Talk to me about compost toilets

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

HI,

We have a sea toilet (on the great ouse- legal) but it blocks up and is a pain. The drop for our cassette is a long walk and so I am looking for another option. 

Does anyone have opinions on compost (experience opinions). How long until fill up, how clean is it to empty, where do you empty yours? I hope we can get a bin put in here but if our marina kicks off what are my other options?

Any make suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a separate villa, 7 years now, my compost goes in a compost bin on the bank, and the wee gets poured on waste ground near me [some on the garden as well] I would not go back to other toilets as they are to much hassle. Depending on whether its just me or my partner as well its up to 3 months between empties. Happy composting

Best advice, don't bother. I have read quite a bit about these things. Basically they are similar to a thunderbox over a hole in the ground. If the hole is big enough then the contents will rot down okay. A compost (note the name) loo on a boat is not big enough to just use and leave. Eventually (quickly on a boat) it will fill up and the contents have to be disposed of or stored until they have become inert. You also have to get rid of the pee somewhere as well. You cannot pee into the poo so that has to to be done into a seperate part of the loo. A massive massive pain in the backside. The "conservationists" will say otherwise and this post, most likely, will bring them all out of the woodwork. I am told also that the contents, when they have eventually composted, cannot be used on land to grow stuff anyway so what is the point of all the hassle,  ( I don't know if this part is true or not.) get a decent porta loo. Still a load of hassle on a boat but much less so than a composting loo. 

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Hannah Jones McVey said:

HI,

We have a sea toilet (on the great ouse- legal) but it blocks up and is a pain. The drop for our cassette is a long walk and so I am looking for another option. 

Does anyone have opinions on compost (experience opinions). How long until fill up, how clean is it to empty, where do you empty yours? I hope we can get a bin put in here but if our marina kicks off what are my other options?

Any make suggestions?

Thanks!

Go onto any of the Boat sales web sites. Start with a big one like for instance Whilton. Read the sales bumf on all the boats and especialy what type of toilet is fitted. Then ask yourself why the numbers are what they are.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, pete.i said:

Best advice, don't bother. I have read quite a bit about these things. Basically they are similar to a thunderbox over a hole in the ground. If the hole is big enough then the contents will rot down okay. A compost (note the name) loo on a boat is not big enough to just use and leave. Eventually (quickly on a boat) it will fill up and the contents have to be disposed of or stored until they have become inert. You also have to get rid of the pee somewhere as well. You cannot pee into the poo so that has to to be done into a seperate part of the loo. A massive massive pain in the backside. The "conservationists" will say otherwise and this post, most likely, will bring them all out of the woodwork. I am told also that the contents, when they have eventually composted, cannot be used on land to grow stuff anyway so what is the point of all the hassle,  ( I don't know if this part is true or not.) get a decent porta loo. Still a load of hassle on a boat but much less so than a composting loo. 

Blah blah Never used one never seen one but know all about them, I have been using the compost for years and it works fine but that doesnt suit your purpose. As for peeing in the poo you can the toilet is called a sun mar I think one of the old members had one, he left because of posters like yourself, no knowledge but an opinion that the product cant work.

• Greenie 1

I would ask the marina first if they don't mind you storing a bin of poo on shore. The other option is to get a big boat and store lots of plastic bins onboard. 

Disclaimer. I have no experience of composting bogs, just an opinion. (a bit like the Brexit thread ) 

How about installing a holding tank for the sea toilet if you have room. 

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Sea toilet that blocks? There must be a good reason, mine never blocks. Would have nothing else.

We have a sea toilet on a sailing boat. It never blocks either, but I've  heard others say the pipes are susceptible to crudding up. 

(oh, sorry, you have me on block i presume) 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2

I did try getting a composting toilet to work on a boat and had plenty of problems. Got rid of it and the boat now has a cassette bog. They can work well on land, but need plenty of volume for storing while it does its composting thing. Hence @peterboat's experience with his land based one. I would select one for an off grid house with no hesitation. Once they are shrunk small enough to fit on a boat, then you run in to the filling up and needing extra space to store, or just chucking the partially digested stuff down the nearest elsan issues that are seen.

Jen

My neighbour has the Natures Head composting toilet and he likes it, so since they didn't have a retail outlet anywhere about a year ago I bought the Air Head composting toilet on the basis that if I didn't like it I could return it for a full refund.

I received it, unpacked it, had a look, repacked it and sent it back. The build quality was too poor for me to want to install it in my bathroom. I decided to stick with my Vacuflush cassette so replaced both cassettes and gave it a full service. It works fine now.

There is no perfect toilet for boats and like everything else it's all a compromise. You just have to go with what you're happy with.

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

...chucking the partially digested stuff down the nearest elsan issues that are seen.

Jen

Please don't!  Double bag the solids (preferably mark the bag as such) and put in the bin - that's CRT's advice.  Elsan disposal will block the elsan.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/game-of-thrones-boat-toilet-waste-disposal

BWML Marinas do not allow boats that have Composting toilets.

Apparently (just what I have read) the waste should not be put into a standard bin as it does not meet current 'Waste Transfer Regulations' it would require being declared to the bin collecting company and a dedicated bin and extra fees paid.

I believe this is at odds with what C&RT say.

Have a read of this thread which was as a result of a letter sent to all moorers :

33 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How about putting wheels on your cassette, or, moving the boat nearer the Elsan ?

I'd be looking at getting a fold up four wheel trolley with decent size wheels if the distance to the elsan disposal was long. Especially on muddy towpaths in winter. Perhaps something like this. The current Thetford range all seem to come with a pair of wheels, but not convinced they would cope with mud.

Jen

22 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I'd be looking at getting a fold up four wheel trolley with decent size wheels if the distance to the elsan disposal was long. Especially on muddy towpaths in winter. Perhaps something like this. The current Thetford range all seem to come with a pair of wheels, but not convinced they would cope with mud.

Jen

Agreed - but Hannah did say she was in a marina.