Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have lost track of the topic more than a bit but it its a 24V engine system and 12V domestics then I doubt anything like Col bought would have enough output.

I'd assumed t'other way around Tony, based on his 24v Mastervolt Combi. 

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

See transformers don't work on DC, only in A.C.. 

A 24-12 volt buck boost converter would do the job though.

Thought I said that but getting a buck module big enough to charge a depleted 12v battery may be difficult. He could try that battery equalizer off Col............................

Its all supposition anyway as we still cannot be sure how this boat is wired, it needs a pro in there to sort it.

6 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Having been fascinated by this thread and other recent threads on the same subject it would appear to me that the advantages of 24v are insufficient to persuade me to ever contemplate going down the 24v route.

Phil

I agree Phil.

12V is bad enough when trying to manage charging via 3 sources with a big inverter, no cow thruster and attempting to get more than 2 years out of a cheapo set of lead acids. I see no point wotsover in complicating it further. KISS.

23 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I must get one. Do they moooove the bow well. 

Do you need a BS certificate as well as a BSS ?

Waiting to assist any boat that drifts into the shallows :

DSCF0020.JPG

38 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Having been fascinated by this thread and other recent threads on the same subject it would appear to me that the advantages of 24v are insufficient to persuade me to ever contemplate going down the 24v route.

Phil

As I see it, the only benefit of 24v is the ability to use thinner cable - far outweighed by the scarcity of 24v 'stuff' at canal side chandlers and the hassles shown in the recent threads.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2019 at 23:55, WotEver said:

On a 24V system I’d expect to see in the region of 29V from alternator/solar/shore charger. So at 17V something is very wrong. 

If you don’t start getting some charge into those batteries very soon they’ll be irreparably damaged. 

As the batteries are wired in series then I’m also very confused as to where you’re reading 17V. 

Yes it was the alternator. 

All the diodes had blown and when they were replaced they popped too so a new regulator was fitted and seems ok. It's now pushing out 28v.

So thanks everyone for your much useful info although most of it I didn't understand. 

I did smile reading your comments with the odd frown ofcourse but generally I very much appreciate the tips and advice provided, especially the guy who made the effort to Google Rugby boats and provided information about the boat.

Brilliant. 

So once again thank you very much.

Andrew. 

• Happy 2

44 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I'll pm you the number of my vet, he really knows how to charge.

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgery. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, Cuddles has passed away."

The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?  "Yes, I am sure. The duck is dead," he replied. "How can you be so sure," she protested. "I mean, you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room, and returned a few moments later with a large black Labrador Retriever.  As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head. The vet patted the dog, took it out, and returned a few moments later with a beautiful cat.

The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed delicately at the bird. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room. The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck." Then the vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "£150", she cried, "£150 just to tell me my duck is dead" The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it, the bill would have been £20, but what with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan....