Engine mounts

DannyC

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, DannyC said:

SoIust started screwing the bottom nut back up and it started to cause dripping from the propeller! So I reversed it and it is now back in the position it was - this has stopped the dripping. 

Can you suggest what to do next?

The top nut is a Nyloc nut so shouldn't have moved.

The bottom nut is NOT a Nyloc and has probably moved.

It sounds as if something is badly twisted and the bottom nut has been loosened (intentionally) to remove the 'twist' and stop the water flowing in from the stern gland.

Its not an accurate measure but are the threads showing above both sides of the top nut similar, and both sides of the bottom nut similar ?

If there is a large difference (say 4+) threads then you need it looking at by someone who knows what to do.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

So just started screwing the bottom nut back up and it started to cause dripping from the propeller! So I reversed it and it is now back in the position it was - this has stopped the dripping. 

Can you suggest what to do next?

Yes, disconnect the shaft coupling and do/get the shaft alignment done so the nuts are tight and the shaft in line with the gearbox flange. That is unless you have a two flexible element coupling like a LONG Centaflex, Aquadrive, or Pythondrive. but from what you say you either have no flexible coupling or its a single element one. If you have never done shaft alignment I would advise that you get it done by a recommended professional and watch them like a hawk so you can do it yourself next time.

Running the shaft with a dropped engine could easily have  worn the stern gland so it may mean a new gland assembly, if not a new shaft, but get the alignment done then try repacking or adjusting the gland.

3 minutes ago, DannyC said:

Ok. This sounds way beyond my capabilities. 

I am going to get someone to come and take a proper look at it.

Do you think it is safe to run the engine in tickover to charge the batteries in the mean time?

No problem in neutral, even more so if you have disconnected the prop-shaft.

Hey. Just to confirm what you mean by 'above both sides' - like if the nut is positioned at an angle?

Sorry - re-reading it , I knew what I meant but its not obvious.

I mean the equivalent mounting on the other side of the engine (I'm assuming you have 4 mountings - one on each 'corner')

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, DannyC said:

Ok. This sounds way beyond my capabilities. 

I am going to get someone to come and take a proper look at it.

Do you think it is safe to run the engine in tickover to charge the batteries in the mean time?

I'd say so , yes as long as you don't put it in gear.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes, disconnect the shaft coupling and do/get the shaft alignment done so the nuts are tight and the shaft in line with the gearbox flange. That is unless you have a two flexible element coupling like a LONG Centaflex, Aquadrive, or Pythondrive. but from what you say you either have no flexible coupling or its a single element one. If you have never done shaft alignment I would advise that you get it done by a recommended professional and watch them like a hawk so you can do it yourself next time.

Running the shaft with a dropped engine could easily have  worn the stern gland so it may mean a new gland assembly, if not a new shaft, but get the alignment done then try repacking or adjusting the gland.

And once it is all aligned, the engine mounts in good condition and all nuts tight but a dab of paint on each and every nut and bolt, that way you can see which one has moved in the future.

Did you work out if the bolt had come detached from the mounting, you said it felt wobbly