Sheffield & Tinsley Canal Bicentenary.

Featured Posts

2019 is the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. There is to be a birthday event on Friday 22nd February, two weeks time, at Victoria Quays, the basin in Sheffield. This will include a flotilla of mostly local boats arriving as a sort of recreation of the first boats arriving at the original opening. More details here.

Jen

My boat will be amongst them.

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

2019 is the 200th anniversary of the opening of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. There is to be a birthday event on Friday 22nd February, two weeks time, at Victoria Quays, the basin in Sheffield. This will include a flotilla of mostly local boats arriving as a sort of recreation of the first boats arriving at the original opening. More details here.

Jen

My boat will be amongst them.

Will see you there then

• 3 weeks later...

The bicentennial celebration went very well. Some good organising by CaRT staff and local volunteers. Helped along by the weather, which was extraordinary for February. The sort of day you would be happy with mid summer. Lots of people at the Basin and lining the canal. Never seen it so packed. The Dorothy Pax was doing excellent business, renamed for the day as the Tontine, after the pub where the 1819 post opening p1ss up social took place. The flotilla cruise was rather slow, needing two hours to traverse the three miles of the summit pound. To be expected with so many boats having to reverse and get in line. The lead boat was local work boat Naburn, renamed Industry for the day, after the first boat in the 1819 flotilla. We were near the back. Looking forward to the tricentennial!

Jen

Some piccies.

DSCN1696.JPG.cc8d9f460010968c99d1681b21d09a21.JPG

Naburn Industry, with brass band playing.

DSCN1699.JPG.735e6ca1c48d99b08d17f7c8f684c8d5.JPG

Waiting our turn to follow. Bunting in place.

DSCN1706.JPG.53117e0190cb3880e21cf170ee09cb74.JPG

In Attercliffe cutting, heading very slowly to Victoria Quays.

DSCN1708.JPG.6b893f53137b6fc21b13ecf6176e6c4d.JPG

Crowds at the swing bridge across the basin. Trying to steer directly in to the sun.DSCN1712.JPG.417a39a613dd2d308ae079a27f7d09ff.JPG

More crowds

It was a good day, I really enjoyed seeing the basin so alive, and as you say the weather was the making of the day. I have an interest in the Pax in that I have spent many hours working on the place with other friends of Richard, and to see the place full to capacity makes those hours worth while. I saw you come in and go back out! i didnt realise you had moored up otherwise I would have introduced myself.

I hope to be at other events later in the year with my boat so fingers crossed we might meet then

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It was a good day, I really enjoyed seeing the basin so alive, and as you say the weather was the making of the day. I have an interest in the Pax in that I have spent many hours working on the place with other friends of Richard, and to see the place full to capacity makes those hours worth while. I saw you come in and go back out! i didnt realise you had moored up otherwise I would have introduced myself.

I hope to be at other events later in the year with my boat so fingers crossed we might meet then

Yes, I moored up on the normal visitor moorings. Met up with a lot of other local boaters. Hopefully we will bump in to each other at some point.

• 6 months later...

There is a second event to celebrate the canals 200th anniversary year. Saturday 21st September. Wonder if the weather will be as warm and sunny as it was in February?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/events/2019-09-21-sheffield-waterfront-festival-2019

Jen

On 09/09/2019 at 20:36, Fitter kieron said:

Thanks for the link. Plan is to be there or as near as possible in boat for this. 

You have moorings booked on the visitor moorings, you should of received confirmation by email. A point to other boats that plan to visit, the moorings are booking up fast even with local boats, so please be aware that if you see an empty mooring it may not be available, as many of you know the moorings are limited, so you may be asked to double moor for the day.

17 hours ago, PD1964 said:

You have moorings booked on the visitor moorings, you should of received confirmation by email. A point to other boats that plan to visit, the moorings are booking up fast even with local boats, so please be aware that if you see an empty mooring it may not be available, as many of you know the moorings are limited, so you may be asked to double moor for the day.

Thanks yes. Have received confirmation. Really looking forward to this event.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just returned from my trip to Sheffield, had a great time and wanted to thank PD1964 for making us welcome, organising our moorings, moving boats around so Mike was able to moor his boat next to an electric point and sorting him out with a card out of hours. All much appreciated by all of us. Weather on the Saturday was fantastic. The whole thing was really well organised and made a memorable few days.