Suitable for the canal?

Mud_pirate

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am looking at buying this Mayland hull for renovation and was hoping to moor it somewhere along the River Chelmer. Whilst I have renovated and used similar boats in the past I have only used them for inshore sea angling and have no experience of use on fresh water river/canal systems. would this type of hull be suitable for this use? We are just looking for something we can use for relaxing days on the river, not travelling particularly far from our mooring or overnight stays.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be ok, but like I say I have no experience of canal/river boats and what makes a good one!

I look forward to your replies, 

boat1.jpg.45e43018c618563280779c0782c856c3.jpgb9at.jpg.d9407f0ef79ff6b64b69f1fed61cf324.jpgboat.jpg.bd8efed03ebd234f1dc4f07dd99fdd2c.jpg

Can't see why it could not be used  on a canal.

Whether it would be a good  canal boat is another matter.

It doesn't look like it would be fast on the sea which is probably a good start.

Some sea boats don't  steer in a straight line well when going very slow , as would be required on a canal. But I suspect similar hulls to that may well be used on inland waters .

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you looked into getting a mooring on the Chelmar, its not the same as the main canal system

not as yet, in truth we are in two minds whether to seek out a mooring on the Chelmer or somewhere in Suffolk close to where we have our caravan.

The draught (water and air) doesn't look as if it could be a problem, and so long as its beam is 7'0" or less (again, looks OK) that little boat should fit anywhere on the inland waterways. Of course you're asking about the River Chelmer which I don't know, but I can't think of any reason to worry there, unless it floods or dries out and you're not suitably moored at the time.

There is no reason in practice that boat cant be used on the inland waterways.

Just bear in mind that inland boating is a far more leisurely pass time then what you might be used too and the distances travelled are far shorter.

You might benefit from having the option for short overnight stays which that boat won't really offer in any great comfort.

If you remove most of the cabin bulkhead then it becomes 'an open boat' and you don't even need to go down the route of getting a Boat safety Certificate as it becomes exempt.

Having a 'cabin roof' but no bulkheads/doors has previously been accepted as 'open to the elements'.

People new to boating and some existing boaters, fresh to inland waters where the BSS certification is required, often have questions about the concept of the Boat Safety Scheme. Below are the answers to some of the more common questions.

Is it a legal requirement?

Owners of boats in scope of the Scheme are required by their navigation authorities to have a valid Boat Safety Scheme Certification as demonstration that they met the minimum safety requirements before they can cruise on most of the UK’s inland waterways.

My boat is very small and has an outboard motor, do I need BSS Certification?

On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine.

11 hours ago, Mud_pirate said:

Hello,

I am looking at buying this Mayland hull for renovation and was hoping to moor it somewhere along the River Chelmer. Whilst I have renovated and used similar boats in the past I have only used them for inshore sea angling and have no experience of use on fresh water river/canal systems. would this type of hull be suitable for this use? We are just looking for something we can use for relaxing days on the river, not travelling particularly far from our mooring or overnight stays.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be ok, but like I say I have no experience of canal/river boats and what makes a good one!

I look forward to your replies, 

Details of River Chelmer moorings:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/essex_waterways/boating/boating

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you remove most of the cabin bulkhead then it becomes 'an open boat' and you don't even need to go down the route of getting a Boat safety Certificate as it becomes exempt.

Having a 'cabin roof' but no bulkheads/doors has previously been accepted as 'open to the elements'.

People new to boating and some existing boaters, fresh to inland waters where the BSS certification is required, often have questions about the concept of the Boat Safety Scheme. Below are the answers to some of the more common questions.

Is it a legal requirement?

Owners of boats in scope of the Scheme are required by their navigation authorities to have a valid Boat Safety Scheme Certification as demonstration that they met the minimum safety requirements before they can cruise on most of the UK’s inland waterways.

My boat is very small and has an outboard motor, do I need BSS Certification?

On most waterways, a BSS Examination is not required in respect of any privately owned, open vessel (i.e. a vessel in which all the accommodation is completely open to the elements) if it has no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed and it is propelled solely by an outboard engine.

That's handy to know thank you! whether my misses will let me get away with removing the bulk head is another story! unless I could make some sort of canvas panel to enclose the cabin when needed.

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just bear in mind that inland boating is a far more leisurely pass time then what you might be used too and the distances travelled are far shorter.

that's exactly why we have decided top put it on the river, I've reached the grand old age of 32 and would like to slow our pace of life down a little, now if someone could make my kids understand that it would fantastic ?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Mud_pirate said:

Thank you for the informative replies guys, I'm going to look at the boat at the weekend and will make my decision on whether to go for it or not. If I do you can expect many more "can I" "should I" "OOOP's I shouldn't have done that" posts from me.

Please before you buy a boat make sure you can put it where you want it, if you cant get on the Chelmar have you got a back up

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Please before you buy a boat make sure you can put it where you want it, if you cant get on the Chelmar have you got a back up

Yes, there are plenty of moorings available around where I have my caravan In Suffolk and failing that as someone else stated with it being on a trailer I can still launch from slipways to get some use out of it until a suitable mooring becomes available.

2 minutes ago, Mud_pirate said:

Yes, there are plenty of moorings available around where I have my caravan In Suffolk and failing that as someone else stated with it being on a trailer I can still launch from slipways to get some use out of it until a suitable mooring becomes available.

Good luck with it, complying with a BSS shouldn't be a problem with the amount of work you are going to do.

The only "Be Aware" that I'd bring up is the transom looks low.

Which means if you plonk an outboard on which is anything but a short leg, then you may find it catches on the bottom of any canal.  Especially so when mooring up.

Keep a lot of shearing pins to hand!

45 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The only "Be Aware" that I'd bring up is the transom looks low.

Which means if you plonk an outboard on which is anything but a short leg, then you may find it catches on the bottom of any canal.  Especially so when mooring up.

Keep a lot of shearing pins to hand!

Agree entirely.  When you get an outboard,buy one with  "shallow water drive". On this type,the outboard "hangs loose"and will ride up when it rubs the bottom or hits an obstacle and when reverse is engaged, a pin automatically  locks it down. The more common type of outboard is locked down and usually has a lever on the mounting to unlock it for lifting up. Grounding/going over a shopping trolley,can result in damage to the prop or transom with this type of outboard.  (Guess how I know this!)

I had a similar boat on the cut as a kid. Hours of fun. I wish you good luck with it and am quite envious ;)

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It will only need a tiny outboard to get that going on a canal. Our little 2.3hp Honda would shift that along nicely.

Yes. We used to move a similar boat no probs. with an ancient British Anzani outboard, probably about 2 or 3hp. 

2 hours ago, catweasel said:

I had a similar boat on the cut as a kid. Hours of fun. I wish you good luck with it and am quite envious

Thank you, I am looking forward to getting stuck in to it I must admit!

2 hours ago, catweasel said:

Yes. We used to move a similar boat no probs. with an ancient British Anzani outboard, probably about 2 or 3hp. 

I am rather fond of the old seagulls, maybe my 40 plus could get a promotion from auxiliary to the big show!

7 minutes ago, Mud_pirate said:

Thank you, I am looking forward to getting stuck in to it I must admit!

I am rather fond of the old seagulls, maybe my 40 plus could get a promotion from auxiliary to the big show!

Yes, yes, yes

I have (several) 'gulls in my stable - not the most attractive, or green, but their 'weed cutter' props don't destroy anything when you hit an obstacle.

Perhaps the more / most important things are:-

Low cost on ebay

Spares available here -

ttp://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/ 

and engines - but at a price 'cos they've been tarted up...