Cleaning The Waterline

Featured Posts

There is brown scummy staining around the waterline on my boat.Dipping a brush in the canal and giving it a good rub seems to get rid of it,but when it dries,the staining is back. Have tried clean water and Flash,but the result is the same.

I could rig up a pressure washer,but am afraid that it would remove the blacking. (It's not due re-blacking for another year) I am assuming that the staining is caused by peat in the water (I am moored in the Pennine area) and would be grateful for any suggestions for any product that will clean the waterline without damaging the blacking.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey, you must be getting through your "things to do on the boat" pretty gosh-darn quickly to get that far down the priorities list Harold!  I like polished brasswork and I still agree with Richard above - just wait 'til @mrsmelly replies!! :help:

Sod the bloomin blacking and paint he bloomin brasswork innitt!!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey, you must be getting through your "things to do on the boat" pretty gosh-darn quickly to get that far down the priorities list Harold!  I like polished brasswork and I still agree with Richard above - just wait 'til @mrsmelly replies!! :help:

There's always stuff to do on a boat as we all know. It's just that the BSC is due for renewal,and although a boat's physical appearance is not part of the inspection,I don't want a professional engineer inspecting my boat and thinking "what a scruffy boat"

I am sure most of us have "a quick tidy up" when we have visitors.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

There's always stuff to do on a boat as we all know. It's just that the BSC is due for renewal,and although a boat's physical appearance is not part of the inspection,I don't want a professional engineer inspecting my boat and thinking "what a scruffy boat"

I am sure most of us have "a quick tidy up" when we have visitors.

Ah, I agree that sentiment, but I've just not taken it quite so far. That said, whilst I've not had a BSS inspector taking a such a close up look at my own waterline, I think there are some other boaters here who've been tempted to make that happen! ;)

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah, I agree that sentiment, but I've just not taken it quite so far. That said, whilst I've not had a BSS inspector taking a such a close up look at my own waterline, I think there are some other boaters here who've been tempted to make that happen! ;)

Nah. Just getting you through that top lock on the Ashton was challenging enough.  You were going the full Fawlty Towers with those Willow branches. :D

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've got my BSS next week and I've been spending lots of time cleaning the boat out and making it look presentable. TBH it has been way overdue so was a good opportunity to give it a good clean out, it's amazing how many things you find that have been lost for a long while.

Can't believe it's the same boat !

2 minutes ago, Bloomsberry said:

I've got my BSS next week and I've been spending lots of time cleaning the boat out and making it look presentable. TBH it has been way overdue so was a good opportunity to give it a good clean out, it's amazing how many things you find that have been lost for a long while.

Can't believe it's the same boat !

Absolutely. Its the reason warships do Captain's Rounds.  There can be much work involved, but if you pick an inspector you won't be tempted to throw in... you won't need the additional work of scrubbing your waterline! :D

4 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Yeah, wax makes sense, makes the  hull more slippery through the water too I guess , can't see anybody waxing a NB hull.

Phil

It's antifouled beneath the waterline. We do try and keep that as smooth as possible though.

36 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's antifouled beneath the waterline. We do try and keep that as smooth as possible though.

Given the type of boat you have and the fact you do lumpy boating as well as ditches I would have been surprised if NC wasn't antifouled.

Phil