12v or 240v television?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tasemu said:

Does this look like a decent tv to get? Do you guys see any glaring issues? I think it may come with a regulator in the cigar charger.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/TVs-Televisions/24-Cello-12-volt-C24230F/B00MR2FR3Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549706692&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+television

Swapped to a cello 12v from a 240v TV last year, big saving in battery usage. 

More than happy with the Cello although a small number of issues 

1 - Need to get your settings right, has a number of settings for low power usage up to higher power usage these do affect the quality of the picture but it's just a question of what you are willing to live with. 

2 - Getting a good colour balance takes a little time to get right particularly when using the low power usage setting. 

3 - Sound quality no brilliant although generally adequate within a boat. For the odd occasion when better quality sound is required I run it through a small JAM Bluetooth speaker. 

Overall though very happy with it, certainly happy to recommend it. 

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Sooooooo much more to watch that pat butcher and ricky peoples......

OI! Leave it ouut. 

On 09/02/2019 at 14:09, reg said:

Swapped to a cello 12v from a 240v TV last year, big saving in battery usage. 

More than happy with the Cello although a small number of issues 

1 - Need to get your settings right, has a number of settings for low power usage up to higher power usage these do affect the quality of the picture but it's just a question of what you are willing to live with. 

2 - Getting a good colour balance takes a little time to get right particularly when using the low power usage setting. 

3 - Sound quality no brilliant although generally adequate within a boat. For the odd occasion when better quality sound is required I run it through a small JAM Bluetooth speaker. 

Overall though very happy with it, certainly happy to recommend it. 

OI! Leave it ouut. 

I got there chargeable 34" maybe 32" but yes only needs to charge up while traveling for 2hrs on 240v or can be charged 12v but gives up to 8-14 hrs of viewing before it needs recharging or pugging in. Great TV but yes have to adjust quality which uses a bit more of the energy.

On 09/02/2019 at 12:25, rusty69 said:

You forgot

Game of thrones

Breaking bad

Vikings

The Wire

Band of brothers.

I have never watched even one second of those nor indeed the much publicised silly little yellow man that the Yanks produce.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

2 inverters makes loads of sense. We have a 150w for small loads plugged into a good 12v supply ,and 2kw in the engine room for powertools,  as near to batteries as feasible. We do not have a mains ring though.

And how are they connected, both 12 and 230 volts ?

10 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

2 inverters makes loads of sense. We have a 150w for small loads plugged into a good 12v supply ,and 2kw in the engine room for powertools,  as near to batteries as feasible. We do not have a mains ring though.

I'm interested as to why you think 'it makes sense'

The efficiencies of a small inverter are unlikely to be any better than a large inverter, and the quiescent current of a cheap-small inverter is likely to be actually much higher than a large 'quality' one.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's a good reason, but, wouldn't it 'make sense' and be more flexible to run a mains lead/plug from the 'big inverter' ?

Firstly I don’t leave it on overnight, and secondly i’d Fall over the cable, and thirdly the engine hole isn’t insulated so we shut the door between the cabin and engine hole,  which would squash the cable , and we only have a small battery bank.... but you are quite right, it would make sense, it’s a much better inverter.

what would make more sense would be  to get round to insulate the engine room, ( that involves fixing the doors) run a mains ring, that involves drilling the riveted bulkhead, bump up the battery capacity, ( make new battery boxes) removing the panelling to wire and trunk the cables,  ( the ejit who built the current cabin used industrial strength no more nails so I’d have to repanel the whole cabin,)  fit a landline system, and earth bond,  rebuild the pidgeon box so I can get power in.... while I’m at it change the fire to a refleks , plumb in a calorifier instead of the 12v water heater, sort out the shower, and move the kitchen. By the way we have shower , kitchen,  dining room, music room lounge ,and bedroom in a 12 ft extension cabin, with 4 foot of that under deck.

That being work in process,  I simply put in a decent 12v supply....I’m only charging laptops , and devices that can’t get charged by usb...

it would seriously be easier just to buy a new boat but they stopped making them .

6 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Firstly I don’t leave it on overnight, and secondly i’d Fall over the cable, and thirdly the engine hole isn’t insulated so we shut the door between the cabin and engine hole,  which would squash the cable , and we only have a small battery bank.... but you are quite right, it would make sense, it’s a much better inverter.

