Three unlimited data, minutes & texts £20

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

And that's the deal I will have in the new house (finally no landline) once we leave the boat where it is at the moment.

That's the plan I was looking at recently, so we could also dump the land line - but the mobile reception here is absolute cr@p. So then I start looking at mobile signal boosters, aerials etc. After I'd got to about £400 I decided maybe I should just keep the landline!!!

4 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

That's the plan I was looking at recently, so we could also dump the land line - but the mobile reception here is absolute cr@p. So then I start looking at mobile signal boosters, aerials etc. After I'd got to about £400 I decided maybe I should just keep the landline!!!

Luckily there are 4 bars of 4g inside the house down in Devon, if not I would have gone for Talktalk at £20 for fibre which is what I have in the present house.

Must say I have long dreamed of a "landline" on the boat so this business with the unlimited minutes and data sounds good to me. Ideally I'll be seen pacing up and down with a nice old skool dial phone hooked up to the router.

I wasn't quite clear about this - so you use an adapter to go from the normal bt (larger) phone plug to the smaller squarer one that goes into the router? And as I have a router with nothing other than two external aerial connections, I'd need to upgrade my router. So the 4g aerial connected to the router will help with the call reception??? I am with three. Though, I have found the phone reception hopeless for months now (Devizes and east of) and am on the point of trying another network. (I have two three sims, one for the data/router and one for the mobile phone, I like it that way).

Certainly, things are looking better and better for the boater, where coms are concerned.

23 hours ago, Johny London said:

Must say I have long dreamed of a "landline" on the boat so this business with the unlimited minutes and data sounds good to me. Ideally I'll be seen pacing up and down with a nice old skool dial phone hooked up to the router.

I wasn't quite clear about this - so you use an adapter to go from the normal bt (larger) phone plug to the smaller squarer one that goes into the router? And as I have a router with nothing other than two external aerial connections, I'd need to upgrade my router. So the 4g aerial connected to the router will help with the call reception??? I am with three. Though, I have found the phone reception hopeless for months now (Devizes and east of) and am on the point of trying another network. (I have two three sims, one for the data/router and one for the mobile phone, I like it that way).

Certainly, things are looking better and better for the boater, where coms are concerned.

I think you may have some wires crossed. The three package is for a mobile connection, like a mobile phone using a SIM card, a mobile router also uses a SIM card (same one) and sits on the shelf sending out a WiFi wireless connection for your computers and other devices to connect to, it has no connection to a telephone line and connects to the outside world exactly as a mobile phone does, with no wires using radio waves, (It does need a power supply, although some have batteries inside as well) Because the radio signal inside a house or boat is not as strong as the signal outside, many devices have sockets allowing you to plug an external aerial in to, like your telly uses an aerial, they need special aerials outside.

On 06/02/2019 at 12:10, sbainbridge said:

Yes

Works perfectly.

If you get a Huawei 4G router NOT supplied by Three you can connect a domestic phone using a BT to RJ11 adaptor and make use of the unlimited calls, texts can be made and received via the routers set up webpage. I use the Huawei B525.

Three knobble the Huawei B311 router they supply with the Homefi package so that you cannot connect a homephone to it.

According to the above ?

Edited by Johny London

5 minutes ago, pig said:

If you Google the Huawei B525 images, you'll see it indeed has a telephone socket; sbainbridge is correct.

And it works well with a domestic corded phone. I have yet to try a DECT phone on it but I would guess it would work.  The disadvantages - dialing out takes a little longer, probably about 10 - 15 seconds before connecting. This is I believe the router switching to "voice" mode. Texts are received using the Huawei router web setup page so you have to log into this to see your texts (no notifications). Otherwise everything is the same as having a mobile phone with the added benefit that in poor reception areas you do not have to go outside the boat and wander round the towpath to make a phone call.

What's the power consumption like with the larger routers? I mean ones with lan sockets and external power supplies as opposed to the portable type with built in battery ie osprey mini / zte etc?

I feel I can afford to leave my little zte router on all the time, for convenience - and also in case later I have remote monitoring systems.

Would a router with a socket marked lan/wlan work or is that different again?

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2019 at 12:16, Dawnrazor said:

Three are now doing a £22 a month deal with the Huawei B311 and Unlimited Data. Including GoBinge

http://store.three.co.uk/view/basket/MBBD30012018T134033

On 14/03/2019 at 12:34, WotEver said:

Yeah, that’s the deal I took out last month. 

