Keeping a non-shiny look

Theo

Featured Posts

On 12/02/2019 at 18:15, Sea Dog said:

Finally there's something that garage floor paint might be good for... and not a peep!  :giggles:

No! I painted the roof of my Springer with garage floor paint, following a recommendation by an "expert". It soon came off in blotches, so I did it again. Same result. Apparently, according to a more expert expert, the ingredients of this paint have changed so that it will no longer stretch and contract as the boat does according to temperature.

Military vehicles have a matt finish which is, I suppose, durable. perhaps an army surplus store could help.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

No! I painted the roof of my Springer with garage floor paint, following a recommendation by an "expert". It soon came off in blotches, so I did it again. Same result. Apparently, according to a more expert expert, the ingredients of this paint have changed so that it will no longer stretch and contract as the boat does according to temperature.

My point exactly Athy!  Garage floor paint seemed to be recommended in every other paint post not long back - at last, thank heavens, it seems to have lost its lustre! ;)

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

My point exactly Athy!  Garage floor paint seemed to be recommended in every other paint post not long back - at last, thank heavens, it seems to have lost its lustre! ;)

Excuse my misinterpretation.

It's something to do with it being oil-based whereas it used not to be, or vice versa. It was a pain in the roof, whichever way round it was.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Excuse my misinterpretation.

It's something to do with it being oil-based whereas it used not to be, or vice versa. It was a pain in the roof, whichever way round it was.

I see the attraction of a matte roof, but I think don't think there's much wrong with the pukka glossy topcoat paint most professional boat painters would apply by choice, so I'm not sure why "shiney" is so unacceptable in some quarters. Its generally only a temporary state anyway.

We always used to use floor paint on the roof, it was fine. 3 years ago we repainted the roof in international floor paint, over raddle. It looked great until i cleaned up lister exhaust lumps with white spirit. ( a practice i have done for 30odd years)

the paint softened and smeared.

i ended up stripping off the whole of the roof with scraper and spirit, before re keying and painting with damboline bilge red.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I see the attraction of a matte roof, but I think don't think there's much wrong with the pukka glossy topcoat paint most professional boat painters would apply by choice, so I'm not sure why "shiney" is so unacceptable in some quarters. Its generally only a temporary state anyway.

As far as roofs go, a gloss one can be dazzling in the sunshine - we found this when we painted the roof of our first boat, Octavia, gloss white. Raddle red for us nowadays.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Why not go fashionable and ask for the "rat" look. Getting strangely popular in the classic car restoration scene!

A neighbour of mine "ratted" one of his VW buses by attacking it with a sander,  allowing any exposed metal to rust a bit, overnight dew did the job and finished off with a matt varnish. Not to my taste but it did look good for the effect he was seeking. 

Phil

I can't claim to know much about the technicalities of painting but here's my one little bit of painting trivia - which the more experienced among us probable already know.

Matt varnish has a slightly different opacity to gloss varnish. This might not seem worth bothering about but if you have to paint more than one coat to protect our lovely paint work then layering matt varnish will very quickly give a rather distorted and dead look. Better to paint with gloss and/or varnish with gloss first and then only give a light top with the matt varnish to finish this will help to preserve the integrity of the colours underneath. 

This might seem obvious to some but when I first heard it it was news to me and I found it quite handy so I'm just passing it on. :)

Edited by Tumshie

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As far as roofs go, a gloss one can be dazzling in the sunshine - we found this when we painted the roof of our first boat, Octavia, gloss white. Raddle red for us nowadays.

Yeah, agree on the roof - mine's "raddle off-white" iirc. Defford no gloss up there for the sake of visibility andhead aches.  The sides though? Is it really that bad to have gloss finish (working boat schemes excepted)?  The "Shiny boaters" many like to have a downer on aren't comprised simply of anyone with gloss paintwork, surely? 

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The "Shiny boaters" many like to have a downer on.

You've raised an interesting point in suggesting that "shiny boat" could be derogatory. I have always thought of it as a term of admiration and respect, indicating that people take a pride in their boat. I would feel it more appropriate to have a "downer on" someone who spends £100,000 on a new boat and can't be bothered to maintain it, so it goes scruffy and rusty. But, their money, their choice.

