Three unlimited data, minutes & texts £20

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

We called 3 today and were told this is not the right deal for us,

They said we need a broadband deal over just a standard sim deal as when you put that into a mobile broadband unit it absolutely zapps data.... we did 14g on a few films using a sim deal so we now pay £20 100gb of broadband and go binge.....

9 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

They said we need a broadband deal over just a standard sim deal as when you put that into a mobile broadband unit it absolutely zapps data.... we did 14g on a few films using a sim deal so we now pay £20 100gb of broadband and go binge.....

Don't know why they told you that - all the unlimited data is tetherable.  I'd complain and cancel in the cooling off period and take the unlimited everything deal!

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

How do you mean tetherable? 

We use it in a Mifi data thing that then hooks up to the tv and the tablets etc....can i use that sim for that then?

I'm posting this from a laptop via that very sim in a mifi.

But I think it's going to end up in a spare phone in hotspot mode, as it seems a shame to not use the unlimited minutes too!

1 hour ago, Matt&Jo said:

Sounds rubbish to me, data is data.  They have recently changed to unlimited tethering and the sims should work in a router, so you should be fine if that is how you want to use it.  I switched to the £20 deal when they first offered it on Black Friday.

11 hours ago, john6767 said:

Sounds rubbish to me, data is data.  They have recently changed to unlimited tethering and the sims should work in a router, so you should be fine if that is how you want to use it.  I switched to the £20 deal when they first offered it on Black Friday.

I've had sims  from 3 that work in a phone but not in a mifi/ router, and vice versa. They seem to be able to detect the device, unless you have a devious device.

Edited by Richard10002

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I've had sims  from 3 that work in a phone but not in a mifi/ router, and vice versa. They seem to be able to detect the device, unless you have a devious device.

Agreed. I phoned and said that my 20GB/month deal expires in 3 days so could I please have the £20 unlimited phone deal they’re offering and stick the sim into my mifi. He said no, it wouldn’t work, but I could have unlimited 4G data for £22/month with a free new dongle. Unlimited in this case means less than a terabyte per month. 

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I thought that the EU had outlawed that practice and that from something like last October phone sims will work in routers.  Certainly  when the new deal with unlimited tetherong came out for Black Friday lots of people were reporting on Facebook that they worked fine in a router.  Have you tried with this new package?

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

So has anyone tried the new 3 package in a router? 1 Tb per month seems a great deal.

Yes

Works perfectly.

If you get a Huawei 4G router NOT supplied by Three you can connect a domestic phone using a BT to RJ11 adaptor and make use of the unlimited calls, texts can be made and received via the routers set up webpage. I use the Huawei B525.

Three knobble the Huawei B311 router they supply with the Homefi package so that you cannot connect a homephone to it.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, sbainbridge said:

If you get a Huawei 4G router NOT supplied by Three you can connect a domestic phone using a BT to RJ11 adaptor and make use of the unlimited calls, texts can be made and received via the routers set up webpage. I use the Huawei B525.

Do you use this wired 12V or via 240V?

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Do you use this wired 12V or via 240V?

12 volts, I use a Cello (TV) 12 volt stabiliser (regulator) to power all 12 volt electronics & IT equipment to avoid voltage spikes and to ensure no high voltages from the charging system reach the equipment. It's available on Amazon/Ebay for about £9

3 hours ago, sbainbridge said:

Yes

Works perfectly.

Three knobble the Huawei B311 router they supply with the Homefi package so that you cannot connect a homephone to it.

Thanks for that.

13 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

13 hours ago, WotEver said:

Agreed. I phoned and said that my 20GB/month deal expires in 3 days so could I please have the £20 unlimited phone deal they’re offering and stick the sim into my mifi. He said no, it wouldn’t work, but I could have unlimited 4G data for £22/month with a free new dongle. Unlimited in this case means less than a terabyte per month. 

I guarantee they do work in a MiFi - I'm posting via one!

They used to block phone sims in mifis/dongles and vice versa, and they used to cap tethering (sharing data via cable or wifi) to 30 GB but they stopped doing both those things last year.

The current deal is that you can use all of your unlimited data as personal hotspot if you want, and the sim works fine in a mifi or other router.

Hello team. I've just got back from the Three shop in Oxford town centre, where I bought a £20 Unlimited SIM. I took my old ee MiFi device (Osprey Mini) along with me and explicitly said I was going to use the SIM in that for tethering. I asked first about the £25 100GB offer, and then when I mentioned the £20 Unlimited deal for comparison, the chap smiled and nodded. He said they're not allowed to advertise the fact that those SIMs can be used in unlocked MiFi devices, but if people specifically ask about it they can confirm there's no problem and sell them. I got passed on to another colleague to sign me up, who confirmed the same thing. They told me I'd need to activate the SIM on an unlocked phone first and wait for it to connect itself to the network. Once the 4G data connection was working on the phone and I'd received all the welcome texts, I could then put the SIM into any unlocked MiFi device. I've just done all that and am typing this now on my laptop, connected to the old unlocked ee MiFi device with the new Three SIM in it. So far so good.

Will report back if I hit any issues. 

I quizzed the guy a bit about the terms. Apparently the speeds don't get throttled after a certain amount of usage – it's always the fastest connection available. And the Go Binge bonus should work even on a Google Chromecast connected to a TV. So I've just cranked up my Netflix settings to High. Again, will report back if this causes any issues. All seems a bit too good to be true at the moment.

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, AftApeth said:

For anyone who cares about this stuff, on www.speedtest.net I'm currently getting:

Ping: 38 ms

Download speed: 14.27 Mbps

Upload speed: 13.81 Mbps

Particularly impressed with the upload speed.

I'm on Virgin's £20 per month for 100 gigbytes. We rarely use more than 30 gb per month and any unused data rolls over to next month so we always start each month with 200 gig. Latest speed test result:

8021950757.png

15 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I'm on Virgin's £20 per month for 100 gigbytes. We rarely use more than 30 gb per month and any unused data rolls over to next month so we always start each month with 200 gig. Latest speed test result:

8021950757.png

Amazing, isn’t it?  At home I’m on Virgin’s fastest fibre deal - 250Mbps. I regularly get over 200Mbps download but upload is limited to 20Mbps. Unless you buy a (very expensive by comparison) business deal.