Hyundai portable generator lube oil

DaveR

Featured Posts

Good day,

Reading the instruction manual for the generator has me confused and an internet search has not cleared things up. I need some guidance please.

The manual states to use a high "detergent" oil. OK, High detergent to me means that there are additives in the oil to keep any debris/particles in suspension in the oil so that the filter can clear them out. Only the generator doesn't have a filter in the oil system. So to me I should use a low/nil detergent oil to allow any debris to fall to the bottom of the crank case and be removed at the oil change.

The manual at one point states to use 10W-30 for 0 degrees to +30, then in later pages gives 10W-40 for -5 degrees to + 20 degrees and 15W-40 for +20 degrees.

My question is, what grade of oil should I be using for routine operation in our unpredictable summers?

Should it be fully synthetic or a semi-synthetic or pure mineral oil?

If my statement above, about the function of the "detergent" in oil is correct how do I choose an oil which is low or non-detergent?

Thanks

Dave R

Grade first: 10W/30 is best, unless the genny is in a locker where it will get hot.  If so use 15W/40.  It might be harder starting in the cold in that case.

Detergency: 

If hyundai say high detergent then that is the way to go.  They made and warrantthe engine after all.  Ideally look in the blurb or ask their customer services peeps for the best API specification for the oil.  I would expect something like API SF. 

If you want to run on low detergent oil look for an API Spec on the tin of API CC or API SD.  They will probably be hard to find in a 10W or 15W oil.

Alternatively ring Morris's tech folks in Shrewsbury and ask their reccommendation.

A mineral oil will be fine.  No need for anything even partly synthetic , or Hyundai would have required it.

N

I use castrol GTX (15/40 IIRC) in our Hyundai which is just coming up to 400 hrs. I think GTX is classed as part synth. I did the initial run in on Commer (Comma?) xFlow mineral oil. Always seems fine on GTX, and never burns a drop between the 100hr change intervals.

Edited by Guest

Further to previous post:
Just looked in the paperwork that came with the genny, (mine is HY2000si) 

It says: "Use 4 stroke engine oil certified to SG, SF or SAE rating. DO NOT use 2 stroke or non-detergent oil."
I can find no reference to whether semi or fully synth is OK.

Looking at the graph both 15-30 and 15-40 appear to meet the temps. we are likely to encounter in the UK.

I recently got the valve clearance settings from Hyundai which are (HY2000si) 0.10mm inlet, and 0.15 mm exhaust.  Hyundai say this is a "dealer job" but when I pointed out that there were no dealers near me, they agreed to honour the (long) warranty if I did them.

Useful youtube vid about servicing the Hyundai range