Three unlimited data, minutes & texts £20

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

Well we finally succumbed and took out the unlimited '3' contract for £24 squid a month as we are usually well over 100Gb per month. Ditching the BT sim which gave me 80Gb but keeping for now the EE sim (60Gb/month). Set up the '3' sim in the marina (north of Braunston) at it works great......and its unlimited.

Today though we started our summer cruise .........and a mile from Napton, no '3' signal. Never happened to us with EE. Switched over to sim 2 on the router (the EE one) and wall to wall wifi. Defo now keep the EE sim as a backup when I cant get '3'. Cant complain though for £24.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Well we finally succumbed and took out the unlimited '3' contract for £24 squid a month as we are usually well over 100Gb per month. Ditching the BT sim which gave me 80Gb but keeping for now the EE sim (60Gb/month). Set up the '3' sim in the marina (north of Braunston) at it works great......and its unlimited.

Today though we started our summer cruise .........and a mile from Napton, no '3' signal. Never happened to us with EE. Switched over to sim 2 on the router (the EE one) and wall to wall wifi. Defo now keep the EE sim as a backup when I cant get '3'. Cant complain though for £24.

Who's a muppet then. As you were!

It wasnt a lack of signal. I had set the data limit too low .......I set it to alarm me if I got over 500Gb..... but I havent got that many fingers and toes (including the duck)...... so the router turned the sim off. Back on now and all fine but the signal strength is -69db which is a bit down on the EE signal.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

When you say a mile from Napton, in which direction?  Around bridge 103 the signal is poor, I have to put my phone on my he cratch board, rather than in the window, to get a signal, but when it do it works fine (we will be there or round about tomorrow night).

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

When you say a mile from Napton, in which direction?  Around bridge 103 the signal is poor, I have to put my phone on my he cratch board, rather than in the window, to get a signal, but when it do it works fine (we will be there or round about tomorrow night).

On the vm's 200 yards west of Br 108.......but as I said in previous post......it was me being a muppet rather than any technology limitation of the three data transimitters.

Which way are you heading - I'll give you a wave? We will head into Wigrams for a pump out and diesel then head off towards Warwick calling at the boat, the two boats and maybe more. Got to get to Saltisford for the weekend.

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

On the vm's 200 yards west of Br 108.......but as I said in previous post......it was me being a muppet rather than any technology limitation of the three data transimitters.

Which way are you heading - I'll give you a wave? We will head into Wigrams for a pump out and diesel then head off towards Warwick calling at the boat, the two boats and maybe more. Got to get to Saltisford for the weekend.

We are heading to Lapworth for next weekend, at Norton Junction at the moment.  Will also be stopping in Long Itchington.

46 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just another one on the Three thing, you may well fine poor service when you are moored for the Boat above Stockton.  These are some of the worst areas for Three that I have found anywhere, honest!

Signed up for 3 unlimited for £22 for use at the new house. My only complaint is it is a bit slow compared to copper wires ;)

Screenshot_20190505_183917_com.staircase3.opensignal.jpg

Edited by Loddon

Can I just clarify that you guys are using the Three Unlimited data sim for phones, but are putting them in your MiFi routers?

EE have just put my £30 a month homefi data sim up by CPI, so I’m planning to cancel the deal, (when they may offer a £20 deal), and get the Three Sim.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

Can I just clarify that you guys are using the Three Unlimited data sim for phones, but are putting them in your MiFi routers?

EE have just put my £30 a month homefi data sim up by CPI, so I’m planning to cancel the deal, (when they may offer a £20 deal), and get the Three Sim.

Mine is in a mifi supplied by 3 as part of the contract.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

I was originally dubious about the 311 but its proved to be better than expected

6 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Correction... it’s Three who have increased my Homefi price from £30. 

52 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes. I signed up for data sim only, £20 a month, 12 month contract, done in store. Also bought a mifi thing outright for £30 inv vat. 

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I thought I'd buy a EE router pack at £40 pcm

I would alway buy the wifi unit and the data sim separately. My little mobile wifi unit is a good few years old now and is still working brilliantly and I've had several different data packages that I've used with it, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I'd bought the wifi device form the an EE shop, or the shop of any other carrier. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

We are heading to Lapworth for next weekend, at Norton Junction at the moment.  Will also be stopping in Long Itchington.

Shout as you go past. We are only doing 3 hrs a day.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

My '3' sim is in a router along with my EE sim. The '3' sim is a no brainer if you have a good signal. I'll find out in the next month just how good coverage it has. Mrs Bob and the duck wont survive without the internet.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pretty sure the mifi i bought in the Three shop is unlocked. Wouldnt have bought it from them otherwise

All 3 mifi are unlocked.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pretty sure the mifi i bought in the Three shop is unlocked.

Might be the case but not all are so you do have to be carful. 

Just as a side I bought my iPhone from Stormfront because we have one more local than the nearest Apple shop and my phone remains unlocked regardless of what sim I put in it which would always be the case if bought from a carrier company. 

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

my phone remains unlocked regardless of what sim I put in it which would always be the case if bought from a carrier company.

However, once the phone is paid for through the contract the carrier will unlock the phone for free (or give you a code to do it yourself). It only has to remain locked while it’s still being paid for (in other words when you’re still in contract). 

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Signed up for 3 unlimited for £22 for use at the new house. My only complaint is it is a bit slow compared to copper wires ;)

Screenshot_20190505_183917_com.staircase3.opensignal.jpg

Not bad here right now:

58FAF37A-3528-4D40-8AA3-4069BB66BAC8.png.95298bcf7c8131a98f55c8c33b4e5a46.png

Although the fibre is better:

E7E21A31-516D-4520-96CF-E11697D7FBF5.png.4318e6b8072380fc58c7e61013f14ad8.png

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

My '3' sim is in a router along with my EE sim. The '3' sim is a no brainer if you have a good signal. I'll find out in the next month just how good coverage it has. Mrs Bob and the duck wont survive without the internet.

That's why I recommended it to the forum.  EE coverage is slightly better on the canals than Three is, but if you can get a Three signal you will not get a better deal from EE - I looked quite hard before doing for this one.

FWIW ( @Athy For what it's worth) I don't use a fancy router with twin external antennae - I stick my phone in the window that gives the best signal, and so far so good.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

However, once the phone is paid for through the contract the carrier will unlock the phone for free (or give you a code to do it yourself). It only has to remain locked while it’s still being paid for (in other words when you’re still in contract). 

Oh now that makes sense.

? Or at least it did until I went for a quick look it see what the going rate was for an iPhone equivalent to mine on a contract and I'm rather glad I was able to buy my phone and my contract separately. But I do understand that this is not an option for everybody.