Steel or GRP?

talisman

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Lovely lowestoft. We did the trip from Lowestoft via Walton backwaters, Southend and up to London. Think it was 6 hours sailing to Walton. 

Not particularly 'lovely' as you proceed to the marina (at the far end) past the 'boat scrap yard' where 'uge ship are being cut up and all surrounded by 'oil barrage sausages'

Not bad when you get to the Marina and can take the 'ferry' back up to the sea-side for a bag of chips and sea-air.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Did you get lost en route? :huh:

Not all of us do 25knts and use £100 of diesel.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not particularly 'lovely' as you proceed to the marina (at the far end) past the 'boat scrap yard' where 'uge ship are being cut up and all surrounded by 'oil barrage sausages'

Not bad when you get to the Marina and can take the 'ferry' back up to the sea-side for a bag of chips and sea-air.

We only ever went to the royal Norfolk and Suffolk. 

35 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We only ever went to the royal Norfolk and Suffolk. 

Same here. Although we do have to cruise up through the scrap yards to get to Mutford Lock and onto the Broads.

44 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It's not £100 of diesel from Wells to Lowestoft. 

It didn't cost us that from Boston to Lowestoft last time we went by sea!

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Same here. Although we do have to cruise up through the scrap yards to get to Mutford Lock and onto the Broads.

It's not £100 of diesel from Wells to Lowestoft. 

It didn't cost us that from Boston to Lowestoft last time we went by sea!

Wells Harbour to Lowestoft 61.1 Nm and 9 hrs 40 mins

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does it not work on the move ?

It does but as it is facing backwards I end up head butting the shelf when the boat is on the plane!

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Too bumpy at 25 Kts!

Plus they had to pump the dinghy up to pose for the picture.

Not quite. Nitty Gritty is the same model as Naughty-Cal. That's Nitty Gritty in the picture ;)

• Happy 1

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhh - the trials & tribulations of high speed boating.

I bet you pee standing on your cat!:)

I bet you pee on your cat!

I bet you sit while peeing on your cat.

Where do the punctuation marks go Athy?

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is only 15 miles Lowestoft to Gt Yarmouth Town Quay, in good calm conditions should be no problem for a broads cruiser.

I have done it one and a half times in an old Folkboat, not mine but crewing for a friend who as soon as we left Lowestoft he had his head in a bucket so I did all the sailing. I say one and a half, at the first attempt we only just got past Birds Eye against the flow and went back to try another day.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have done it one and a half times in an old Folkboat, not mine but crewing for a friend who as soon as we left Lowestoft he had his head in a bucket so I did all the sailing. I say one and a half, at the first attempt we only just got past Birds Eye against the flow and went back to try another day.

We used to go backwards leaving Lowestoft to Wells against the tide opposite Scroby sands quite often when the wind had dropped off.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wells Harbour to Lowestoft 61.1 Nm 

Thank you for that information.

I would have estimated that would still be a good 3 hour trip for us , usually cruising about 23knots. ... if the clock starts from the pontoon in Wells Harbour and ends on the visitor berth at the Yacht Club at Lowestoft.  Grimsby to Wells takes us 3 hours door to door and that's about 55Nm. The slow bits at each end consume a fair bit of time.

I would  say Wells to Lowestoft  would allow for a consumption of something like  200  litres of diesel for us  if conditions allow us to go fast .

or

60 litres if we were to  go at 6 knots

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Grimsby to Wells takes us 3 hours door to door and that's about 55Nm

Hull Marina lock to Wells Pontoon = 65.7 Nm with the 'Cat' we used 40 litres exactly (20 litres per engine) 13.3 engine hours. Average 5 knots.

A few minutes after we tied up at Wells, a Cruiser came in who had departed Hull Marina 2.5 hours previously, he estimated he had used over £200 in fuel.

I guess its just a compromise between speed / fuel and time available.

We used to have a cruiser that 'managed' 1.25 miles per gallon at 25 knots, but with diesel at 30p per litre it wasn't such a big issue.

We often had to get a road-tanker down to harbours to fill us up - yacht clubs rarely had 1000 litres to 'spare'.

Our current cruiser has 2800 litre of tankage giving a "safe" range of 2000 + miles.

Cat.png.98f59c0f3458345991f0b0615fd7a7de.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hull Marina lock to Wells Pontoon = 65.7 Nm we used 40 litres exactly (20 litres per engine) 13.3 engine hours. Average 5 knots.

In the cat?

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

In the cat?

Yup - engines all the way heading into a F3-F4 Southerly.

It was also engines all the way back up from Lowestoft going into a F4 Northerly.

Remember the big 1000 metre long pipelines that were washed overboard on their way to Africa ?

We passed some of them still floating and a 'danger to shipping'

IMG_2517.JPG