Thinking of a narrowboat

RedsfanUk

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am in the process of selling my house,and in need of a change,possibly a narrowboat as an option. From an early age I have been on many boat holidays (Lancaster canal,Norfolk broads etc) and loved them...I have been watching many youtubers,reading up on narrowboat life(Lancaster canal) and its something I think could be right for me.

I was wondering if I can get some advice please from you seasoned boaters. 

Would a budget of 45-55k be good enough for a live aboard? 

I plan to get a leisure mooring(already enquired) ,and I have a place to stay(address for mail etc) for when I need to get off the boat,so I don't need a residential mooring. I plan to keep the boat at the marina during the week and cruise at weekends only.

A typical day during the week I will leave for work (have car)at 7am and not return till 6.30-7pm. Is that feasible for narrowboat life? 

Any advice at all would be great. 

All sounds fine to me. Dont take much notice of you tube they are mainly noobys themselves. Money is fine and will get you a sensible boat. Only problem will be battery charging when not in the marina or on leccy hook up as engine running on CART waters between 8 and 8 is not allowed unless you are moored on your own away from others that is.

• Happy 1

That budget sounds perfectly realistic. Keeping those hours, you wouldn't have time to run the engine/a generator every day to charge your batteries (has to be between 8am and 8pm), so I guess you'd want to choose a mooring with shoreline power; but as long as you took the opportunity at weekends to do your other 'housekeeping' (filling up water tank, emptying toilet), I don't see any other obvious problems. 

And you'd be based on the Lancaster? Should make for some easy and pleasant cruising I guess, being lock-free.

• Happy 1