Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Nightwatch

Atherstone top lock mooring.

Featured Posts

As the title may suggest, we arrive today at the top Lock at Atherstone. What's moorings like there. This time of year are we likely to have difficulty finding a spot. We are travelling with another boat that will turn here but will possible hang around for a couple of nights. Looking at Google it seems there's ample room. Just making sure that's all.

 

many thanks Martyn

Title ought to read Top Lock not to lock. If a mod would like to alter it I would be most pleased.

Edited by NB Lola
Title change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be plenty of room, but I heard rumours of occasional vandalism there.

 

I prefer to moor in the long pound above the bottom two locks, however access to the town is worse there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nightwatch said:

As the title may suggest, we arrive today at the top Lock at Atherstone. What's moorings like there. This time of year are we likely to have difficulty finding a spot. We are travelling with another boat that will turn here but will possible hang around for a couple of nights. Looking at Google it seems there's ample room. Just making sure that's all.

 

many thanks Martyn

Long line of good moorings above the top lock. They stretch all the way between the first two bridges above the locks. I can't imagine they will be full in February. I have moored twice on them during the day recently. Moorings five locks down are closer to town and station but are close to road and railway. There isn't that much in the distance from town either. The lower moorings weren't full when I moored there in October half term week last.

 

JP

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Should be plenty of room, but I heard rumours of occasional vandalism there.

 

I prefer to moor in the long pound above the bottom two locks, however access to the town is worse there.

That's a long walk back to town. On the subject of rumours of vandalism that would rule out mooring on the entire BCN. I wouldn't be too concerned with mooring on either of the official moorings at Atherstone and certainly not if I was staying on the boat.

 

JP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Long line of good moorings above the top lock. They stretch all the way between the first two bridges above the locks. I can't imagine they will be full in February. I have moored twice on them during the day recently. Moorings five locks down are closer to town and station but are close to road and railway. There isn't that much in the distance from town either. The lower moorings weren't full when I moored there in October half term week last.

 

JP

That's a long walk back to town. On the subject of rumours of vandalism that would rule out mooring on the entire BCN. I wouldn't be too concerned with mooring on either of the official moorings at Atherstone and certainly not if I was staying on the boat.

 

JP

 

Two years ago we met a boat whose mooring lines had been set alight on the top moorings at Atherstone, whilst they were asleep. That was a first for me, apparently kids were pouring lighter fuel on the mooring lines during the night and revelling in the panic as boaters awoke to the smell of burning, something I have never heard of before.

 

That said we have often moored at Atherstone top over the years, and various parts of the BCN , as indeed much of the system over the last 45 years and the only placees we have had bad experiences were the centre of Birmingham (mooring lines undone) and Lymm where we were awoken by drunken youths banging on the side of the boat at 2:00 a.m. 

 

These days we prefer quieter moorings rather than ones with a lot of football, simply because our dogs growls and barks every time someone walks past. 😁

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cuthound said:

 

These days we prefer quieter moorings rather than ones with a lot of football, simply because our dogs growls and barks every time someone walks past. 😁

 

 

 

Not keen on football myself.  A load of overpaid prima donnas if you ask me! 😀😀

 

George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

As the title may suggest, we arrive today at the top Lock at Atherstone. What's moorings like there. This time of year are we likely to have difficulty finding a spot. We are travelling with another boat that will turn here but will possible hang around for a couple of nights. Looking at Google it seems there's ample room. Just making sure that's all.

 

many thanks Martyn

Title ought to read Top Lock not to lock. If a mod would like to alter it I would be most pleased.

We've stayed twice at the top lock moorings, it's gloomy, but we didn't have any bother. There is a park alongside to exercise the dog.

 

We're going up the locks this week, so depending which way you're going we'll give you a wave. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Not keen on football myself.  A load of overpaid prima donnas if you ask me! 😀😀

 

George

 

You know I changed that from football to footfall just before I sent it. Damn spillchucker 😣

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We've stayed twice at the top lock moorings, it's gloomy, but we didn't have any bother. There is a park alongside to exercise the dog.

 

We're going up the locks this week, so depending which way you're going we'll give you a wave. 

Hi Jennifer. We will be going down, not sure when. Half planning on being here for at least a couple of days. We are heading to Shardlow, but there's stoppages along the way.

Look out for us.

 

Martyn and Margaret.

As a footnote. We visited the Anchor last night. No, repeat, no draught beers. Very disappointed. As an alternative to beer I like a pint of Guinness. Don't sell Guinness. They have a draught stout that answers to the name of Titanic Stout. Not a bad pint but not Guinness.

Food was good, very good.

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hi Jennifer. We will be going down, not sure when. Half planning on being here for at least a couple of days. We are heading to Shardlow, but there's stoppages along the way.

Look out for us.

 

Martyn and Margaret.

As a footnote. We visited the Anchor last night. No, repeat, no draught beers. Very disappointed. As an alternative to beer I like a pint of Guinness. Don't sell Guinness. They have a draught stout that answers to the name of Titanic Stout. Not a bad pint but not Guinness.

Food was good, very good.

 

 

2

We're at Fazeley at the moment, but we're on a mission for a vets appointment on Wednesday. Vets between Locks 5 and 6 where we'll probably moor for a few days depending on what happens at the vets. We'll be on lookout :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, should be loads of room at all three spots. We usually use the ones between 5 and 6 if shopping, otherwise we go on down to the stretch above the bottom two. For some reason, the length from Atherstone top through Hartshill as far as Springwood Haven is prone to scrote infestation, often on mini-motos. Most of the time it’s ok, but we’ve heard of problems at all the moorings including boats having their lines stolen outside the Anchor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

I agree, should be loads of room at all three spots. We usually use the ones between 5 and 6 if shopping, otherwise we go on down to the stretch above the bottom two. For some reason, the length from Atherstone top through Hartshill as far as Springwood Haven is prone to scrote infestation, often on mini-motos. Most of the time it’s ok, but we’ve heard of problems at all the moorings including boats having their lines stolen outside the Anchor.

Springwood despite being a lovely marina borders an area that has social problems. Having said this, I’ve never had a problem on this bit of canal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're at Fazeley at the moment, but we're on a mission for a vets appointment on Wednesday. Vets between Locks 5 and 6 where we'll probably moor for a few days depending on what happens at the vets. We'll be on lookout :) 

 

Hope all is well with Rusty? If a car will make getting Rusty to/from the vets any easier, pm me.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Hope all is well with Rusty? If a car will make getting Rusty to/from the vets any easier, pm me.

That is really kind of you, thank you. Rusty's ok at the moment, but we think there's a possibility he's suffering from EPI, we're hoping the Vet will conduct a blood test for it. Which means we'll probably be floating about while the result comes through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

 

Hope all is well with Rusty? If a car will make getting Rusty to/from the vets any easier, pm me.

 

3 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That is really kind of you, thank you. Rusty's ok at the moment, but we think there's a possibility he's suffering from EPI, we're hoping the Vet will conduct a blood test for it. Which means we'll probably be floating about while the result comes through.

Ah, shucks folks. I'm touched by your concern, but really, i'm ok. I really really don't want a blood test. I've just got a bit of SAD, that's all, but thanks anyway.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

 

Ah, shucks folks. I'm touched by your concern, but really, i'm ok. I really really don't want a blood test. I've just got a bit of SAD, that's all, but thanks anyway.

Please don't be sad, I can't stand it 😥 😥 😥

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's bound to be plenty of room above the locks at his time of year. And ignore the signs on a garden wall at the end of the mooring that says "Workboats only", it was only put there when one householder objected to boats mooring within sight of their upstairs window

Edited by Keeping Up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

 

Ah, shucks folks. I'm touched by your concern, but really, i'm ok. I really really don't want a blood test. I've just got a bit of SAD, that's all, but thanks anyway.

I reckon distemper is what you've got, although I'll grant you it may well be Seasonally Affected Distemper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

it may well be Seasonally Affected Distemper.

Is that when it peels off the wall because it’s been applied in cold, damp conditions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Is that when it peels off the wall because it’s been applied in cold, damp conditions?

So are we saying someone has been applying rusty? I'm confused and is it even legal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

So are we saying someone has been applying rusty? I'm confused and is it even legal?

I apply rusty nail twice yearly , whether I am due a wash or not.

rusty-nail-soap.jpg

  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I apply rusty nail twice yearly , whether I am due a wash or not.

Ye gods, I did some silly things in my youth (ie before I was 60), but I never put soap in a rusty nail! 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I apply rusty nail twice yearly , whether I am due a wash or not.

rusty-nail-soap.jpg

 

Seems like a waste of good whisky to put it in soap. 😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.