In need for help

remon

Featured Posts

I agree with a lot of members on here and I have to admit i have no clue of what i am doing that is why i turned here to get advice and help, I had a mate who was half with me on this boat since June last year who is a car mechanic and when we had the boat out of the water 3 months ago he assure me that I dont need to worry about the engine as he will sort it but now he pulled out and left me alone to deal with it, if it was up to me in the first place I would of just fix the engine that was in there but itis too late now engine out and stripped gearbox no good so I was told by boat club members to go for another engine with a gearbox fitted ready to drop in.

We have no idea of the possible budget for this job but looking at the early pictures of the bilge of the boat I would hazard a guess at extremely little.

I certainly would not work in there.

As nice as a recon Sabb would be I think it is out of all possibility that he can go down that route especially as he keeps buying unusable scrap. The last one looked a bit better.

Any idea how the cooling is on this boat? Bet its raw water. Did see a gearbox oil cooler which must of connected to something once upon a time.

1 minute ago, remon said:

...but now he pulled out and left me alone to deal with it

That casts a little more light on your plight!

Are you into this boat for a lot of money?  If not, it may seem like a good idea to cut your losses.  If you have already spent a lot, it's called "sunk costs" and that really ought not to influence your future decision either because, however much you've spent so far, what you've already spent does not help with or reduce the angst and bills ahead. Think hard on whether you'd be better putting this one down to experience, particularly as your circumstances have changed by losing your mechanic.  You'll get good advice here if you continue, I'm sure, but perhaps you could better use the help and advice here to source a boat better suited to your abilities next time? Just food for thought - I hope you get sorted. :)

I really hate pouring cold water on someone's enthusiasm,but,thinking practically,you have taken on a humongous amount of work and expense.

Having once bought a boat needing "very little work" (Ha bloody Ha),I wouldn't do it again.It ended up costing much more than many boats that are ready to go,plus loads of work and hassle of sourcing parts.

It may hurt,but I advise putting the whole lot on fleabay as a project,and buy a little cruiser that is ready to go. It will probably be cheaper in the long run,and save you perhaps years of grief.

48 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

So would I,  or a little 2 pot Bukh,  and a lot of others would agree but the OP can't even find a BMC 1.5D!

His chance of a Bukh or Sabb is even less

There are a couple Bukh yacht engines on fleabay....very nice.

there are loads of running engines that can be seen running on fleabay that all around few £££ if your budget is under this even for the engine you have no chance I'm afraid even with all the will in the world.