Upware Marina

starman

Featured Posts

Sorry, never had any dealings with them, despite mooring fairly close.  I think twenty pence just do moorings. I don;t think I have ever seen a NB there. Might be worth looking at the Lazy Otter at Stretham.

What sort of works do you want doing? And do you want to do them yourself, or get someone else to do them? 

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry, never had any dealings with them, despite mooring fairly close.  I think twenty pence just do moorings. I don;t think I have ever seen a NB there. Might be worth looking at the Lazy Otter at Stretham.

What sort of works do you want doing? And do you want to do them yourself, or get someone else to do them? 

I’m doing a lot of internal refitting,largely diy. Upware is the closest to home in Suffolk but still an hour’s drive away - I don’t really want to go much further. It’ll cost about £2750 for a years mooring on a 56ft boat which seems a bit high though prices seem all over the place on the Fenland waters 

10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Isleham?  Might be a bit nearer, depending on where you are in Suffolk

Yes there is Riverside Island Marina, but coming up the Lark before you get to Isleham you have to pass Riverveiw Marina and then Fenbank Boats,  price about 2K.

Phil

The prices do vary a lot depending on the nature of the mooring, who runs it (a boatyard with employees or a farmer who has it more as a sideline), whether you have mains electricity or water etc. You'll presumably want power, either mains or a generator? There are quite a few places in the Upware area. I found it useful to explore using Google Earth, and then exploring by car!

8 hours ago, starman said:

I’m doing a lot of internal refitting,largely diy. Upware is the closest to home in Suffolk but still an hour’s drive away - I don’t really want to go much further. It’ll cost about £2750 for a years mooring on a 56ft boat which seems a bit high though prices seem all over the place on the Fenland waters 

I see 2 issues here.  Firstly, you think £2750 is high for a marina, whereas I'd say it's fairly typical. Secondly, many marinas will not be keen to have you doing a refit at their berth.  I say this purely to highlight that you're probably not looking for the average marina. What you need is out there, I'm sure, but perhaps not on your doorstep.

ETA : Have you considered having her lifted out and transported to a hardstanding near your home?

Edited by Sea Dog

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

ETA : Have you considered having her lifted out and transported to a hardstanding near your home?

Ha! That was exactly our plan but it’s been surprisingly difficult. We thought we had somewhere all agreed but then it had to be ruled out because a corner in the access road was too tight for the truck. So if you know a farmer in mid Suffolk ... 

9 minutes ago, starman said:

Ha! That was exactly our plan but it’s been surprisingly difficult. We thought we had somewhere all agreed but then it had to be ruled out because a corner in the access road was too tight for the truck. So if you know a farmer in mid Suffolk ... 

Does the farmer you were going to place it with not know anybody who might take it?    They will know all the local farmers.

13 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Does the farmer you were going to place it with not know anybody who might take it?    They will know all the local farmers.

We’ve tried the farmer network. Seemingly storage land is in short supply round our way - what were empty old concrete pads now have containers, offices, cabins, let alone mountains of straw bales. I think farmers see every corner of their space as a source of income these days. 

4 minutes ago, starman said:

We’ve tried the farmer network. Seemingly storage land is in short supply round our way - what were empty old concrete pads now have containers, offices, cabins, let alone mountains of straw bales. I think farmers see every corner of their space as a source of income these days. 

Would somewhere like Lowestoft be too far away ?

Several marinas that offer 'on the hard' storage facilities.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Would somewhere like Lowestoft be too far away ?

Several marinas that offer 'on the hard' storage facilities.

Thought of that one too!? We have several sea boat marinas and yards near us at Woodbridge and Ipswich but all the plastics are out of the water for the winter so hard standings are full. 

1 hour ago, starman said:

Thought of that one too!? We have several sea boat marinas and yards near us at Woodbridge and Ipswich but all the plastics are out of the water for the winter so hard standings are full. 

Another month and they will be going back in - maybe you'll get a good deal - better 'some money' than an empty yard earning nothing ?

4 hours ago, starman said:

I think farmers see every corner of their space as a source of income these days. 

I don't know your area so can't point you at anyone specific, but the issue above shouldn't be too difficult an obstacle to overcome... and relatively economically when a marina was going to cost £2750.

I've beean reasearching this area for a mooring last week, Upware was by far the cheapest in mooring fees.  I was quoted 2880 for 60ftx12ft so sounds about right.  I got the impression that they are a pretty relaxed place with good security.

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you see the article about a couple who bought an old Narrowboat there and hauled it out to black. the got complaints from the management about the noise of grinding on the hull, they left after a week on the slip.

Yes, I liked the reference to ‘the manager’. A week on the slip? Shottie must have been on holiday - he would have kicked ‘em out in five minutes if the locals were complaining. 

43 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

That was what sprang to mind immediately here, too.  Famously cheap, but you've got to fit in.

Love Bill Fen but it’s a lot further away. The boat’s not livable on ATM and I’m a bit past dossing on the floor in a sleeping bag for any length of time so driving distance from home counts.