Hi WotEver

How have you found the router and Three’s coverage? Have you needed an external aerial and is it reliable and quick enough to watch catch up tv on?

thanks Mike

Edited by MHS

11 hours ago, MHS said:

Hi WotEver

How have you found the router and Three’s coverage? Have you needed an external aerial and is it reliable and quick enough to watch catch up tv on?

thanks Mike

Mine is in a fixed location (on a farm in rural Warwickshire) and it has great reception and to date 100% reliability. I can’t speak for Three’s coverage nationwide although my phone is also with Three and I’ve yet to be anywhere where I can’t get at least 3G. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Mine is in a fixed location (on a farm in rural Warwickshire) and it has great reception and to date 100% reliability. I can’t speak for Three’s coverage nationwide although my phone is also with Three and I’ve yet to be anywhere where I can’t get at least 3G. 

As I am sure you know, Three is at least 3G or nothing.  We find that often when there is no reception on Three there is on EE, but EE is only GPRS, as that can fallback where Three can not.

14 minutes ago, john6767 said:

As I am sure you know, Three is at least 3G or nothing. 

Actually no, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the edumacation :)

I’ve yet to have nothing although I’m sure there must be places where that would be the case. 

Just now, WotEver said:

Actually no, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the edumacation :)

I’ve yet to have nothing although I’m sure there must be places where that would be the case. 

Three was formed when 3G came out, hence the name!  They  presumably do not have a licence for any of the previous technologies as they did not exist when those were bid for.  I have no complaints with them though, £20 a month for unlimited everything seems better than any of the other networks and is certainly good enough for me. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I think we will go for it as have been looking recently. Are you needing to use an external aerial?

• 2 weeks later...

Just been into the three shop and upgraded - or rather got the new deal and cancelled the old. I did have 40gb for £17 so now will have unlimited for £20. But I clawed £4 back on my phone sim - was £13 now £9 for unlimited minutes (and 4gb).

I cant wait to try the phone into the router trick... did we establish whether it then benefits from the external aerial? I do hope so as I had rotten phone reception with three coming west but now with a big mimo(?) aerial on a pole the broadband always cuts through.

Presumably any router with phone socket will work (other than the already stated three one that specifically doesn't). Previously I had my eye on one of these..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-MR6400-4G-LTE-Router-Wireless-or-Wired/293060245268?hash=item443bc07714:g:1DwAAOSwRW9cvfPe

or these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-LINK-DWR-921-4G-3G-LTE-Sim-Slot-Unlocked-WiFi-Mobile-Broadband-Router-4-Port/391054824279?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dce280c1ed6e6404a8b60e1e1282e9946%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D293060245268%26itm%3D391054824279&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I'd prefer to avoid anything Huwaei, what with all the stories about them.

But will those great big routers sit on the windowsill?

I need a router and maybe a tablet and maybe a phone, but do I need a smartphone, can I  just carry the router and telephone around with me [I think people would think I was mad]  .

What would the phone number be?

Will the tablet answer the phone?

I have a button phone on payg with EE

Are there any "independent" shops. reliable ones, not hole in the corner.

Edited by LadyG

No phone line connected in the house here in Devon so have unlimited from 3 with router £22

Speed is just over 40mb at present I have seen 60mb, better than copper in Northants!

Wifi from the 311 router is better than than the super router in Northants and covers the whole house with no repeaters ;)

Whats not to like

I have my all you can eat sim in an old Sony m4 aqua that sits in the cockpit. 

Now I'm in a marina with free WiFi I was tempted to ditch 3 but I'm currently getting 21. 7Mb/s on the hot-spot and 3.4Mb/s on the marina WiFi. 

I am told by my sons that cancellation is not an option. 

3 minutes ago, carlt said:

I am told by my sons that cancellation is not an option. 

So you must have fancy mobile?

I've got one in a box somewhere, but they need to be tended to every day. I don't want that

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

So you must have fancy mobile?

I've got one in a box somewhere, but they need to be tended to every day. I don't want that

Depends what you mean by "fancy". 

The m4 aqua can be had for about £25 refurbished. It isn't a great phone but it is 4g and does the job. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by "tended to" as mine has sat on charge with the hot-spot switched on "untended" for over 2 months now. 

Should I be watering it or something? 

• Happy 1

54 minutes ago, carlt said:

Depends what you mean by "fancy". 

The m4 aqua can be had for about £25 refurbished. It isn't a great phone but it is 4g and does the job. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by "tended to" as mine has sat on charge with the hot-spot switched on "untended" for over 2 months now. 

Should I be watering it or something? 

You just leave it plugged in to the wall?

I have nine months of a data only sim contract remaining. Gives me 40 gb. Through a mobile dongle. Been into a shop and also called customer services. I want to go unlimited and cancel existing contract. The shop said they can't help, best call Three Customer services. I did, and the chap from another country on a script said he can help. To cancel would cost me the remaining monthly payments, then take out a new contract. I insisted I didn't want to pay the remaining costs. He went away, not sure where to, but came back and offered me £30 off the settlement of the old contract. He wouldn't budge. Silly really. Been with three for years. Not a very happy chappie. Phone sim out of contract tries to wangle something there but nope.