2nd viewing this week- one bit advice

Leemc

Featured Posts

On 13/02/2019 at 23:30, Patrick_C said:

I've heard a few stories about sellers and in one case even a broker telling potential buyers that that there was some reason they couldn't test all the power systems on a boat. 

Last week I saw a survey where the surveyor said he couldn't test the 240v as he couldn't find the on switch........he was told exactly where the on switch was. He said the 240v circuits were outside the scope of the survey.

57 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I've never bought a second hand car. Do you get a mechanics report??

I didn't commission my own hull survey when I bought my boat but the circumstances of my particular sale gave me reason to be comfortable not doing so. I wouldn't recommend that any else doesn't commission their own but there are ways of evaluating the risk if you don't.

A detailed survey report holds validity for as long as the conditions don't change. I see you are in East Yorkshire so maybe you regularly travel over the Humber Bridge or over the Selby or Goole rail swing bridges. How often do you think they are subject to detailed examination?

They will be subject to is a periodical (measured in years) detailed examination and structural assessment supplemented by regular (perhaps annual) visual inspection. The key is that the detailed examination and assessment is undertaken by a suitably qualified person and the visual inspection confirms that the situation described in the detailed work has not changed and therefore the full examination still remains valid.

Hence the approach I suggested in the event the OP chooses not to commission a survey is firstly to establish that the last survey is reliable and the surveyor is reputable. That's the reason for asking them if they are willing to transfer the survey in to the buyers name. Then establish that the hull is physically as described and has been subject to any recommended work.

Every single one of us puts our faith in someone else's ability to assure the built environment based on three year old surveys every time we venture outside.

JP

I think we will just have to differ because I disagree with much of your post but it is to late to argue. Lets just say that both of us would offer different advice to the OP.

Howard

Edited by howardang

45 minutes ago, howardang said:

I think we will just have to differ because I disagree with much of your post but it is to late to argue. Lets just say that both of us would offer different advice to the OP.

Howard

I'm not arguing. I was offering advice on how the OP might go about the business of going down his stated preferred route.

Why don't you advise him of what you think rather than spend your time disagreeing with me. I certainly won't disagree if you suggest he get a full hull survey.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

34 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm not arguing. I was offering advice on how the OP might go about the business of going down his stated preferred route.

Why don't you advise him of what you think rather than spend your time disagreeing with me. I certainly won't disagree if you suggest he get a full hull survey.

JP

I gave him something to consider in my earlier post. I really don't think there is much point to adding further comment. I am sure the OP has had enough input from all the contributors to make up his mind.

Howard

Edited by howardang

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Last week I saw a survey where the surveyor said he couldn't test the 240v as he couldn't find the on switch........he was told exactly where the on switch was. He said the 240v circuits were outside the scope of the survey.

The last thing I would spend any money on would be a survey. On my 8th liveaboard and never had a survey or indeed a bad boat. 8 surveys would be quite a few quid. I have read many over the years and several of them would have been great on Jackanory.

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The last thing I would spend any money on would be a survey. On my 8th liveaboard and never had a survey or indeed a bad boat. 8 surveys would be quite a few quid. I have read many over the years and several of them would have been great on Jackanory.

I understand that viewpoint, and personally I would feel the same,  but it may be that your previous experience in the Grey Funnel Line may have given you an advantage which others may not have. To someone coming  new to boats it is an alien environment, and may seem too complex and fraught with pitfalls as a venture without someone to hold their hand until they gain a little knowledge? Like many things in life, there are good and bad surveyors but having seen instances of both I think a lot of people will quickly sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Howard

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

If you can do it subject to survey and this is via a broker then the survey is likely to throw up at least £1000 of repairs needed which you then get off the sale price thus paying for your new survey. This will however take 4 weeks to accomplish. If you want the boat sooner then forget the survey. 

Or if someone else wants the boat sooner (and without a survey)...

I bought Belfast despite the survey report. But then full length Big Woolwichs don't come on the market that often.

Edited by David Mack

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

I bought Belfast despite the survey report. But then full length Big Woolwichs don't come on the market that often.

