Washing machine drainage issue

Poppin

Featured Posts

I recently posted about getting a proper washing machine on board. Well I went for the Hotpoint top loader that cruising the cut recently got! 

I have my new washing machine up and running. Plumbed it into both hot and cold feeds via a simple mixer valve. Works well, except for proper drainage! 

Basically when I run a wash it reaches the end of the program and does a spin. This finishes but instead of ending it starts another spin, and another and another... Until I reset the machine. 

Now, I am fairly certain this is because the machine senses a tiny bit of water left that it can't drain out, despite the drum itself being empty. I think this because the machine will end a spin cycle no problem as long as I empty the remaining water from the filter hatch. But once it has run a wash cycle again and taken water in, it goes back to repeating spins forever trying to get the last of the water out. 

I think this is because of the drainage hose, but I am not very experienced with washing machines. The hull outlet hole I am using is at the right height, approximately 80 cm above floor. I am sharing this outlet hole with the kitchen sink, using a Y hose splittler and an in-line non return piece for the washing machine waste. But currently the drain hose comes out of the bottom of the machine and stays low, doing several ups and downs before eventually leaving the boat at its highest point. From what I've now read, you are supposed to immediately have the hose raise to a high point behind the machine, and then slightly drop to the outlet. Would this solve my issue? I'm guessing I have a bit of water constantly falling back down into the machine. Why wouldn't machines be fitted with non return as standard anyway?! 

Any experience or advice MOST welcome! 

As above absolutely , a NRV isn't fitted as standard because Hotpoint expect the machine to follow the normal household installation practice, as with all things boaty a bit of thinking outside the box is required.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Your non return valve will be too much resistance for the evacuation pump.

Those non-return valves can be a pain. If for example it gets a bit of cotton or general "gunge" they can jam. They are only to stop discharge sink water entering the machine and if installed in a thought out location that is unlikely to occur. Remove it if possible or better still have a dedicated discharge overboard outlet.