Three unlimited data, minutes & texts £20

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

On 06/02/2019 at 12:10, sbainbridge said:

Yes

Works perfectly.

If you get a Huawei 4G router NOT supplied by Three you can connect a domestic phone using a BT to RJ11 adaptor and make use of the unlimited calls, texts can be made and received via the routers set up webpage. I use the Huawei B525.

Three knobble the Huawei B311 router they supply with the Homefi package so that you cannot connect a homephone to it.

This sounds interesting.Would one of those cordless domestic phones work? 

My thinking is, if the router was in a fixed position in the boat, connected to an external aerial, then connected to a cordless phone.

Though not sure my teltonika router has the required socked anyway. 

I spose the external aerial would only bring the 4g signal into the boat and not the phone signal though. 

Edited by rusty69

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

This sounds interesting.Would one of those cordless domestic phones work? 

My thinking is, if the router was in a fixed position in the boat, connected to an external aerial, then connected to a cordless phone.

Though not sure my teltonika router has the required socked anyway. 

I spose the external aerial would only bring the 4g signal into the boat and not the phone signal though. 

Not sure, I use a corded phone.

The only way I guess is to try it, Cheap cordless phone and RJ11 to BT adaptor should be achievable for less than £20.

It may be a Three only thing as I believe that they use the 4G signal for voice as well as data.

We obviously need a telecommunications expert to give us chapter and verse.

I only found out because the original three router supplied with their original homefi plan said voice calls could not be made through the RJ11 socket, which made me think it had been disabled by Three and that if I purchased a non Three router and a cheap phone it may well work. It did!!!!

• Happy 1

On 06/02/2019 at 15:27, Dr Bob said:

Thanks for that.

I have an ordinary BT optical landline line, a BT home hub and a telephone, but it costs about £55 pcm including a few outgoing calls. I think I might be missing out if these deals are to be believed. More likely I have misunderstood something, as no one would take a landline service if the same thing is available via the mobile service at half the price.

But of course I don't want to lose my BT landline number.

I use a laptop to access the net, and have reasonable EE service. Should I ditch the landline, do I lose my number, and is this the only drawback.

PS I [obviously] have a corded phone,  I think it connects to the mains electric via a black box  type plug, 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Should I ditch the landline, do I lose my number, and is this the only drawback

You'll have to when you move onto your boat, unless you plan to tow a long extension cable. 

ETA. Check 3 coverage in your area before jumping ship. 

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Mrs Bob could knit you a pair of socks for your router if you need them.

I only need one. 

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You'll have to when you move onto your boat, unless you plan to tow a long extension cable. 

Yes Rusty, but when I tried to explain this to the BT call centre when I signed up to the BT Optical service, he promised to give me a new landline when I got my boat, I did wonder just how long the extension wire would have to be before I got "drop out",  it's so last Century using "cables"

PS I despair of ever selling my flat, as far as  I can see they are just not selling, the first [of two ex agents]  says he cannot understand why flats in this locale are just not selling. I think there are three sitting empty at this moment because they are not selling, and the agents charge for marketing them.

I have a few signs up, but that is all I am doing for the next six weeks. 

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes Rusty, but when I tried to explain this to the BT call centre when I signed up to the BT Optical service, he promised to give me a new landline when I got my boat, I did wonder just how long the extension wire would have to be before I got "drop out",  it's so last Century using "cables"

The router connected phone above sounds like a good alternative to a landline and broadband package if you are prepared to loose your BT number and there is decent signal coverage where you live. 

I think a fixed landline is becoming less popular, particularly with the younger generation. 

I suspect your BT will have better more stable download speeds  than 3, but saving  £35 per month has got to be worth further investigation.

Dr Bob will be awake soon, he's very sensible...... He'll advise you. 

ETA Or just tether a smartphone to the laptop. You will then have minutes and data whilst out and about without the need for a separate sim card. 

Edited by rusty69

39 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The router connected phone above sounds like a good alternative to a landline and broadband package if you are prepared to loose your BT number and there is decent signal coverage where you live. 

I think a fixed landline is becoming less popular, particularly with the younger generation. 

I agree. It will be cheaper to have an EE (or 3 sim) in a mifi so you can ditch the BT line. Not sure however how many devices can connect to a cheapo mifi unit. Our router on the boat handles loads of things connected to it and 4 adults and 2 kids all connected didnt seem to phase it.

We do not have a fixed phone in the house.....but we do have a BT contract for Broadband/BT TV so do have a number/line.

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Dr Bob will be awake soon, he's very sensible...... He'll advise you.

You do realise that I am a muppet?

• Love 1

It's possible to keep your landline number without having a landline. I have a 0117 number and two 0800 numbers permanently directed to my mobile. I don't have a landline. I pay less than £10/month which includes some incoming calls. (I'm not sure how many but I think it might be 500 mins.) The service is provided by eReceptioinst (Numberstore). 

• Greenie 1

Ordinary analogue voice land lines are due to be switched off by BT/Openreach in 2025. By then everyone will have to be using a mobile phone or a VoIP phone. A VoIP phone will use whatever broadband internet connection that is available to you so could be a router with a sim card.  By 2025 BT would like everyone to have (and pay for) a fibre connection to their homes / businesses. Obviously doesn't applyy to boats! Presumably mobile voice calls will still work as now.

Changes are afoot!

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

Ordinary analogue voice land lines are due to be switched off by BT/Openreach in 2025. By then everyone will have to be using a mobile phone or a VoIP phone. A VoIP phone will use whatever broadband internet connection that is available to you so could be a router with a sim card.  By 2025 BT would like everyone to have (and pay for) a fibre connection to their homes / businesses. Obviously doesn't applyy to boats! Presumably mobile voice calls will still work as now.

Changes are afoot!

I'm sure all the people who have an emergency call button connected to their landline , but no broadband will be pleased about that.

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I'm sure all the people who have an emergency call button connected to their landline , but no broadband will be pleased about that.

Indeed. Not just them but all sorts of things, lifts, alarm systems, security syems, little old ladies (and men) who have had their phone line since 1958, fax machines (as used extensively in the NHS), card payment machines and loads of places like back street garages, old boat yards etc. This list is not exhaustive. There is going to be chaos!

Edited by Alway Swilby
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Indeed. Not just them but all sorts of things, lifts, alarm systems, security syems, little old ladies (and men) who have had their phone line since 1958, fax machines (as used extensively in the NHS), card payment machines and loads of places like back street garages, old boat yards etc. This list is not exhaustive. There is going to be chaos!

or nobody will even notice the changeover? :) 

8 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I only need one. 

I'm moving end of month to Maghull seems round Liverpool Area and outskirts very good service on 3

On 07/02/2019 at 17:21, Glynn said:

Hi all,

Would this unlimited Three data deal also work in a mifi device which is a Three one, i.e. from the Three shop ?

It worked on my Huweei MIFI 4G Router even though a phone sim deal, even said in shop it would. It is totally uncapped the Unlimited Data.. Does not slow down at any time

Edited by Dawnrazor