I wasn't suggesting just running an 'extension lead' but rather running a 'permanent' (?) cable under the Gunwhale to a single / double socket somewhere handy.

I'm not understanding why that would involve increasing the size of the battery bank as using the more efficient 'large' inverter means you would actually use / lose less 12v.

If you are not going to be where 230v is available, why bother putting in a land line system, as you will then need to also install systems to disconnect the inverter before connecting the Land line.

Just put it 'ON THE TO DO LIST'

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Never watched any of those. I did read all of the Game of Thrones books though. 

I couldn't get into the books at all ( which is suprising for me as I go through lots of reading stuff ), so never bothered with the series.

Breaking Bad however is a very addictive piece of TV

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wasn't suggesting just running an 'extension lead' but rather running a 'permanent' (?) cable under the Gunwhale to a single / double socket somewhere handy.

I'm not understanding why that would involve increasing the size of the battery bank as using the more efficient 'large' inverter means you would actually use / lose less 12v.

If you are not going to be where 230v is available, why bother putting in a land line system, as you will then need to also install systems to disconnect the inverter before connecting the Land line.

Just put it 'ON THE TO DO LIST'

it’s not  looking imminent !!

the to do list never reduces...

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm interested as to why you think 'it makes sense'

The efficiencies of a small inverter are unlikely to be any better than a large inverter, and the quiescent current of a cheap-small inverter is likely to be actually much higher than a large 'quality' one.

Depends on the inverter.  My old 3kW inverter used to draw about 4A with no load, so we had a 150W cheapo that drew about 0.8A that was on all the time to power small appliances.

The new 3kW inverter draws about 1A quiescent so that's good enough for me, and that stays on all the time.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

I couldn't get into the books at all ( which is suprising for me as I go through lots of reading stuff ), so never bothered with the series.

Breaking Bad however is a very addictive piece of TV

Read most of them and up to date on the series but I agree,  it's marmite TV, BSP doesn't like it at all.

Breaking Bad is oddly compulsive,  have you seen better call saul?

Edited by tree monkey

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Read most of them and up to date on the series but I agree,  it's marmite TV, BSP doesn't like it at all.

Breaking Bad is oddly compulsive,  have you seen better call saul?

Yes, cleverly done to tie up with the BB story. Narcos was good and just finished You.  What's next (I refuse to do Call the Midwife..)

)

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Depends on the inverter.  My old 3kW inverter used to draw about 4A with no load, so we had a 150W cheapo that drew about 0.8A that was on all the time to power small appliances.

The new 3kW inverter draws about 1A quiescent so that's good enough for me, and that stays on all the time.

This is the main point with verters. I had for a short time a Sterling that I inherited with my last boat. It took about fourteen billion amps just on standby, a truly awful combi. My present boat has a 1500 watt combi, silent in operation that is never switched off and only draws 0.3 of an amp when not powering anything but wakes up immediately on demand. Even with the 24 inch mains telly switched on there is only a draw of 2.6 amps which is not much more than a 12 volt telly. All the benefits of mains equipment and vast choice and humungously cheaper to buy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/02/2019 at 11:17, rusty69 said:

I have no experience of them, but the avtex tvs are supposed to be good if you must have 12v. Expensive though. 

I have a small Avtex which was purchased  new about 10 years ago for a small boat. Back then their seemed less choice and the Avtex met our need sperfectly , including its own rechargeable battery pack. was good technology , but of course  things change. I would say Avtex remains a quality brand but the alternatives at half the price are probably sufficient for most people.

That reminds me  I need to attend to the TV antenna on the boat  .Always jobs to do 

On 09/02/2019 at 11:50, catweasel said:

Our telly came from Aldi and is  excellent for the price. It can be used on either 12v or 240v but we use it on 12v. We added a cheapo soundbar which improved sound dramatically. Full time liveaboard, we have no shore power as such, but use a genny for charging on winter nights, mainly solar/engine in summer when out and about (health permitting!)
I have tried to move away from 240V stuff on the basis that when (not if) our inverter implodes, we are stuffed if all appliances are 240V. (This happened to a guy on our marina on Christmas eve!) We still have a 240V fridge/freezer and washer, but the fridge might well go to 12V when current one expires. Depends on deals available when the time comes.
There is no "one size fits all" with these things, so many variables in lifestyle etc.

Which soundbar do you have, is it 12v?