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah, agree on the roof - mine's "raddle off-white" iirc. Defford no gloss up there for the sake of visibility andhead aches.  The sides though? Is it really that bad to have gloss finish (working boat schemes excepted)?  The "Shiny boaters" many like to have a downer on aren't comprised simply of anyone with gloss paintwork, surely? 

Its not good or bad, its personal choice.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

You've raised an interesting point in suggesting that "shiny boat" could be derogatory. I have always thought of it as a term of admiration and respect, indicating that people take a pride in their boat. I would feel it more appropriate to have a "downer on" someone who spends £100,000 on a new boat and can't be bothered to maintain it, so it goes scruffy and rusty. But, their money, their choice.

Interesting (and very nice!): I'm not sure you're in a majority though. Perhaps it's me - it's not a tag I'd apply - but I've always taken it to be derogatory. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Its not good or bad, its personal choice.

Oh I agree entirely Mike. Perhaps my thinking that those who use the "Shiny boaters" moniker are being disparaging has made me construe the avoidance of shiny paintwork as an effort not to be judged!

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Interesting (and very nice!): I'm not sure you're in a majority though. Perhaps it's me - it's not a tag I'd apply - but I've always taken it to be derogatory. 

It is indeed food for thought. I don't think that people who keep their car nice and clean are often looked down upon, whereas those who allow it to get caked in mud (unless it's a Land Rover, which are SUPPOSED to be caked in mud) or neglect the upkeep of their house tend to be derided as idle sods. I wonder why there should be a difference in attitude.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is indeed food for thought. I don't think that people who keep their car nice and clean are often looked down upon, whereas those who allow it to get caked in mud (unless it's a Land Rover, which are SUPPOSED to be caked in mud) or neglect the upkeep of their house tend to be derided as idle sods. I wonder why there should be a difference in attitude.

We're not idle sods. We just have more interesting things to do (and spend our money on) such as.....................boating!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

We're not idle sods. We just have more interesting things to do (and spend our money on) such as.....................boating!

I did not suggest that I thought you were. But for example, if someone enjoys motoring it doesn't stop him from cleaning his car from time to time.

Using an undercoat as a top coat is not a very good idea. Much better to use a matting agent.

Undercoats are formulated to provide a good key between the top coats and the substrate. They typically have higher pigment levels hence are more porous. Porosity means you would need to first prime and undercoat, then top coat to provide the resistance to moisture etc then apply an undercoat on top. Problem then is that once again these are not formulated for weathering ie the affect of UV light and rain etc. The undercoat would errode much faster than a top coat hence you would see colour and texture changes ie chalking (pigment showing through).

We painted our NB with Dulux water based Weathershield four years ago. Over a few weeks we built up three coats. The gloss version has no real shine to it and seems pretty tough. Being quick drying and easy to apply it is a doddle to touch in. 10,000 colours available. Available in matt too. Perfect for DIY non posh boats IMO.

• Greenie 1

I must admit, I take a pride in my car and my boat and I don't really like either of them to be grubby so I suppose I fall into the "shiny boat brigade". Doesn't bother me one little bit in fact it is quite nice when someone asks where we had the boat painted as they think it is newly done.  The last owner had it repainted and we have had the boat for 4 years now so it was a few years ago since it was done.

Each to his own, I think. It doesn't bother me one bit if a boat is not shiny. 

Haggis

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh I agree entirely Mike. Perhaps my thinking that those who use the "Shiny boaters" moniker are being disparaging has made me construe the avoidance of shiny paintwork as an effort not to be judged!

I've never thought in terms of rogatory or derogatory but a proportion of those I have shared locks with have made me uncomfortable (some to the extent that I have pretended to stop for tea or whatever).

Of those boats, a clear majority have been 'shiny'.

8 hours ago, Athy said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but idle sods like me do consider car-cleaning as one of the most futile pursuits of the consumer class.

Edited by nikvah
spelling - you know what they're like

7 hours ago, nikvah said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but idle sods like me do consider car-cleaning as one of the most futile pursuits of the consumer class.

We'll be able to spot you on the road, then: you'll be the one with the illegible number plate and the rust holes in your cills, peering through the six-inch circular transparent bit of your windscreen.

:D

Edited by Athy