I'm glad you added that last bit - I had visions of a WWII Cruiser coming up the Grand Union!  :o

Edited by Athy

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm glad you added that last bit - I had visions of a WWII Cruiser coming up the Grand Union!  :o

Well... Both Belfast 115 and HMS Belfast were built by Harland and Wolff (At North Woolwich and Belfast respectively), and for both boats the build started in 1936, with HMS Belfast's keel being laid down the day after Belfast 115 was registered at Brentford. On the other hand, HMS Belfast was built with 48 guns and 6 torpedo tubes, and we have none of either!

745477634_HMSBelfast.png.90f336062eb8da555e5df8d8501bb0ec.pngBelfast115.jpg.badf6dfd34f410151f8dead523bb3145.jpg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Well... Both Belfast 115 and HMS Belfast were built by Harland and Wolff (At North Woolwich and Belfast respectively), and for both boats the build started in 1936, with HMS Belfast's keel being laid down the day after Belfast 115 was registered at Brentford. On the other hand, HMS Belfast was built with 48 guns and 6 torpedo tubes, and we have none of either!

745477634_HMSBelfast.png.90f336062eb8da555e5df8d8501bb0ec.pngBelfast115.jpg.badf6dfd34f410151f8dead523bb3145.jpg

Awesome! That's a real cool bit of coincidental provenance, that is. May they both still be around in another 83 years.

• 1 month later...

Hi all  (again)

thanks for helpful advice. We agreed to buy the boat but the deal has now stalled. 

The people who own the boat we were buying, we aiming to buy a longer narrow boat that doesn't have the necessary rcd, so hey have backed out of their deal.

back to the search ?

Cest la vie!

17 minutes ago, Leemc said:

The people who own the boat we were buying, we aiming to buy a longer narrow boat that doesn't have the necessary rcd, so hey have backed out of their deal.

How silly.  Pointless caring about the RCD papers on a second hand boat.

I predict they will still be looking for a boat to buy in a year or three, so best you give up on this one. 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How silly.  Pointless caring about the RCD papers on a second hand boat.

I predict they will still be looking for a boat to buy in a year or three, so best you give up on this one. 

Completely agree, A piece of paper that means nowt that matters owt.

13 minutes ago, Leemc said:

The boat is under 5 years old and he said to me it would fail its boat safely certificate without an rcd.

Absolute cow-droppings.

It will not fail its BSS - it is just illegal to sell it under 5 years old without a BSSC

He is probably worried about getting a fine / prison sentence.

Don't worry about it - make a stupid offer and see if he accepts.

A couple of years ago I bought a boat where both the VAT certificate and the RCD paperwork was 'not available'. I offered £80,000 below the asking price, it was accepted and I bought it.

I was able to get a copy of the RCD paperwork from the manufacturer, and a copy of the VAT certificate by making a 'donation to the coffee fund' of the local customs office.

Nothing happened to me or the seller - we are still at liberty.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Might help the OP more if you expressed that as a percentage of the original purchase price.

£80K = 1/3rd

2 minutes ago, Leemc said:

Sorry I've not been clear enough. It's the boat the other party were buying that has caused the problem. They now don't want to buy it, hence they won't sell theirs to me?

So its out of your control then.

They probably think that they would be breaking the law - but they wouldn't.

It is the seller that is breaking the law, not the buyer.

Or maybe they think that the boat is 'not safe'.

Why would they think that after its survived, 3 years / 4 years ??? its is suddenly going to 'explode' or burst into flames.

There is nowt so queer as folks.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Leemc said:

The boat is under 5 years old and he said to me it would fail its boat safely certificate without an rcd.

Bunkum. I bought a boat less than five years old from the original builder and he hadnt bothered with the RCD. I sold it 4 years ago when it was nine years old still no RCD and the buyer didnt give two hoots and I got same market price as if it had RCD. Its typical scaremongering, I wouldnt be suprised if it was some sort of eu legislation?

2 hours ago, Leemc said:

In which case he is committing a criminal offence selling it.

My bet is he prolly just figured this out and is having purple kittens about selling it at all.

• Greenie 1