12V distribution panel problems

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Here is the odd thing. Probably thousands of older boats have run perfectly satisfactorily with a modest  6 way domestic (house type) fuse box and switches at suitable positions around the boat although I suspect that will not comply with the BSS. However I am sure a simpler and more robust solution to domestic load distribution and circuit protection exists that does comply with the BSS.

Sorry to say this but I have see too many problems with this sort of board and consider it not far short of marketing bull shine to take in the unwary.

I would just ditch the bling luminated switches and replace with some decent rocker switches from a reputable brand eg carling. 

Nothing wrong with the resettable breakers much better than fuses imo

Strip out the neg wiring needed to

make the bling work and happy days 

8 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I would just ditch the bling luminated switches and replace with some decent rocker switches from a reputable brand eg carling. 

Nothing wrong with the resettable breakers much better than fuses imo

Strip out the neg wiring needed to

make the bling work and happy days 

I've not managed to find any carling switches that fit the panel. They all look too wide.

I decided not to use all these blingy panel things on my last fitout. I just have a set of Merlin Gerin/Schneider MCBs as they are approved for DC. Dead simple and utterly reliable.

Use the same for 240v AC with interlock for inverter and shoreline.

Indicator lights seem unnecessary especially as they are all in a cupboard anyway.

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I've not managed to find any carling switches that fit the panel. They all look too wide.

This may sound a bit extreme at first, but you could get a panel made to fit the quality switches. There are a lot of little companies around that do engraving for industrial switch panels and for commercial signs. I've had a couple of aluminium panels made for friends boats to replace old and scratched control panels. They have a brushed aluminium finish, with blue infilled engraved text, including the boat name. Very neat. One day I'll do one for my own boat! I produced drawings for the panel makers, but some could do it from a sketch of the panel with legends and the sizes of cut outs for switches and breakers.

Some piccies of one of them. Much bigger and more complex than you need.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

I think you are right Jen. I was thinking of that. I do know a company that could do it for me - well the panel with cut out holes, not the engraving.

I will take off all the negative wires (or EARTH if Tony is watching) and then think longer term about replacing it all with a custom panel.

I will read the link you've given later today. Thanks.

57 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Indicator lights seem unnecessary especially as they are all in a cupboard anyway.

Fully agree.

Ours arent in a cupboard so have to look less 'industrial' but they dont need lights. I can tell when the water pump is switched off. Mrs Bob shouts!

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I decided not to use all these blingy panel things on my last fitout. I just have a set of Merlin Gerin/Schneider MCBs as they are approved for DC. Dead simple and utterly reliable.

Use the same for 240v AC with interlock for inverter and shoreline.

I was going to do the same, but in the end I went for blade fuses in a proper moulded holder strip.  In 6 years I have only had 2 fuses blow and both times it was me working on a live circuit.  So I don’t find fuses a nuisance.

An advantage of blade fuses when fault finding, is it is easy to pull a fuse and insert a dummy fuse with a wire loop between the pins and measure the current with a clamp meter.  Can’t do that as easily with a breaker.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

An advantage of blade fuses when fault finding, is it is easy to pull a fuse and insert a dummy fuse with a wire loop between the pins and measure the current with a clamp meter. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Specialties-308B-Atc-Fuse-Buddy-Current-Loop/233117960516

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

An advantage of blade fuses when fault finding, is it is easy to pull a fuse and insert a dummy fuse with a wire loop between the pins and measure the current with a clamp meter.  Can’t do that as easily with a breaker.

That's a good tip. Not thought of that one.

45 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

I made mine so it was a lot less than $22 but basically the same.  Works well.

Well yes, that particular one gets doubled in price with the carriage anyway. 

Edited by WotEver