Steel or GRP?

talisman

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't that the Irish Game-Show where they stand 3 shovels up against a wall and tell Mick to take his pick ?

No, I was thinking more along the lines of

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=take+your+pick+yes+no+interlude&view=detail&mid=214EA6F88F56D125E374214EA6F88F56D125E374&FORM=VIRE

OMG, that's from 1955!!!

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I remember that !we used to play it at home - O' what fun we had.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yeah but it ran till the late 60’s.

...ah....phew. I wondered when I was watching it. I'm not that decrepit.

.....back to the story.

The Bong was to register my disapproval at the thermoset GRP being described as PLASTIC.

Edited by Dr Bob

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

If mine has some 6mm on it I havent found it yet!! I think the thinnest is 10mm the rest is 15mm plus. The boat was registered in the early 80s so could have built very late 79 to 81 it really is a very solid of plastic

Had a 1975 Norman,and when fitting an aux outboard mount,found the transom was at least half inch.

Was well up to the bangs and knocks it got on narrow locks.   Main drawback was scratching of the gelcoat.

I used to fill and sand quite regularly,but soon just filled the scars,got them as smooth as possible with the spatula,and didn't bother sanding anymore.

It was quite a quick and easy job,done when necessary.

28 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

...ah....phew. I wondered when I was watching it. I'm not that decrepit.

.....back to the story.

The Bong was to register my disapproval at the thermoset GRP being described as PLASTIC.

You shouldn't smoke a bong if you are decrepit, Oh, on second thoughts........

On 15/02/2019 at 18:43, MartynG said:

Yes I know. But we have no desire to do that.

We are going to Wells as the main destination  for our holiday , if all goes to plan.

Lowestoft itself has no particular interest other than to be able to say we have done it.     If we goto Lowestoft  it would  would just be a trip out. Stopping at Lowestoft   for a couple of nights. Might even do it slow or part way slow depending on the sea state and tide times.

Similarly we stop at Grimsby  from Hull because we choose to do so . Not that Grimsby itself is of any interest but we quite like the HCA club, and the Fish N Chip restaurant  on Cleethorpes pier will be due a return visit.

Shopping in Lowestoft, what are you planning, Mc Donalds, KFS British heart foundation, I avoid the place if possible and its my nearest town. O there is an Asda store and Dunelm 

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you happen to go into Gt Yarmouth take some long 'ice' boards with you.

The mooring is on a corrugated wall, with very large corrugations that even 18" fenders 'fall into'

Throw jet skis & speed boats into the mix, add a bit of change in tide height …………………….

One of the worst and most unpleasant moorings I've been on for a long time.

could you not hang your fenders horizontally?

16 minutes ago, rasputin said:

could you not hang your fenders horizontally?

Tried that but the corrugations are very wide and very deep (nothing like standard Armco)

Loose lines to allow for changing heights due to the tide and the boat would move forwards and backwards and one end of the horizontal fender would 'fall in' the gap.

We won't be going again.

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Tried that but the corrugations are very wide and very deep (nothing like standard Armco)

Loose lines to allow for changing heights due to the tide and the boat would move forwards and backwards and one end of the horizontal fender would 'fall in' the gap.

We won't be going again.

Sounds like some of the commercial harbours we occasionally used when sailing. We had "a plank" which was suspended over the vertically hung fenders.

Also run jerry cans part filled with water on the mooring lines to keep them tensioned.

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Sounds like some of the commercial harbours we occasionally used when sailing. We had "a plank" which was suspended over the vertically hung fenders.

I don't remember that. Are you sure I was suspended over the side? I feel certain I would recall.

• 1 month later...