has bought it from someone who had neglected it in their ownership. It a fibre glass top but looks okay. Houdini hatch has a leak but it's on the list of things to do item number 1327.

The engine is ticking over as I type berthed next to us. Wisps of blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust but not loads. Sounds nice. Says to decoke it all you need is a bit of vim into the air inlet. I'm not convinced. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

The OP hasn't bought it. His friend has bought it from someone who had neglected it in their ownership. It a fibre glass top but looks okay. Houdini hatch has a leak but it's on the list of things to do item number 1327.

The engine is ticking over as I type berthed next to us. Wisps of blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust but not loads. Sounds nice. Says to decoke it all you need is a bit of vim into the air inlet. I'm not convinced. 

That old one - I thought that was supposed to de-glaze the bores and I am also not convinced. Sounds like bodgery of the first order.

I agree.

The previous owner ran the engine and the gearbox with no or very little oil. Mate says he'll put some stuff, forgot what it's called, in and that re-coats everything with metal-ish deposits. I asked if it's like redex and he said no.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That old one - I thought that was supposed to de-glaze the bores and I am also not convinced. Sounds like bodgery of the first order.

A classic for getting new rings to bed in

No effect on shot valve guides, dimpled rockers, blocked injector jets, carbon build up...

Richard

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

I agree.

The previous owner ran the engine and the gearbox with no or very little oil. Mate says he'll put some stuff, forgot what it's called, in and that re-coats everything with metal-ish deposits. I asked if it's like redex and he said no.

Snake oil

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Wisps of blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust but not loads.

In or out of gear?

If it is gear and running hard, it might be the stop on the side where the stop lever is

If it is idling out of gear, that's a poorly engine

Richard

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Is it one of the boats with the sliding centre roof?

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Is it one of the boats with the sliding centre roof?

Yes it is. 1973 I've been told. 

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

A classic for getting new rings to bed in

No effect on shot valve guides, dimpled rockers, blocked injector jets, carbon build up...

Richard

Snake oil

In or out of gear?

If it is gear and running hard, it might be the stop on the side where the stop lever is

If it is idling out of gear, that's a poorly engine

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but thought snake oil might have been involved. The engine, was, idling out of gear. Turned off now. 

14 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I agree.

If these products are so good, how come the manufacturers of engines don't use them? 

We had a customer with a perfectly sound Mercedes engine in a Les Allen boat.

Dosed it with "Molybdenum Disulphide" super snake oil additive and it was destroyed a month later.

The only way to re-coat with metal is metal spraying, welding and re-machining. Metal-ish is a good non description !

Redex is just upper cylinder lubricant, er, oil. Useless in a diesel engine, it mucks up the cetane rating.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

Diesel fuel system cleaner does work to a quite an extent. It will clean the injector pump and injector nozzles. I've made many engines miss firing with fouled, leaking injector nozzles run clean and missfire free again.  The tip is to use it half neat 50/50.  Remove engine fuel filter, tip out half of the fuel and pour in fuel cleaner, whack it back on sharpish, quick bleed and start up, run until running smooth and clean exhaust. It works in most cases. I've got many dirty diesel vehicles through the MOT with this treatment. Of course the odd one has been too bad for it to work and needing extra engine work or, timing or injector servicing.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

The engine in question is running. There is no evidence of smoke, of any colour, exiting the exhaust. It does sound good. It may not be in idle, perhaps a fewrevs on.

They like to be under load. Starting from cold or after left idling for sometime and hot it will  smoke for a bit when put under load and should then clear with perhaps a very feint running blue haze.  Black smoke will probably be emitted if the prop gets fouled or the throttle's whacked wide open suddenly.

Edited by bizzard

On 14/02/2019 at 13:19, Nightwatch said:

(snip)

Nah, for a de-coke you need brake fluid ....

(NOT recommending this, BTW ! ?)