Talk to me about compost toilets

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Same as me in a composting bin?

And how often do you have to buy a new bin because the last one is full and hasn't fully composted?

Then if you haven't a garden to spread it on what to do with the composted muck?

Suppose you could sell it !

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

And how often do you have to buy a new bin because the last one is full and hasn't fully composted?

then if you haven't a garden what to do with the composted muck?

Suppose you could sell it !

For goodness sake Julian, the bin is big I produce 20 litres of compost every 3 months it will take forever to fill, because it comes out at the bottom ready to use put in the garden compost, which myself and others on my mooring use! We all throw in peelings etc to make it work I really cant see what the problem is for you?

I still wonder what one would do when  you go off boating for a few weeks holiday.

Mind you I suppose you would be able to walk back with it to empty into the bin as I hear you can only travel a couple of hours a day with your electric setup. ;)

Edited by Loddon
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I still wonder what one would do when  you go off boating for a few weeks holiday.

Mind you I suppose you would be able to walk back with it to empty into the bin as I hear you can only travel a couple of hours a day with your electric setup. ;)

I do but as a retired person I can do two hours every day going one way for 3 months and then come back doing the same, and the beauty is I will only have 40 litres of compost in my two toilet bins. And as I a huge engine compartment which will be warmed by the electric motor it will have started composting by the time I get back perfik ?

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

I do but as a retired person I can do two hours every day going one way for 3 months and then come back doing the same, and the beauty is I will only have 40 litres of compost in my two toilet bins. And as I a huge engine compartment which will be warmed by the electric motor it will have started composting by the time I get back perfik ?

Not sure I would call 40 litres of rotted poo beautiful, but each to there own I guess ??

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Now, what about the hippopotamus in the room?

You have to separate the wee from the poo? Hmmmm! Does this require retraining? I mean it's difficult enough to aim into a big bowl and now you want to limit my target to a few square inches?

I think its more of a seated affair for us gents in order to make sure we hit the target....

You'd think with years of hand eye co-ordination practice we would all be great at darts ?

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

You have to separate the wee from the poo? Hmmmm! Does this require retraining? I mean it's difficult enough to aim into a big bowl and now you want to limit my target to a few square inches?

I'm in the process of having a composting toilet fitted (along with an engine room, a bathroom and with moving the Beta 43). I promise to give truthful reports of my experience with the toilet, as sanitised or as graphic as you wish. They tell me that all will be ready in a fortnight, so prepare yourselves!

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Sit Boy!!

2 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

I think its more of a seated affair for us gents in order to make sure we hit the target....

You'd think with years of hand eye co-ordination practice we would all be great at darts ?

That is fine and dandy for the ladies but us blokes get prostate enlargement with age. That means that to achieve an empty bladder for health reasons it is necessary to pee stood up.

Not for me the composting pot.

I'd fix the sea toilet, its a proper bog not a plastic po.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I'm in the process of having a composting toilet fitted (along with an engine room, a bathroom and with moving the Beta 43). I promise to give truthful reports of my experience with the toilet, as sanitised or as graphic as you wish. They tell me that all will be ready in a fortnight, so prepare yourselves!

Blimey Frank, that's pretty drastic action to take just to fit a composting bog ?

So your boat will now have the engine in the proper place at last?

I think some things are best left to the imagination.

Are you telling me men "have" to wee standing up for health  reasons? Does that also explain why they have to leave the seat up?

Can't they be trained to rinse out the bowl after..............

the "other"

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think some things are best left to the imagination.

Are you telling me men "have" to wee standing up for health  reasons? Does that also explain why they have to leave the seat up?

Can't they be trained to rinse out the bowl after..............

the "other"

Anything men do that women object to can be justified  by ‘health reasons’ ?

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

That is fine and dandy for the ladies but us blokes get prostate enlargement with age. That means that to achieve an empty bladder for health reasons it is necessary to pee stood up.

https://prostate.net/articles/why-men-should-sit-when-they-pee

You appear to have it exactly the wrong way round.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

to be fair, reading the posts about this on Faceache its down to the two owners divorcing, nothing else

But but but isnt everything that goes wrong to do with Brexit? Their divorce is down to Brexit surely?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Blimey Frank, that's pretty drastic action to take just to fit a composting bog ?

So your boat will now have the engine in the proper place at last?

Yes, but after the last few years I would have considered more drastic if I had to. ?

To make the space for the moved engine, the bath has been replaced by a shower and an engine room created from part of the bathroom. The macerator holding tank had to go (to fit in the moved drive layout) so I had to change from pump-out. I picked a Nature's Head over a cassette but it remains to be seen if this was a wise decision. Of course I have the enormous front locker which will take three kitchen swing bins, this will hopefully help with composting (I do not plan to throw solids away).

I haven't seen any of this yet but am told it all is going well.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1