Luxury Holiday Exchange

Deb&Jim

Featured Posts

Hello, Our names are Deb and Jim. I have noted a few comments on this forum about exchange verses rental.  We are experienced home exchangers and because there is no rental involved we are technically friends letting each other use our homes.  We are now looking to exchange our wonderful home in Penang, Malaysia for a canal boat in England or Europe. We are experienced boaties (both ocean going and inland waterways - England and France) who swallowed the anchor some years ago.  We have an amazing home in a 6 star ocean front resort style developement.  We love Penang and know how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful place, but we miss being afloat and would love to spend a month or two on the French or English Canals this summer (June and/or July).  If you have a nice canal boat and like the idea of an upmarket holiday in Asia then we would love to hear from you.  The exchange would not need to simultaneous - so it could used to escape the English/European winter.  If you are interested or have friends with a canal boat that might be, lets exchange pictures.  We look forward to hearing from you.   

22 hours ago, Deb&Jim said:

Hello, Our names are Deb and Jim. I have noted a few comments on this forum about exchange verses rental.  We are experienced home exchangers and because there is no rental involved we are technically friends letting each other use our homes.  We are now looking to exchange our wonderful home in Penang, Malaysia for a canal boat in England or Europe. We are experienced boaties (both ocean going and inland waterways - England and France) who swallowed the anchor some years ago.  We have an amazing home in a 6 star ocean front resort style developement.  We love Penang and know how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful place, but we miss being afloat and would love to spend a month or two on the French or English Canals this summer (June and/or July).  If you have a nice canal boat and like the idea of an upmarket holiday in Asia then we would love to hear from you.  The exchange would not need to simultaneous - so it could used to escape the English/European winter.  If you are interested or have friends with a canal boat that might be, lets exchange pictures.  We look forward to hearing from you.   

Please do not repost in another  subject area after you have had replies to your first post - especially as the reply to your first post may not be what you hoped for.

The section I have highlighted in red is only your opinion so unless you can provide written confirmation for this from all the UK inland marine insurers it is worthless - whatever you may think. That section also fails to address the potential issue with the type of Boat Safety Scheme certificate required to loan boat to oversea's visitors. It is even possible that a more expensive boat license would be required.

I am not saying any of this is the case but it is vital that potential swappers double check with their insurers, the BSS and possibly the Canal and River Trust.

Remember a house is more or less fixed in one place where as a boat can move about. Each year we have boats stolen, most of which are recovered, but some are not so marine insurance company is more likely to restrict who can and who can not use the boat. I had a quote from one well known company that refused to cover for use by the extended family on the policy so swapping with relative strangers for a holiday abroad would almost certainly also not be covered. I also have to ensure anyone I lend my boat to is competent to handle it. That is easy for family or close friends who have been guests on the boat many times and handled t under supervision. Not so easy for someone flying in from the other side of the world.

Sorry

Its a nice idea but could all too easily end in tears for the boat owner.

• Greenie 1

On 12/02/2019 at 12:21, Tony Brooks said:

I had a quote from one well known company that refused to cover for use by the extended family on the policy so swapping with relative strangers for a holiday abroad would almost certainly also not be covered.

On the other hand, Michael Stimpson when he was at Towergate, confirmed that their policy allowed use of the boat by anyone (over 18) who had permission from the owner.

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

On the other hand, Michael Stimpson when he was at Towergate, confirmed that their policy allowed use of the boat by anyone (over 18) who had permission from the owner.

But that is exactly why I tried to advise boaters to check their policy allowed swapping. From my experience some do and some don’t. *f anyone takes the OIP's assurance that their insurance and possibly the BSS covers them for such swapping the we get a Que Sera situation and the insurers walk away the boater ends up losing a very expensive boat - especially as the OP specified a"Luxury holiday" and "nice boat".