2nd viewing this week- one bit advice

Leemc

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

and a copy of the VAT certificate by making a 'donation to the coffee fund' of the local customs office.

Im sure a lot of people will be interested in the mechanics of this? Was it as simple as walking into the office, (whatever it is), telling the person at the desk you would like a copy of the VAT certificate for XYZ boat, and that you would give them fifty quid for coffee in return.

I would not know where to start with something like this, but if I could buy a boat, or something else, for 2/3rds of its ultimate value, it would be a good thing to know. 

38 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Im sure a lot of people will be interested in the mechanics of this? Was it as simple as walking into the office, (whatever it is), telling the person at the desk you would like a copy of the VAT certificate for XYZ boat, and that you would give them fifty quid for coffee in return.

I would not know where to start with something like this, but if I could buy a boat, or something else, for 2/3rds of its ultimate value, it would be a good thing to know. 

Like any negotiation - Identify the person who has the power (and its unlikely to be the receptionist) simply start by asking how you can achieve what you want to achieve, then determine methods that you can both agree on - "is there anything that can help move the process forward" shall we go out for lunch and discuss it etc etc etc.

It is amazing how many times in my business life I was asked for 'things' in exchange for business - yes - even in 'this' corruption free country. In the 'Eastern' and 'Southern' sides of Europe it is the only way to move forward - grease the wheels.

It was not actually a 'copy' of the VAT certificate because there was no paperwork trail suggesting it had ever been paid - it required a retrospective certificate on EU Form "T2L"

If you want to obtain a T2L in the UK from HMRC, this is the system :

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/boating-abroad/Pages/t2l.aspx

If you are asked for documentary evidence that your boat has the status of Union goods when entering or cruising within the EU evidence that the VAT has been accounted for (e.g. the VAT invoice showing the amount of VAT that was paid) should be sufficient. There are however three countries which are known to occasionally request a T2L. If you are planning to take your boat to Portugal, in particular to the area under the jurisdiction of the Faro customs authority, a T2L is recommended. Owners have also occasionally been asked for a T2L in Croatia and Cyprus.

Although a T2L does not of itself prove that VAT has been paid, because a T2L is validated by HMRC it might nevertheless assist in satisfying foreign customs officials that a boat has Union status and is entitled to free movement. Boaters intending to visit EU members states other than those referred to above may therefore also wish to apply for a T2L.

Lagoon 380 T2L.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case he is committing a criminal offence selling it.

The offence is offering it for sale, regardless of whether it actually sells. So the owner of the RCD-less boat in question has already committed an offence, and withdrawing the boat from sale won't change that.

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The offence is offering it for sale, regardless of whether it actually sells. So the owner of the RCD-less boat in question has already committed an offence, and withdrawing the boat from sale won't change that.

Such subtleties are lost on some boaters...