Keeping a non-shiny look

Theo

Featured Posts

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:15, Theo said:

Just booked the boat in for a paint job.  We are keen to keep the non shiny look.  Advice welcomed.

Nick

Sorry for the obvious question (to me) but can't your painter advise you - surely it must be possible as it can be done with cars (spray painting) where you use a basecoat and clearcoat and simply omit the clear - I'm surprised Mr Moore of this parish hasn't come across it so perhaps it isn't common but when you get there I will be interested to see the answer as we are going to paint Zulu this year and definitely don't want a glossy finish.

Craftmasters (other brands are available) Raddle Red traditionally isn't glossy simply has a nice lustre to it.

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1

On 12/02/2019 at 17:40, cuthound said:

Cancel the booking? ?

Seriously though, can't you add a matting agent to the gloss? That way you should be able to achieve anything from almost gloss to completely Matt depending on the amount of matting agent used.

I'm not sure about that. Perhaps it depends on the gloss you're using? I tried international matting additive last summer on international 10 year gloss and even at a 50% mix it really only took the gloss off a little. The instructions say you can use it in a 75% mix (25% paint) but then it became difficult to apply properly and the finish wasn't good. It's going to be much more effective to buy a good quality matt exterior paint. They're not as common as gloss but I bought some last year ready for Spring. Someone on the forum posted the link but I can't remember where I bought it now. Pretty sure it was marketed as a boat paint. Honestly, I really wouldn't bother with matting agent unless it's just a subtle change that you want.

On 14/02/2019 at 08:39, Sea Dog said:

I see the attraction of a matte roof, but I think don't think there's much wrong with the pukka glossy topcoat paint most professional boat painters would apply by choice, so I'm not sure why "shiney" is so unacceptable in some quarters. Its generally only a temporary state anyway.

Perhaps because shiney paint exposes every flaw in the surface underneath. A good satin or matt paint hides a multitude of sins. Likewise textured deck paints.

Edited by blackrose

17 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure about that. Perhaps it depends on the gloss you're using? I tried international matting additive last summer on international 10 year gloss and even at a 50% mix it really only took the gloss off a little. The instructions say you can use it in a 75% mix (25% paint) but then it became difficult to apply properly and the finish wasn't good. It's going to be much more effective to buy a good quality matt exterior paint. They're not as common as gloss but I bought some last year ready for Spring. Someone on the forum posted the link but I can't remember where I bought it now. Pretty sure it was marketed as a boat paint. Honestly, I really wouldn't bother with matting agent unless it's just a subtle change that you want.

I must admit my only experience with matting agents is with Le Tonkinous varnish, where the amount of matting agent used can achieve anything from satin to completely matt and it doesn't affect the application or finish.

I assumed (always dangerous) that a matting agent added to gloss paint would behave in a similar manner.

57 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I'd love to get hold of some International 10 year gloss but I thought it was no longer available.  Do you have a source or was it from your stocks?

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

There are confusingly two "international" paints, one makes boaty stuff (all sorts of boaty paint) and the other makes stuff wot you get in B&Q. "10 year gloss" sounds like a B&Q DIY type paint. I have also tried International (boaty) matting with a DIY paint and had a similar failure to you. I have used it successfully with (boaty) international paints, Rylards paint, and possibly Craftmaster.

It does weaken the coverage so I reckon should only be used on the final coat

...............Dave

Two 'professional' ways to get a matt finish. Ask the painter to use satin or matt - simples!!!!

The other way is to 'wrap' the section of boat you want covered. Vinyl wrapping is common practice now with cars and lorries. Boats are just taking off....

Warning!  Do not try this yourself!!!!!!

Boat Vinyl Wrap

Edited by Fly Navy